View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

    38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

    62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

    31 23.66%
Page 9 of 17 First ... 5678910111213 ... Last

Thread: Judo Or Bjj?

  1. #81

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    299
    Style
    Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Fiction Pimp.

    Your doing the right thing. Your on a winner, there dude. Don't waste any more time with Aikido. **** it off. You don't need it. Keep Judo and take up BJJ aswell and that's pretty much all you'll ever need.
    Provided he learns striking at some point....can't neglect the effectiveness of putting your fist into another mans' face at high speed.

    :ninja7:

    Oh one more thing...you don't have to train 3 nights a week in a style to make progess...I do judo twice a week and I'm making progess....I generally do kickboxing twice a week (sometimes 3 times) and I'm making progress.
    Last edited by The Limey; 1/05/2006 5:49pm at .

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will definatly take up striking at some point. But I want to get a little bit of judo/bjj competitions under my belt first. Once I have some level of skill I'll start going to the MT/MMA class the BJJ school offers.

  3. #83
    Teh El Macho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,743
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, a bit off-topic, but, how do you find Aikido? I've never taken it, and people around here seem to think of it as the bubolic plague. So my question would be what has Aikido added to your game? Not trying to be an ass, but I'm just impartially curious.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Hmmm, a bit off-topic, but, how do you find Aikido? I've never taken it, and people around here seem to think of it as the bubolic plague. So my question would be what has Aikido added to your game? Not trying to be an ass, but I'm just impartially curious.

    Well, mostly I find it helps with proper distance and timing more then anything. It also really improved my ukemi. Technique wise its going to take a lot of dedicated practice to get anywhere. We are talking a lot of low percentage technques. The main problem is they are presented with an understanding that you have done a previous martial art and you understand combat. This is not always true and thus why there is so much 'dance' aikido crap out there. These guys never learned how to fight and rather then learn how they fake it with their dance. But there is very little you can pick up in say 6 months of aikido and use on the street with much success.

    But if you want an art you can train in your 80's to keep you mentally and physically fit and the possiblity you might be able to defend yourself then its a good time. I never trained it with the 'I'm going to kick ass with this' mindset. I've always trained it because it is hard to do and keeps my mind and body sharp. Proper timing and distance is a must when you are attempting a 3 man randori. Even if they are using prescribed horrible punches and grabs (You still dont know whats comming, from what direction, or if its going to be one two or all three at once, so if you can't set the distance and if your timing sucks you are just going to be stumbling around).

    So if you are looking for imediate self defense on the street, I would say look elsewhere. Sure there are a few controls and locks you can pick up quickly, but the majority of the techniques are way to complicated to pick up in a few months and perform under pressure of a real attack. Well at least for me, I find I can already leverage my judo technqiues with much greater success then any of my aikido techniques.

  5. #85

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    299
    Style
    Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Well, mostly I find it helps with proper distance and timing more then anything. It also really improved my ukemi. Technique wise its going to take a lot of dedicated practice to get anywhere. We are talking a lot of low percentage technques. The main problem is they are presented with an understanding that you have done a previous martial art and you understand combat. This is not always true and thus why there is so much 'dance' aikido crap out there. These guys never learned how to fight and rather then learn how they fake it with their dance. But there is very little you can pick up in say 6 months of aikido and use on the street with much success.

    But if you want an art you can train in your 80's to keep you mentally and physically fit and the possiblity you might be able to defend yourself then its a good time. I never trained it with the 'I'm going to kick ass with this' mindset. I've always trained it because it is hard to do and keeps my mind and body sharp. Proper timing and distance is a must when you are attempting a 3 man randori. Even if they are using prescribed horrible punches and grabs (You still dont know whats comming, from what direction, or if its going to be one two or all three at once, so if you can't set the distance and if your timing sucks you are just going to be stumbling around).

    So if you are looking for imediate self defense on the street, I would say look elsewhere. Sure there are a few controls and locks you can pick up quickly, but the majority of the techniques are way to complicated to pick up in a few months and perform under pressure of a real attack. Well at least for me, I find I can already leverage my judo technqiues with much greater success then any of my aikido techniques.

    That pretty much sums up what I've seen of Aikido. If you practise for 20 years you'll be pretty good at defending yourself.....but if you did judo for 2 year you'd be just as good. From my limited understanding of Aikido as a self defense method it's not useless, but it takes so long to become proficient at it that it's useless until you get to a high level of mastery. Thus compared to most other fighting styles it appears useless...and to be honest if you're doing martial arts to learn self defense you time would be better spent doing just about anything aside from Aikido.

  6. #86
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    Style
    BJJ - Homeland Security
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    Oh one more thing...you don't have to train 3 nights a week in a style to make progess...I do judo twice a week and I'm making progess....I generally do kickboxing twice a week (sometimes 3 times) and I'm making progress.
    Depends on your definition of progress. Where I come from, three times per week is the minimum.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    That pretty much sums up what I've seen of Aikido. If you practise for 20 years you'll be pretty good at defending yourself.....but if you did judo for 2 year you'd be just as good. From my limited understanding of Aikido as a self defense method it's not useless, but it takes so long to become proficient at it that it's useless until you get to a high level of mastery. Thus compared to most other fighting styles it appears useless...and to be honest if you're doing martial arts to learn self defense you time would be better spent doing just about anything aside from Aikido.
    I like how people say that an art is ineffective in the short term yet pat everyone's head encouragingly with promise of long-term success. Without getting into Big-O notation, the only long-term reward for taking something less effective is a nice big bleeding ulcer of regret brought on through your wasting of time.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/06/2006 1:06am at .

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    299
    Style
    Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Depends on your definition of progress. Where I come from, three times per week is the minimum.
    Progress would be defined as getting better in your respective martial art.
    Things such as becoming a better fighter, faster, stronger, smarter, hitting harder, better balance, better defenses (block, deflect, slip) all count as progress.

    And what do you mean 3 times a week is the minimum? Minimum for what? Meeting your grading requirements? If so that's bullshit....# of classes attended does not mean you're better than someone who comes less. Different people progress at different rates. I hate when schools say "this many classes qualifies you to grade". It should be "this skill level qualifies you to grade"

    If you're not talking # of classes to grade can you explain please 'cus otherwise I don't know what you mean.

    Oh, and nice to see another 40k player on here :)

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    281
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I've had a little over 2 months training in judo.
    I wanted to get a little more indepth on the ground and last night I attended a bjj class. I got wrecked. Both physically and technically.
    Why would this come as a surprise to you?

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give BJJ a try, but it's not that freely available round here. But you, a Judo novice, went to a BJJ club and got schooled. That sounds pretty much like normal service to me.

    Drop your Aikido as fast as you can. Judo and BJJ look to complement each other really well.
    Good luck with it.

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWest
    Why would this come as a surprise to you?

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give BJJ a try, but it's not that freely available round here. But you, a Judo novice, went to a BJJ club and got schooled. That sounds pretty much like normal service to me.

    Drop your Aikido as fast as you can. Judo and BJJ look to complement each other really well.
    Good luck with it.

    Not a surpise, just stating the obvious. I was no where in the physical shape I thought I was in. While I am usually very spent by the end of a judo class. I thought we worked very hard in judo, but I was almost spent by the end of the warm ups in this bjj class. These guys work out hard. I'm not sure if thats the norm, but it definatly showed me how crappy my physical shape is. I expected to get rocked technically, but I didn't expect to have a hard time just lasting the class without passing out from exhaustion. I've decided i'm going to talk to my aikido teacher. I want to explain to him exactly why I'm doing what i'm doing. Its his fault really cause he's the one who encouraged me to cross train and really was constantly pointing out good schools in the area. I really want to still train aikido on my one off day of judo and bjj if he will let me. I find it relaxing and I just generally feel better after a aikido class. But I'll understand if he doesn't want me to do to my lack of commitment. I still love the aikido philosphy, but my martial art goals have moved to a much more competitive role. So I'll train judo/bjj for a while and see where that leads me.

  10. #90
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    Style
    BJJ - Homeland Security
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    Progress would be defined as getting better in your respective martial art.
    Things such as becoming a better fighter, faster, stronger, smarter, hitting harder, better balance, better defenses (block, deflect, slip) all count as progress.

    And what do you mean 3 times a week is the minimum? Minimum for what? Meeting your grading requirements? If so that's bullshit....# of classes attended does not mean you're better than someone who comes less. Different people progress at different rates. I hate when schools say "this many classes qualifies you to grade". It should be "this skill level qualifies you to grade"

    If you're not talking # of classes to grade can you explain please 'cus otherwise I don't know what you mean.
    I mean you need to put in six or more hours a week to be considered a serious student. This isn't some artificial distinction either; last fall I was coming in every day of the week and noticed a huge improvement. I was also demolishing people who came in less frequently.

Page 9 of 17 First ... 5678910111213 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO