223984 Bullies, 3935 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:49pm

Style: Luta Livre

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I didn’t read the whole threat and I hope you haven’t decided yet where to train.

You want to choose Judo over BJJ? Are you nuts? Judo is a great art and all, but if you can choose…

People on this board keep making comments about how much better judo is in Europe than it is in the states. Well, I live in Europe… and I have to say...

Judo blackbelts visiting our school are getting tapped by our whitebelts and they even have trouble to throw them. The “Guard” isn’t a concept to them at all. In addition Bjj here is very rare and our school would properly be considered as below average measured by US-standards.

regards
    vonstein

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh ?

You must have some shithouse Judo clubs in Europe for that to happen. WHich ****-head gave them rank ? I have a friend who trains in BJJ. He is a whitebelt but he trains under a Bluebelt BJJ instructor. Now my friend attended a session at my Judo club and he got tapped by pur yellow belts easy.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Actually I know that for a fact. Its what my Judo club does and you would be hard pressed to find a better one.
    Have you ever attended a BJJ school and participated in class? Judoka always say they have an equivalent ground game without realizing the magnitude of the forces they're dealing with.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 9:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Have you ever attended a BJJ school and participated in class? Judoka always say they have an equivalent ground game without realizing the magnitude of the forces they're dealing with.

Okay. Now your pissing me off.

Yes I have attended a BJJ class (only 2) and yes they are awsome ground fighters.I explained this in my previous post further up the page. BJJ is too far for me to get to and costs too much. WHich is why I chose Judo. Its 5 mins from my house and is less than half the price. ANd my coach used to train the Australian Mens Olympic Judo team.

Now BJJ guys (and gals) are the best on the ground. I can see that,so can my instructor and the people I train with. I never once said Judo players have a superior ground game. But wait ! Here's the catch..... Ready for it ? Here it comes.....

BJJ guys spend all (or most) of thier time doing ground work.
    Judo guys spend about 50% of the time working throws and stand up grappling and 50% of the time groundfighting. At least my club does anyway.

The sixty thousand dollar question is who do you thing will have stronger skills on the ground ?
    Answer:BJJ guys, because do ground fighting more often, not because they invented something new makes sense yes ?

My point is if you want decent groundfighting skills and a complete grappling package, a quality Judo club can give you that. BJJ is an awsome art which has carved a name for itself but don't write off Judo yet.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They both suck, so...

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    BJJ guys spend all (or most) of thier time doing ground work.
    Guess how much time I spent doing standup work today in a 2.5hr class.

The sixty thousand dollar question is who do you thing will have stronger skills on the ground ?
    Answer:BJJ guys, because do ground fighting more often, not because they invented something new makes sense yes ?
    Given its use in the other grappling arts, BJJ invented the guard.

My point is if you want decent groundfighting skills and a complete grappling package, a quality Judo club can give you that. BJJ is an awsome art which has carved a name for itself but don't write off Judo yet.
    Judo does not allow submissions beyond chokes and armlocks and has counter-productive rules like being able to stand out of a triangle choke. Therefore Judo is not complete.

Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    They both suck, so...
    What are you, some kind of catch wrestler? Shouldn't you be fixing your tractor and talking to ghosts?
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/04/2006 11:14pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    When did JJJ become a recommending factor for MMA training?
    That's right... never.

Judo is great, but you're unlikely to get much focus on MMA from it. Your chances are far better with bjj.
    Yeah cause Carlos Newton never did **** with his plain old Jiu-Jitsu

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I share my martial arts lineage with guys like Kimura, Sakuraba, Sato, the Shamrocks, Funaki, etc. If you go back far enough, yep, that's catch wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:31pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to be some major BJJ nutriding happening.

Look, if all you do is groundwork of course you'll be better on the ground than a guy who does throws and groundwork combined. That's common sense.

That means you'll be better on the ground than the average Judo guy because he doesn't spend almost the entire time learning to fight on the ground.

Judo has a ground game. Judo has a SOLID ground game. Get the **** over it! Is it as complete or as good as the BJJ ground game? Of course fucking not...because judo guys do more than just groundwork so they'll never get the same level of experience/instruction on the ground as the average bjj guy.

But to sit there and say judoka suck ass on the ground and will never beat a bjj guys is just plain nutriding.

My judo club splits the time roughly 50/50 between groundwork and throws same as Hannibals.

If you're going to sit there and say judoka suck ass on the ground you're a moron and you can just STFU. On the other side if you're going to say the average judoka is a match for the average bjj guy on the ground you're a moron too and can just STFU.

Judo has a solid ground game
    BJJ has a better ground game
    BJJ - I assume it has a solid throwing/takedown game (never done it so not sure)
    Judo has a better throwing/takedown game

Either way you won't ever be a complete fighter with just judo or bjj.

A complete fighter should have:

~striking
    ~clinching
    ~throws/takedowns
    ~grappling/submissions
    ~headbutts if you're a Brit.
    Last edited by The Limey; 1/04/2006 11:35pm at .

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, if all you do is groundwork of course you'll be better on the ground than a guy who does throws and groundwork combined. That's common sense.
    Not really, if you suck at takedowns...you'll just get dominated anyway. Balance is key, which is why I like neither. No wrestling takedowns=no good to me.

Also, with my training I went to a Judo club and was taking down and tapping some of the black belts at will, forget the rest of the students. And that was with a year of training...because they lacked wrestling takedowns, and submission expertise, they couldn't compete, which was pathetic, because I'm not that good.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast