Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:51pm

Style: Ex-HFYWC, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Gracies are learning Wing Chun now!?!?!

LINK

In the past, WC was never seen dealing with grapplers, not to say it was not with-in the systems that are out there. Nevertheless, you are correct when you say that a bunch of people have added grappling to learn how to defend against it. This is probable because they truly never had a complete system! Just a thought!
    In other words, only "complete systems" such as Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun can take on groundfighters and grapplers.

I still say that you shouldn’t go to the ground. If you are put on the ground by an attack then one has misunderstood the proper time and space to use their style of WC, or its what they are using. not truly knowing their WC and how to use it. This may be due to the lack of principle/concepts or lack of understanding of those principles and concepts.
    Yes. Just learn principles and concepts, know your "time and space", and you'll be takedown proof!!!

As far as grappling is concerned. Yes, it can appear intimidating at first. But once you find your WC focus, and separate your thinking from all the BJJ/JUDO/Wrestling techniques, then it is much much more easy to focus on what actually is going on.
    Once you find your "Wing Chun focus" you can take those BJJ/Judo/Wrestling types on!

There is no new technology in hand to hand combat. We have not developed any third arm, or leg that can bend in any direction. We are stuck with the same tools that our ancestors had. To be honest, grappling was one of the first martial arts right?? So if anything, they need to evolve.
    Yes. All you grapplers out there...YOU guys need to evolve! You guys are waaaay behind those Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun guys!

Many doubt the integrity/validity of the UFC in the Gracie years, but that's another conversation.
    Two words for Wing Chunners who want to talk about the validity of the UFC:

Asbel Cancio.

Regardless, strikers are winning those competitions again. Turns our learning the ground battle wasn't that hard for them. And now you have the Gracies learning WC. Go figure....

And the Gracies are learning Wing Chun now!?!?!
    Last edited by GhostDog68; 12/24/2005 1:17pm at .

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 12:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun is notorious for this type of mentality.... But the Gracies learning WC? Maybe so they can parody it...? :P
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    Wing chun is notorious for this type of mentality.... But the Gracies learning WC? Maybe so they can parody it...? :P
    I recall someone once saying Royce Gracie was a black belt in Shotokan as a way of saying it's a meritous style over on Myspace
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    Wing chun is notorious for this type of mentality....
    Very true bro.

And this particular branch of Wing Chun takes this mentality to a NEW LEVEL.

But the Gracies learning WC? Maybe so they can parody it...? :P
    LOL!

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 1:45pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone please verify one of the Gracies learning WC? I can't imagine Royce or Rickson doing it, but perhaps one of the more unknown brothers got sucked in...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 3:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Can someone please verify one of the Gracies learning WC? I can't imagine Royce or Rickson doing it, but perhaps one of the more unknown brothers got sucked in...
    I haven't come across anything like this anywhere. The claim seems to be the logical outcome of our little Hung Fa Yi fantasy fu warrior's chain-of-thought:

1. BJJers are now being pwn3d by stand up fighters in the UFC;
    2. Wing Chun is the ULTIMATE stand up system;

Ergo: The Gracies are now embracing Wing Chun.

And just remember what else he's claiming: Wing Chun in general, and Hung Fa Yi in particular, represents the end result and perfection of martial art's evolution. By contrast, those grappling systems still have a long way to go!

So the Gracies must embrace Wing Chun in order to catch up on martial arts evolution bro!

They're, like, so behind and stuff.
    Last edited by GhostDog68; 12/24/2005 3:37pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 4:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 4:13pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carlson Gracie came and did a seminar at our school.

Course I'd never heard of the guy so I didn't go...

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 5:47pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't this like the 10th "anti-grabbling" in WC/VT thread on here in the past week? Sheesh people. :P

And yeah, I've heard that same Gracie rumor too, and I'm curious exactly what it entails. I know that one of the Gracies was doing seminars with a WC guy, sort of like a "best of both worlds" type thing, but I haven't seen Gracies "giving up" their stuff to actively pursue WC/VT.

And yes, WC/VT does address "anti-grappling" (and sometimes better than what some of the videos popping up in all of those other threads about this seem to show). It typically deals with "shifting" weight, staying rooted, and *trying* not to go down. However, as my sifu says, if it doesn't work it doesn't work, so find your answer somewhere else. I'd say it (it being a VT answer) works for him, but it doesn't, yet, work for me. Maybe my sifu is just a little more open-minded than others, but I'll give you this example of how some of our VT classes go:

We were having a "what are you curious about today" kind of class and started working on bear-hug and basic escape things. We were just figuring things out and finding out what worked, and where VT fit in. After a little bit, my sifu said, "I know you're curious about that bear-hug thing, but what is the thing that really scares you. And, don't be a ***** about it. If VT doesn't work, it doesn't work. What is the thing you really worry about." So we started working on the RNC (rear naked choke).

I put a basic RNC on him and he said, "Sometimes, when the other person is being really mean, you just have to be meaner." He showed some ways to include flesh-tearing, nut-grabs, eye-gouges... that sort of thing. But then he was like, "But that's not what you're looking for. Go ahead and go all the way, and I'll see if VT has a simpler, sorta nicer answer as well. And don't be a ***** about it. I know how to tap."

I gave it at least a good 90%. I pulled him back off his feet, hid my fingers when his hands came up, and wrenched his head forward. He still dropped back into his stance and was able to place his shoulders into a good position, twist his head and body around, and shove my body away from him and force my arms out of the RNC. It was the best "answer" I've seen for that. And it really didn't take him getting "mean" to counter me either.

Then again, as per the complaint normally given against WC/VT, we didn't spend time working on that, as it was not the sort of thing beginning or even intermediate VT guys learn or work on (maybe that should change?). And I don't think I could come close to doing it myself (yet). :P But my sifu was very open minded, and at the same time very traditional. He even made sure to ask what I thought about it, as opposed to declaring that what he did was the answer. He also asked if I messed up at all and wanted to do it again.

This was very different than when something like this happened in my old karate classes. Then again, it wasn't my head instructor there, but one of the black-belts that often taught. I put in maybe 25%, and when that guy wrenched me around I let go because he was spinning in circles and obviously out of control of the situation (and I thought I was about to break his neck). He then went on about how he "showed" me that the RNC was nothing, but instead I sat there thinking that he had proven the exact opposite.

*shrug*

So maybe all I'm trying to say here is that at least with my sifu there are more open minded schools out there that don't share that "Simply do this approach and everything is peaches!" while at the same time confirming that it's not the sort of thing that is thought of as being "simply" countered by WC/VT.

Dagon

P.S. I'm really annoyed that Fox News keeps calling Putin's judo gi his "kimono". Fuking Eeediots!

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 5:48pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, that was a lot longer that I had hoped or thought :new_xmas:
Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast