230686 Bullies, 3969 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just visualised the BJJ Gay bandwagon, and it looks fabulous.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 2/15/2006 11:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 9:07pm

Style: judo, tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    HOW DO GROUND GAME?

Ok I just found out that my work schedule will allow me to have 2 additional weeknights off. Naturally I want to have less money and more bruises so I was thinking about adding another MA. I've been boxing for a while now so I was thinking Judo or BJJ. I like them both, both would add to my over-all game, but basically I can't decide between throwing and submitting. eventually I'd like to enter at least one MMA tourney (omg custom title lulz!) but I'm not expecting or trying to be a pro fighter.

Judo - taught by a 7th degree BB with a 6th degree in JJJ, have to wear a gi.

BJJ - taught locally by a Relson Gracie Student that came in 3rd in his no-gi weight class at the 2002 Relson open. A buddy that trained with had nothing but good things to say and I think he said the guy was a brown belt.

The Judo is free, but I have to join the US Judo assn and join the country club where the classes are (requires 1 year membership). The BJJ from what I've heard is month to month. So if price and quality of instruction aren't a factor which on would you tell me to pick?

Oh yeah, if one has lots more opportunity for competition than the other, that would probably sway me to it.
    I voted judo, but only because I have done it and enjoy the throwing and transition to groundwork aspect.

Regarding opportunities for competition, that's going to depend more on your location rather than the sport itself. You'll have to check around to see what local tournaments are available.

But in the end, I think you base your choice on what will keep you interested/motivated to continue training. Perhaps trying out both will help you decide before committing to one or the other.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know for a fact there is a high school wrestling program in your town PirateJon.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    I know for a fact there is a high school wrestling program in your town PirateJon.
    And the guy I talked to was a little confused about why I was calling (no, i don't have a son in highschool, yes I'm a grown man asking to roll with highschool boys..) but pointed me at this..

http://www.bulldogwrestle.com/index.cfm?Page=home

Waiting to hear back from them if they have anything else besides these camps. Either way looks like I'll get a lil bit of training grappling with some quality peeps.

Good call ICY. I owe ya one.
    Last edited by PirateJon; 2/17/2006 9:01am at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 2:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love them both, but i found that judo takedowns/throws are better(obviously) but once on the floor judo guys usualy get manhandled(in my experience).

Posted On:
    2/20/2006 5:18pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    And the guy I talked to was a little confused about why I was calling (no, i don't have a son in highschool, yes I'm a grown man asking to roll with highschool boys..) .

LOL

Yeah, that might not come across the way you intended! :5hot:
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:45am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i Say Screw both judo and Bjj..Hapkido would kill both of them

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 2:51am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hapkido_master
    i Say Screw both judo and Bjj..Hapkido would kill both of them
    I see that you used your first post to clearly illustrate that you are a moron. Welcome to bullshido, I forsee great things in your future. :thebirdma

Posted On:
    2/25/2006 3:13am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    I see that you used your first post to clearly illustrate that you are a moron. Welcome to bullshido, I forsee great things in your future. :thebirdma
    LOL how am i amoron for givving good advice?? ur the moron for thinking Hapkido sux

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/28/2006 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update cause I know you care:

I talked with the head of the Citadel wrestling program. Real nice guy, very helpful. Turns out the camps are for kids, but there's a wrestling club that anyone can join. But there's a problem. with me at 6'4", 300lbs I'd have almost 6 inches and over 100lbs on the next biggest guy which is a pretty big deal. Coach said "yeah, you could come in, but you won't really get what you want out of it since there's no one to match your size. "

But my mma dreams have come true.

friday I'm having lunch with my bosses and cow-workers when I see this guy walk in to the restaurant. He's maybe 5'5", is stocky and ripped, has blond spikes in his hair, has tribal tats on each arm, *AND* has a goatee. fucker couldn't look more like a fighter if he was wearing gloves. I walked over to him and say "$5 says you do martial arts. so where do you train?".

Turns out he used to train at the BJJ place - good place, learned some ****. But the best part - dude is like "hey - you need to check out the world gym in goose creek. They're getting a muay-thai teacher next month and they're going to start offering MMA classes".

So I'm going by tonight to check it out.

I really need to write something up about local training options cause this **** is bananas.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17 LastLast