Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin-ryu based mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikidoDeadlines
    Kind of off topic, but I am wondering about the style you do. What exactly is shorin-ryu based MMA? Do you do groundfighting in your shorin-ryu class? You mentioned aikido takedowns ... what styles do you incorperate in your "MMA"? Do you plan on competing in any MMA competitions?
    the techiques of the system (grappling, self defense, knife defense, club defense, etc.) are a mix of aikido, kung fu, judo and karate. Most of the defenses i've been taught have some kind of aikido technique....therefore i felt "Shorin-ryu based MMA" was the best short definition i could come up with.

I've been doing some research on my style and here is what i've found....

Martial Arts International (MAI) is a system founded from Joe Pagliuso's USKO style of karate and self defense. My head sensei is a 6th dan. The style's katas are comprised of all okinawan based katas although they employ a mix of Okinawan and Japanese names. In other words, they teach the Pinans (Oka) and Empi(Jap) as well as Kusanku Dai(Oka) and Kanku Sho(Jap).

I've been training for little over a year now. In the past year, my general MA knowledge is beyond anything i could've imagined. This is due to my general fascination with MA and my need for perfection. What i've learned is that there is so much out there to learn, that i'm still a NOOBIE in the general MA world...

I'm not interested in competing in MMA, as I have no desire to prove myself to anyone....I have some other opinions about "MMA" competition that I will express in some other thread....

anyone seen the Felony Fights DVDs...???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 7:53pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the older people I have trained with have been great. My current Judo instructor must be almost 70. Still fit and I have no chance of throwing him whatsoever.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 8:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin-ryu based mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    Some of the older people I have trained with have been great. My current Judo instructor must be almost 70. Still fit and I have no chance of throwing him whatsoever.
    yep i don't have a problem learning from an "older" person if they are "expert" in their respective style...

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 8:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slimeslayer: I'd say that you have stumbled upon a very interesting martial arts school. Stick with it, and you may be teaching some day.

However, most people consider "MMA" to apply to those that specifically train to compete in "MMA" events. Therefore, you'll probably get less crap if you just put "Shorin Ryu", or something like that.

There are a lot of guys here who actually compete in MMA...complete with spandex shorts, shaved head, grappling gloves. Some of them might get a bit irritated if they hear about someone claiming "MMA", while they're really training in "Progressive Shorin Ryu".

Again, no slight against your style or your training, as it sounds like you've stumbled onto a good teacher and system. I'm just saying that a duck shouldn't be ashamed to call itself a duck...so proclaim your duckness loud and proud!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123