Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin-ryu based mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

training w/old guy...

i'm curious to know what everyone thinks about training with an older person...i'm talking like 65 years old...who is just starting to learn karate...

i've been training with someone who is at least 65 years old for little over a year now...i've easily overtaken him skillwise as i'm much younger (40ish) and much more driven...

while i like him personally, he is physically strong and has a strong will, he is very hard to train with as he has little control, little flexibility and seems short on memory...i try avoiding pairing up with him if i can...

i think he would be better suited to something like Krav than karate...should i tell him what i think or just deal with having to train with someone of his physical stature...???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:47am

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say work with him. You can only care about someone else's training as much as they themselves do. That's my motto. So if I think this guy has great potential and could be a good fighter, but he doesn't really care, then I can only care that much.

If some guy comes in and he's 90 pounds of nothing but really, really wants to be something good, then I will help him as much as possible in reaching that goal.

So where does this guy stand in that? If he's only there for a little "Krotty" practice, then train with him accordingly. If he wants it for self-defense or just to be able to whip ass, but really has the drive, then bear with him and help him out as much as you can.

I don't like working with old people as much as the next, but if they're really trying to get something out of it...well, you get the picture.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. I'd rather work with someone who has trouble remembering stuff and gets carried away, but WANTS to train and get good vs. someone who is in his prime, but doesn't give a **** about what he's doing.

Also, in my experience, the person who wants to be there also helps YOU, since he makes sure you're doing everything right and really pushes you, whereas the other guy doens't really care.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realize that at 40 you are the "old guy" to most of us =P

As long as my training partner is doing the drill right, I like 'em. If they aren't, I don't. I prolly couldn't hit them hard in sparring though.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 2:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    You realize that at 40 you are the "old guy" to most of us =P

As long as my training partner is doing the drill right, I like 'em. If they aren't, I don't. I prolly couldn't hit them hard in sparring though.

Heh, the old guy I trained with (he's since moved on and out) was about 50 something.

The only thing I didn't like about training with him was he never really tried and I couldn't bring myself to hit him very hard.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 2:15am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You missed out. Old people are fun to hit.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate training partners that don't try hard. I feel like I just wasted a class.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I hate training partners that don't try hard. I feel like I just wasted a class.
    Yeah, I just try to get as much out of it as possible. I really hate going to class pumped up ready to rack em' and stack em' and then get stuck with the old guy most of the class.

It's good though that I'm a pretty personable guy, so when I say "Ok, let's switch partners up." everyone usually complies. I know that if I stay with him all class that I'll walk out of there feeling like I just got blue balls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 4:12am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained people who don't try hard.... if you think its intentional then try scaring them a bit. Hit them hard in safe areas a few times... don't apologise. Get their adrenalin pumping a little. It will motivate them to practice for their own protection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 4:23am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a friend into training a while ago. He was sort of enthusiastic for a few weeks, but then he got all lazy and didn't bother training hard. By the end, he'd just start throwing gym balls around or just sit there... I'm sort of glad he's stopped turning up now...
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast