Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, first up you don't know anything about grappling even remotely, and yet you're still posting.

Second, you missed the multitude of BJJ and grappling threads in this forum?
    This forum was advertised as a place to learn about BJJ whether you do it or not. I'm considering joining up in the spring, so yes, I've been reading the threads in here. The one about what to expect on your first day of BJJ was interesting. I don't know enough to get much out of the technique threads.

And yes, I posted in this thread without knowing about grappling. I have never pretended to have any knowledge of grappling, nor am I posting on that subject in this thread. This thread is not about grappling; it's about a Judo vs. knife demo Aesopian found and the fact that it sucks. And since the hijack, it's about whether that makes any sense in this forum, which was NOT advertised as a place for style-v-style trolling. I'll be back to lurking soon, but I had an opinion on that topic, so I posted it.

Third, are you just here to bitch instead of contributing? (which is obvious since you've really admitted to having no grappling knowledge)
    In this thread? Yes. My post was a complaint. Grappling knowledge would seem to be irrelevant.

And yes, typing opinions of Judo Knife defence is a BJJ technique.
    Ah, so.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 12:36pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:39pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Jesus.
    ... doesn't think this is funny either.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So wait, trying to defeat a knife weilding attacker by holding his foot isn't a good idea? Let me just write that one down, should come in handy...

P.S. Why the **** hasn't Captain Obvious been invoked in this thread yet?

On a more serious note though, won't 'real' BJJ and Judo knife defences both be almost identical? Why is everyone arguing?

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    So wait, trying to defeat a knife weilding attacker by holding his foot isn't a good idea? Let me just write that one down, should come in handy...

P.S. Why the **** hasn't Captain Obvious been invoked in this thread yet?

On a more serious note though, won't 'real' BJJ and Judo knife defences both be almost identical? Why is everyone arguing?
    Heh?I guess you're not talking about me?

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to argue. Plus, I don't know anything about BJJ or Judo, so I don't know that their knife defences should be almost identical. So, there's that.

Jesus.
    Ah, so.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Heh?I guess you're not talking about me?
    Hehe, I was refering to the image macro I've seen around these parts. It's cool though, you'll do. :P

Actually my question was serious, I thought Judo and BJJ were practically identical, they just place different emphasis on standup/ground work. Or are their training methods significantly different a la Judo and (Japanese) JuJitsu (sp?) at the time of Kano's 'reforms'? Basically, is BJJ an evolution or a revolution?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't use most BJJ knife defense either. The best progressive grappling system that involves knife defense is Karl Transwells S.T.A.B. system. It's a solid mix of concepts from weapons based martial arts and also grappling concepts as well. Sprinkle in Transwell's time as a door man and you have a solid conceptual system for dealing with knives.

As far as BJJ responses to knives, while I realize that the Gracies are not necessarily the Alpha and Omega, as JKDChick has pointed out in the past, they've published their fair share of god-awful, get-youself-turned-into-a-pin-cushion, knife defenses.*

In general appreciate an art for what its good for. Modern Judo prides itself on stand-up work. BJJ tends to be more ground focus. Neither is particularly concerned with weapons.

- Matt

* - in fairness, as pointed out before, none of these involved a hankerchief
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 12/27/2005 4:18pm at .
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 6:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeezyTheSnowman
    Ask a judo guy about his de la riva sweeps and see what happens.
    Ask a BJJ guy about his Khabarelli and see what happens.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 11:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian has a trolling/good posting ratio to keep up. He made a few good technique threads so he had to balance them out by thumbing his virtual nose at judo.

And guys, get a sense of humour!

Knife defense - drop to the floor and do a toe hold?! WTF?!
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast