233666 Bullies, 3543 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would take BOTH if given the choice esp. if the bjj is "ground only"

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 8:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What BJJ is NOT "ground only" ?
    More human than human is our motto.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo, everyone must know judo. BJJ is from judo. I would take judo, then later advance to BJJ.

Since you box, you have stand up covered so alot of peopel will vote BJJ or **** off, but I think going from punching to throwing to higher judo (ground work) would be better. Then do actual BJJ.

Also, alot of BJJ people never do anything else after, 'cause its so fun, so your onlychance to try Judo is to try it first....and you get to join a country club too!

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 10:18pm

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also say BJJ for the groundwork. As a boxer, you're primarily a standup fighter and as far as I'm aware, BJJ is much more groundwork-geared.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Judo, everyone must know judo. BJJ is from judo. I would take judo, then later advance to BJJ.

Since you box, you have stand up covered so alot of peopel will vote BJJ or **** off, but I think going from punching to throwing to higher judo (ground work) would be better. Then do actual BJJ.

Also, alot of BJJ people never do anything else after, 'cause its so fun, so your onlychance to try Judo is to try it first....and you get to join a country club too!
    It's not like BJJ is some graduate-level physic's course to Judo's highschool science class. Why are you making this more complicated than it has to be?

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 10:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the F?.......if that is complicated, I don't know what to tell ya.

Judo is broader, BJJ is more specialized. I think everyone should do Judo at some point in their life. It carrys over to alot of other Japanese arts. A year of Judo would be a good investment in his education.

Then he could go do BJJ, refine his ground game. BJJ stands for Brazilian Jitsu Judo right?
    :XXonlyamo

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    What the F?.......if that is complicated, I don't know what to tell ya.

Judo is broader, BJJ is more specialized. I think everyone should do Judo at some point in their life. It carrys over to alot of other Japanese arts. A year of Judo would be a good investment in his education.

Then he could go do BJJ, refine his ground game. BJJ stands for Brazilian Jitsu Judo right?
    :XXonlyamo
    If you're trying to troll me it's not working.

My main problem is how you're saying Judo is "broad" and BJJ "specialized" when Judo, on average, touches less on the ground game than BJJ does on takedowns.

I know this may be a well-guarded secret known only by those who have been inside the grand BJJ temple walls, but jiu-jitsu tournaments start with both competitors standing AND pulling guard is not only infrequent but sometimes even penalized. The gi divisions in my area still have plenty of judoka and the no-gi division is usually overrun pure wrestlers (now, there are negatives to this but that's a whole other thread). You're a fool if you think jiu-jitsu fighters go into these events unprepared.
    Meanwhile, in judo tournaments I see people doing faceplants just to trap exposed arms, others standing out of triangles because the rules favour it and still more crossing their feet in backmount because the rules don't allow footlocks.

I am aware you can skew the argument both directions. Hell, my takedowns suck and I freely admit I need to work on them. But regardless of why you feel forced to prop Judo up over BJJ with strawmen, stop.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 12/22/2005 11:34pm at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take Judo, if for no other reason than when you are boxing a guy and get to the retarded boxing clinch, you'll instinctively throw the guy on his head and everyone will be all like "WTF LOL"

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not trolling you.

I said take Judo for a year, then Bjj fom then on, so it would seem......o nver mind.

DTT vs Sirc

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it's been said before, but a good BJJ school should involve takedowns and a good Judo school should involve groundwork. So, I'd check some schools and see which one covers more areas. However, you can't argue with free. ;)
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast