Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slimeslayer
    i'm curious to know what everyone thinks about training with an older person...i'm talking like 65 years old...who is just starting to learn karate...

i've been training with someone who is at least 65 years old for little over a year now...i've easily overtaken him skillwise as i'm much younger (40ish) and much more driven...

while i like him personally, he is physically strong and has a strong will, he is very hard to train with as he has little control, little flexibility and seems short on memory...i try avoiding pairing up with him if i can...

i think he would be better suited to something like Krav than karate...should i tell him what i think or just deal with having to train with someone of his physical stature...???

Why do you think he would be better suited to Krav? Are you of the opinion it is an art for the old and lazy who are "physically strong", having "strong will", but are "hard to train with" because they have "little control, little flexibility" and no long term memory?

You have two questions regarding this gentleman floating around in your head. Don't confuse them and your choices will be easier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:24am

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    I've trained people who don't try hard.... if you think its intentional then try scaring them a bit. Hit them hard in safe areas a few times... don't apologise. Get their adrenalin pumping a little. It will motivate them to practice for their own protection.
    I have thought of that, and my brain would really like to do that for his sake, but I just can't bare to really give him a good smack. He has the face of an old turtle...It'd be like beating a defenseless animal.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:26am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just dont break a hip
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:28am

Style: FMA, JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like these issues have more to do with the person than the age.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consider it community service and put aside your own needs every now and then to make sure he's enjoying himself. He doesn't need to learn how to rip out throats or how to apply a flying juji-gatame...he just needs to enjoy himself.

He's there to get in shape and have fun...since a 65 year old intent on "self defense" would be learning how to use a firearm, OC Spray, and other more appropriate "means" than actual physical combat (for his age).

Still, you need to have at least one training partner that you can go "balls out" with, or else you'll find your pace equaling that of your older training partner...which isn't good.

By the way...I'd PM you, but you can't respond until you've got 10 posts...but we're having a Throwdown in North County San Diego at Januray 14th. Go to the "Throwdown" area and look for the "North San Diego Throwdown" links. We'd love to have you there.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple experiences with older guys.

When I first started grad school here (S.D.S.U.), I ended up talking to one of my professors about having practiced tai chi. He was in his sixties, from mainland China - never learned tai chi but was interested. So we put a club together and practiced one a week for a couple years. He never did learn the entire short form, but that didn't matter to him; he was near retired and living in pretty small town - he just liked tai chi for the movement.

(Other people, I did attempt to teach some of the martial aspects, but that's another story).

A few years a later, a judo club opened up in town. On the first night, I randori'd a bit with a 50+ y.o. who hadn't practice judo for 15 years. He still had pretty good form - having practiced and competed in judo pretty regularly in his 20's and 30's, and handled me pretty well.

But he wasn't able to play at a high enough level - this was against college-aged kids, one a former college wrestler - for his taste, so he dropped judo (and that left me coaching the club).

Somewhere around here there's a thread about a 60 y.o. MMA competitor.

I guess the real point is that some people, regardless of age, like to train hard and are capable; others less so. Sure, more people over 60 tend to be in the latter group, but there are plenty of good 60+ training partners, and plenty of 20 y.o. suckbags.

Do what you can, with the partners you have, and be glad you have any training partners at all.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin-ryu based mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Why do you think he would be better suited to Krav? Are you of the opinion it is an art for the old and lazy who are "physically strong", having "strong will", but are "hard to train with" because they have "little control, little flexibility" and no long term memory?
    no i'm not of the opinion that krav is for the "old and lazy"...from what i can tell about krav, there are no katas to learn....this is the big area the older person lacks...and the fact that he can't kick higher than the knee. haven't seen any high kicks in krav. the little i know about krav is from watching the classes they do at my dojo 3 times a week....

i have great respect for the person in question and I would never "NOT" train with him for any reason. I only mentioned the memory thing because he seems to take longer than the other students in the same class to learn new katas.

the other issue is learning new techniques....especially when it requires a aikido takedown or a kick to the solar....because he has little flexibility, it very hard to get a feel for the flow of the move...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:03pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of off topic, but I am wondering about the style you do. What exactly is shorin-ryu based MMA? Do you do groundfighting in your shorin-ryu class? You mentioned aikido takedowns ... what styles do you incorperate in your "MMA"? Do you plan on competing in any MMA competitions?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also a bit curious, as I studied with Mr. Reeds and Mr. Ackermon (6th dans) of Kenshin Kan, Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu very briefly down here in San Diego.

While considerably "progressive" in terms of traditional okinawan karate, they would hardly be considered "MMA".

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that you mention it, I've competed in MMA, I've got one student who competes in MMA, couple in training, but I don't consider what I do judo-based MMA.

Sorry, slimelayer, but it does make you sound like a nutrider.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast