223550 Bullies, 4259 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:34am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman
    I don't know if it's been said before, but a good BJJ school should involve takedowns and a good Judo school should involve groundwork. So, I'd check some schools and see which one covers more areas. However, you can't argue with free. ;)
    I'll second that. Watch out for purely sportive Judo, where you only learn things that will score for you in competition. A good school will also teach you lots of ground work. I've heard that a some old timer judoka rumble that the stuff that is currently taught in some olympic schools isn't what they remember doing. It can tend to be more of a sport-only derivative. Maybe someone more qualified than me in Judo can share their observations on this sportive vs. old-school Judo point.

That would be my only trouble with Judo. Their focus may vary, depending on the school. With BJJ, there's a bit more consistency.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman
    Take Judo, if for no other reason than when you are boxing a guy and get to the retarded boxing clinch, you'll instinctively throw the guy on his head and everyone will be all like "WTF LOL"
    Best arguement yet. :chewy:

Thanks everyone, you've helped me decide to go with Judo. The throwing people on their heads is great, and turns out with the judo club I get lots more than just Judo. Plus it's closer to my house...

Oaks Fitness Club and USJA membership allows for FREE judo and jujitsu classes/lessons. Promotion testing and belts are free.

Swimming pool, tennis courts, sauna, showers, weight and fitness equipment are included with membership.

Also free are classes in Cuong Nhu, which includes aikido, shotokan karate, vovinam, tai-chi, wing chun, and kickboxing.

Aerobics classes are free, too. Most of these classes are held on other evenings/days from judo and jujitsu, but aerobics classes are most evenings. Facilities for exercise and swimming and tennis are always available. We are truly a non-profit club!
    can't really beat that, plus I get some weird traditional MMA thing I might check out to make fun of WC *and* Aikido at the same time.

Anyone know what "vovinam" is? Makes me think of voldo from soul caliber...
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vovinam is a Vietnamese martial art.

http://www.vietdefense.com/
    Last edited by FHoppy; 12/23/2005 12:37pm at . Reason: Add link
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 8:02pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is almost always better geared for someone who wants to do something more than just grapple. Judo is good and all, but there is a lot left to be desired...

BJJ for you!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 8:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a hard decision. But I would have to say go with Judo. For self defense purposes Judo is more complete.

I like Judo because of the 50/50 split between ground fighting and stand up grappling. The truth of the matter is you need to know both. A decent Judo club will give you that. Throws are very effective fight enders, especially on people who are not grapplers. You still get your fair share of ground fightining with Judo. Not as much as BJJ sure, but enough to get by.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 12:51am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Thanks everyone, you've helped me decide to go with Judo.
    Judo wins again!

All nut riding aside, Judo will teach you the basics of grappling both ground and standing, but keep in mind that Judo tournament rules are rather restrictive and that as a novice it is harder to throw someone who is not wearing a Gi. Both arts, BJJ and Judo, work well together. After a few months of Judo, avail yourself of any opportunity to roll with wrestlers or BJJ guys. Also go the first Judo tournament you can, nothing makes you improve like competition. Good luck…Judo has a steep learning curve…don’t get discouraged when you get thrown or taped…

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your goal is eventually to make the foray into MMA, you're a fool for not going to bjj. Most bjj schools will actively train for mma or incorporate it on certain days.
    That is by far the exception for judo.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 4:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    If your goal is eventually to make the foray into MMA, you're a fool for not going to bjj. Most bjj schools will actively train for mma or incorporate it on certain days.
    That is by far the exception for judo.

Not so. Not so at all.

Many of the throws in Judo are applicable and can be used in MMA events. BJJ is based on Judo's groundfighting as we all know by now.

All the BJJ clubs I have vistited train for BJJ and BJJ only. I have not seen them incorporate any striking or throws into their training. They touch on take-downs but that is it. They spend all of their time doing groundfighting really.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Not so. Not so at all.

Many of the throws in Judo are applicable and can be used in MMA events. BJJ is based on Judo's groundfighting as we all know by now.

All the BJJ clubs I have vistited train for BJJ and BJJ only. I have not seen them incorporate any striking or throws into their training. They touch on take-downs but that is it. They spend all of their time doing groundfighting really.
    Did I say the throws weren't applicable?
    No.
    Did I say that BJJ's ground work didn't originate with judo (and then diverge)?
    No.
    Nice stawman arguments though.

Question: How much no-gi time does your judo school do?
    Question: How many bjj schools have you visited in Sydney?
    Question: How many of your fellow judoka train for MMA?
    Question: How many of the guys at the bjj schools did?

If your goal is mma, bjj (or a good MMA school) is far more likely to meet your needs than is judo. Judo is great and all, but it isn't a panacea. It certainly doesn't have the contemporary ties to mma that bjj certainly does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 12:51pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo! the clincher for me is the japanese ju jitsu part of your post. This guy should be very good at the ground game too. You can pick up more grappling stuff later or heaven forbid watch some videos or roll with some BJJ guys. They normaly love to grapple with anyone.

Oh Japanes Ju Jitsu has punches and striking along with it.
    Last edited by Baator-Steel; 12/29/2005 12:54pm at .
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast