230700 Bullies, 4082 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Do you post points or just non-sequiters and strawmen?
    Really, I'm curious as I'm new here.
    Firstly I ment coach.

Secondly what do you mean by strawmen ? I'm not up to speed with American 'lingo'.

Thirdly I was just stating how Judo can be beneficial to MMA training and should not be discounted by any means. Just thought I'd give my reasons for why I chose Judo. I can't think of any other martial art that gives as much value for money.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're interested in MMA competition, I'd say find a place that trains no-gi BJJ. However I've heard that gi BJJ is good to start with, because it forces you to maintain good posture, which really helps your no-gi game. But honestly, they're two different worlds, gi BJJ is all about grips, where no-gi is much more about the scramble.

Even with all that, no-gi BJJ isn't the same as the MMA groundgame (no punches, knees, upkicks etc.) but it's a good foundation.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KumaOni
    BJJ is almost always better geared for someone who wants to do something more than just grapple. Judo is good and all, but there is a lot left to be desired...

BJJ for you!
    That's true. The reason I decided to do BJJ over Judo was because the school was geared towards MMA and had MMA classes, too.

But still, it's not like you'll have wasted your time with Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:44pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    I can't think of any other martial art that gives as much value for money.
    Litteraly. Judo is probably cheapest and most widely spread MA that's non-bullshido. Too bad popularity of Judo is kind of in delicining state in northeastern USA.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic: LOL at UmpLumpa's quote.

When I told my new girlfriend I took Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, she was calling it Zhoo-Zitsu for at least a week!

At which I teased her mercilessly.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Secondly what do you mean by strawmen ? I'm not up to speed with American 'lingo'.
    Or, apparently, reasoned discourse.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a no-brainer from start to finish.

If you want a ground game - it's BJJ all the way. All else being equal, that's what BJJ is all about. Forget about everything else.

Simply put, Judo is about throwing and stand-up grappling. In this field, it can't be beat. BJJ is a distillation of judo in the ground game; ergo if you want a ground game play BJJ.

You will tend to find that it is the newer judoka (usu below 1st Dan) that have an inferiority complex about BJJ and make all sorts of excuses. Well, this is something that judoka have to get over or they will definetely end up playing second fiddle in the ground fighting stakes.

Your average judo coach will not have a polished or strategic ground game, nor should he have. He can probably fight effectively and defend competently - but that is a million miles away from having the understanding that a BJJ coach has.

In the same way that your average BJJ coach isn't a throwing god unless he has a judo background. Sure, he can do the pick ups and probably a few hip and shoulder throws with a degree of effectiveness.

It isn't how much a judo coach or bjj coach can beat a beginner (or even advanced student) at their secondary skill - it's the deeper understanding and experience that you are after. The knowldge of combinations and counters as well as timing is often what is missing of you go to the "wrong" source to learn grappling.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    This is a no-brainer from start to finish.

If you want a ground game - it's BJJ all the way. All else being equal, that's what BJJ is all about. Forget about everything else.

Simply put, Judo is about throwing and stand-up grappling. In this field, it can't be beat. BJJ is a distillation of judo in the ground game; ergo if you want a ground game play BJJ.
    Not true at all. The impression I get from this statment is Judo is about throws end of story. Judo has a solid ground fighting game and had one long before BJJ came on the scene. A decent Judo club will give thier students decent training in both areas.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not true at all. The impression I get from this statment is Judo is about throws end of story. Judo has a solid ground fighting game and had one long before BJJ came on the scene. A decent Judo club will give thier students decent training in both areas.
    You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    You will tend to find that it is the newer judoka (usu below 1st Dan) that have an inferiority complex about BJJ and make all sorts of excuses.
    Hi Hannibal!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?
    Actually I know that for a fact. Its what my Judo club does and you would be hard pressed to find a better one.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast