223973 Bullies, 4270 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 151617 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    Pro Wrestling? As in WWE type stuff?
    less scripted, more cooler. Ever hear of Antonio Inoki? The guy that fought Ali? He did puroresu.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 12:07am

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    less scripted, more cooler. Ever hear of Antonio Inoki? The guy that fought Ali? He did puroresu.
    Never heard of him. But to be honest I don't know much at all about any pro fighters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 2:20am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    **** !

No more bullshit, I Choke You. No more fancy talk Mr "Judo is not complete".

Come out and tell us which style of martial arts you train in. Thats if you do train at all.
    Judo isn't complete.

BJJ isn't complete.

Judo lacks strikes and the kind of groundwork BJJ contains.

BJJ lacks strikes and the depth of takedowns Judo contains.

You are a jackass.

I would say that from a submission groundwork perspective, BJJ is closer to being "complete" than judo. Simply because most judo schools dont use leg-locks, neck-cranks, No GI training, Etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 2:20am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula

Or Sakuraba....

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread sucks so hard that it could power a starship.

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitsuman
    Or Sakuraba....
    or that jerk, but who cares about him
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

game dog

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    But still...it irks me that neither of Judo or BJJ is balanced. Judo is an essential part of the complete fighter, but you can learn how to combine it with other parts of fighting at the same time. Same with BJJ, it just bugs me that ANY art that is realistic in one aspect has to lack in some other area, why, WHYYYYYYY!!!???
    Good question. Two answers:

- customer base: you will always have people who feel don't comfortable punching people in the face, or getting punched in the face (perfectly understandable). If their goal is to do a competitive, fun martial art, not to become the perfect well-rounded ass-kicker, guess where they'll go? Same for people who have no problem dishing out punches, but don't want to bother with that gay grappling ****.

- specialization: what we're talking about in this thread. If you want to learn good throws, you go to someone who has trained throws for 20 years and knows all the ins and outs. If you want groundwork, you go to a guy who has done groundwork all his life. And it's hard enough to find an instructor knowledgable in one area, let alone all. In a perfect world, you'd have gyms with a variety of instructors covering the different areas, but the world isn't perfect, and people are people.

@PirateJon: whether Judo or BJJ is better for your MMA needs may depend on the strategy you're after. For a well-rounded ground game, BJJ is better; to work on takedown defense/ sprawl'n'brawl, judo may actually be better.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 4:24pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie
    Good question. Two answers:

- customer base: you will always have people who feel don't comfortable punching people in the face, or getting punched in the face (perfectly understandable). If their goal is to do a competitive, fun martial art, not to become the perfect well-rounded ass-kicker, guess where they'll go? Same for people who have no problem dishing out punches, but don't want to bother with that gay grappling ****.

- specialization: what we're talking about in this thread. If you want to learn good throws, you go to someone who has trained throws for 20 years and knows all the ins and outs. If you want groundwork, you go to a guy who has done groundwork all his life. And it's hard enough to find an instructor knowledgable in one area, let alone all. In a perfect world, you'd have gyms with a variety of instructors covering the different areas, but the world isn't perfect, and people are people.

@PirateJon: whether Judo or BJJ is better for your MMA needs may depend on the strategy you're after. For a well-rounded ground game, BJJ is better; to work on takedown defense/ sprawl'n'brawl, judo may actually be better.

Thats the way i have been looking at it.

Id rather learn from someone who specializes in one thing at this point, rather than a generalist.

As for the question before about my wrestling background, I haven't competively wrestled in about 12 years, and the type of training I did didnt do throws of people wearing something semi resembling street clothes (its closer to real world clothes than wrestling gear as in wearing a shirt/jack and pants).

If I was looking to do MMA competitions, Id at least spend some time doing both Judo and BJJ.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** !
    Why?

No more bullshit, I Choke You. No more fancy talk Mr "Judo is not complete".
    Nope, no more bullshit, no more labelling of incomplete arts as complete.

Come out and tell us which style of martial arts you train in. Thats if you do train at all.
    That IS the style I'm trained in, no fucking kidding, same style as Sakuraba, Frank Shamrock, Bas Rutten, etc, etc.

Yeah, I know, but I think that's fucking retarded.

I disagree. If you want to learn to fight, you learn all aspects of fighting, and you can learn them at the same time, you don't need to be so specialized to get the techniques. You best learn how to combine techniques by practicing them together, not by specializing.