232615 Bullies, 3943 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 120 of 127
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 12:52am


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still think that the concept of ranges is useful.
    I don't see how it could possibly limit me.

    Most currently practiced popular MAs have isolated one range and declared it IT.
    It is very useful to keep in mind that the range you are used to work at may not be IT, and that there may be more beyond it.

    What's so complicated about grappling and striking range?

    Tomas

    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    What I am saying is that holding on to ideas such as "this is weapons range", and this is "grappling range" and this is "striking range" is just a mental concept that in the will limit you, possibly severely.

    Everyone who says that there are certain set "ranges" can't even agree on what they are or how many their are.
    Current stage of death: denial
  2. TehDeadlyDimMak is offline
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,199

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:07am


     Style: Sanda, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose it might be a simple concept, but on the flip side I don't see how knowing the concept will benefit me either.

    I can grapple and strike without thinking about any concept of ranges can't I?
  3. Gumby is offline

    BJJ Purple Belt

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    881

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:39am


     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Yeah, the "similarities" ... which "escaped" detection and noting by "science" for how many years?
    Similarities between organisms can be found at every level. Every mammal, amphibian, and reptile has the same makeup in a skeletal system- same types of bones and such that make up its structure. If you dont believe that humans (and all other animals) do not share a common ancestor, why do you think that scientists use animals to experiment on? Fact of the matter is that humans share about 95% of the same genes with other mammals. Its not the genes that define organisms so much, but rather gene expression.



    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Dude, you are clueless. Within the range of survival the Human Condition rules. We are echelons above any thing else and most definitely represent a superior end product in evolution. Yeah, right, it was only the primates in certain locations that were forced to evolve ... the rest were - are doing so well. That's why absent Government intervention the only "surviving" apes would be in fucking zoos.
    Humans as homo sapiens have survived for about 100,000 years. Bacteria and Fungus have survived for about a billion. Right now the odds greatly favor those organisms over us. If an asteroid hits the planet and eradicates all large creatures, then bacteria would have proven more "fit" to survive than humans. As far as apes going extinct, thats due to recent interaction with humans over the past hundred years or so. Evolution acts over tens of thousands of generations, which is not going to be achieved in a hundred years. Right now humans bring to the plate the ability to control their destiny and evolutionary track, something that (as we know) no other organism have ever been able to do. Its an experiment which is working at the moment, but to only have been around for a couple thousand years and claim to be the best created when life stretches back to almost a billion years is difficult- if we prove to be too smart for our own good, then intelligence wouldnt end up an evolutionary dead end and failure.



    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Cite to the specific factors that resulted in variation - evolution that resulted in our coming into being. Seems a reasonable thing to simply recreated those conditions and *presto* ape turns (selects out to) Human. You post speculation and thread bare theory as if it's fact ... fact is ... what you posted is bullshit.
    Not as much bullshit as you would like to think- one needs only look at the fossil record to see the advancement of humans and other primates. Theres much research that supports these theories, certainly much more supports it than does disprove it




    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Dude, go **** yourself. Those that truly hold to a belief in God don't sweat out what some tax payer supported shitrat in a white lab coat does or says. WTF is your malfunction? A belief as such neither requires nor solicits "proof" within the realm of the rational ... mutually exclusive.
    Arent you a toughguy to talk **** to people on the internet? When someone holds a conversation and you dont like the way its going you start throwing out insults. Its been said that no amount of evidence can change the pure believers mind- you are certainly one of those pure believers



    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Your (mis)understanding of Religion is laughable.
    Not quite as much as your misunderstanding of science



    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    I've studied the authoritative texts of more than a few Religions and the key is inclusion not exclusion you fucking narrow minded bigot. Now go play with your Legos and try not to get into any trouble today. The BEAST
    The key to holding a conversation is to propose different ideas supported by evidence and then use that evidence to argue one point over another. If the only thing you can do is scream "shut up you're wrong" and can provide anything to support it, you're going to make yourself look ridiculous.
  4. Jitsuman is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    556

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:08am


     Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pwned.
  5. I aint punchy!? is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    686

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 5:04am


     Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry but JFS's post was so stupid I just had to write something:



    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Yeah, the "similarities" ... which "escaped" detection and noting by "science" for how many years?
    Its been known since embryology was first started as a science... and resulted in the term 'ontogeny recapitulates ontogeny'.


    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Dude, you are clueless. Within the range of survival the Human Condition rules. We are echelons above any thing else and most definitely represent a superior end product in evolution. Yeah, right, it was only the primates in certain locations that were forced to evolve ... the rest were - are doing so well. That's why absent Government intervention the only "surviving" apes would be in fucking zoos.
    Again you have no idea what is meant by evolution. We are not apes... and we did not evolve from apes. The primates that survived into recorded history a but a few small branches of a very specious group -- a bush of primates to push that metaphor further.



    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Cite to the specific factors that resulted in variation - evolution that resulted in our coming into being. Seems a reasonable thing to simply recreated those conditions and *presto* ape turns (selects out to) Human. You post speculation and thread bare theory as if it's fact ... fact is ... what you posted is bullshit.
    Again you show you don't seem to understand basic science (sometimes) taught to 15-year-olds. Evolution doesn't result in one species being changed into another. We are talking about minor genetic changes. You should know that you are 99.8% genetically similar to the chimpanzee... So that you don't post anything glaringly more stupid I'll point out that the chimp aint our ancestor neither.


    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Dude, go **** yourself. Those that truly hold to a belief in God don't sweat out what some tax payer supported shitrat in a white lab coat does or says. WTF is your malfunction? A belief as such neither requires nor solicits "proof" within the realm of the rational ... mutually exclusive.
    Listen, belief in God shouldn't require scientists to be well behave and not look under the rug of reality in case some religious house of cards comes falling down.


    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    I've studied the authoritative texts of more than a few Religions and the key is inclusion not exclusion you fucking narrow minded bigot. Now go play with your Legos and try not to get into any trouble today. The BEAST
    You come across as very spiritually enlightened.
  6. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:41pm


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I suppose it might be a simple concept, but on the flip side I don't see how knowing the concept will benefit me either.

    I can grapple and strike without thinking about any concept of ranges can't I?
    If you haven't been conditioned to think in terms of your chosen "dominant" range, then "ranges" won't help you. However if you spend over a decade in an environment where the grappling range was thought not to exist (like me), you'll (I'll) find the concept heplful.

    Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
  7. xingyifa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    696

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 3:00pm


     Style: none currently

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    I'm about 2 pages late, but oh well.

    In defense of JFS, "close combat" training in the military really varies a lot. The absence of a Company Commander typically throws the concept of "military order" straight out the window.

    Non Company PT is usually pretty loose and unstructured, since most military guys are sick of company runs and coordinated grass drills. As such, training with the US Army Wrestling team probably involved pretty loose and variable sessions...rather than strict wrestling stuff.

    While I was getting hours for the MAI qual in MCMAP, "classes" usually consisted of a bunch of Marines beating on each other in inventive ways until we got bored. Sometimes we'd run through the syllabus...other times we'd have an experienced BJJ player run through lock drills...and sometimes we'd do freestyle knife drills with chalk.

    Therefore, I'm not really surprised that "forward thinking" exercises were used during JFS' time training with the US Army, and any serviceman that attended such sessions can attest to that.
    I'm former military too. In fact, where I was stationed, there was quite a bit of grappling combatives training. I was just curious why the army wrestling team was training to do takedowns on a striker...especially back in JFS's time when the whole striking vs. grappling line of thought probably wasn't as prevalent. Again...sorry if my comments sounded more smartass than I meant them.
  8. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,526

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 3:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing vs. Wrestling matches aren't a new phenomenon. They go back further than this, but Gene Lebell's bio would be a good place to start reading about them.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.
  9. wakinonioi is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    koko
    Posts
    1,704

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 3:44pm


     Style: Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fags
    [b]

    You go to Japan, you go to Hong Kong, you go to Korea. These people respect all arts, and they respect other martial artist. If they don't think a school got what it takes, they keep it to themselves. :

    That's an offensive generalization. :bs:
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.
  10. wakinonioi is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    koko
    Posts
    1,704

    Posted On:
    12/27/2005 3:46pm


     Style: Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fags
    [b]I realize a lot of people here has Small Man Syndrome. And talking trash disrespecting other people is the only way these people can balance their own self-esteem.:

    So according to this anti-rant of yours you must be, what, two feet tall?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.