223620 Bullies, 3733 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Not a surpise, just stating the obvious. I was no where in the physical shape I thought I was in. While I am usually very spent by the end of a judo class. I thought we worked very hard in judo, but I was almost spent by the end of the warm ups in this bjj class. These guys work out hard.
    Ditto here. The warm ups we do at my BJJ class are more exhausting that the class itself. The warm ups are only 10 minutes long, but they are relentless. It's pretty different from anything I've done in the past - very explosive mix of plyometrics and interval training. For someone who does interval training or plyometrics on a regular basis (some sprinters for example), this will be cake, but for most of us who don't (even if we work out a lot one way or another), these warm ups are a challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I'm not sure if thats the norm, but it definatly showed me how crappy my physical shape is. I expected to get rocked technically, but I didn't expect to have a hard time just lasting the class without passing out from exhaustion.
    It seems to be the norm. My guess is that the warmups are intended not only for warming up, but also to get us accostumed to the demands of grappling. We are not biologically designed to move on the ground, much less fight with somebody's weight on top of us ... this being my n00b guess.

Also, don't assume you are on a crappy physical shape. :seppuku: A gymnast will probably suck at running 100m in the track, and a marathon runner will probably suck at powerlifting. One cannot be in superb physical shape for all activities - well, some can, most most would not. It's all relative. As you get accostumed to the plyometric and interval training kill-****-blend of the BJJ warmups, if that becomes your main workout, over time, you may see a degratadion in other strenghts you previous had. :5badair:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    I mean you need to put in six or more hours a week to be considered a serious student. This isn't some artificial distinction either; last fall I was coming in every day of the week and noticed a huge improvement. I was also demolishing people who came in less frequently.
    Hmmm, you mean 6 or more hours in the same discipline? How about those that do, say, 2 hours BJJ, 2 hours Judo... or like some guys I've seen down here - 2 hours Vale-Tudo stuff, 2 hours kickboxing and some open mat time on weekends?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Hmmm, a bit off-topic, but, how do you find Aikido? ...So my question would be what has Aikido added to your game? ...
    For what it's worth, I started judo and aikido about the same time, 2 nights judo and 3 aikido per week for a couple-three years.

A few years later, after I'd started coaching, I'd gotten into an online discussion about the similarities between judo and aikido; so, in class, we worked on the judo throws that can be done with an "aiki" feel, or how to morph a judo throw into an aikido projection.

Shortly after, I went to a tournament, and used the same technique, yoko-otoshi - one I'd not used before in competition, and not scored with since - twice for ippon. The application had that "aiki" feel.

To be honest, the first score was against a somewhat unathletic brown belt, the other was against a young brown belt who gave me a huge opening. Nonetheless, it's a good memory.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Hmmm, you mean 6 or more hours in the same discipline? How about those that do, say, 2 hours BJJ, 2 hours Judo... or like some guys I've seen down here - 2 hours Vale-Tudo stuff, 2 hours kickboxing and some open mat time on weekends?
    I do consecutive classes at the same school. We have a huge monster of a man who trains at one of the downtown schools but he makes his living off capoeira so he's only in once or twice a week. He won't be getting is blue belt at the same pace as someone who comes in three or four times a week, even though he can sometimes beat those people with his superior athleticism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 12:57pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dreadnought I agree that the guy who trains more in an art will (usually) progress faster than a guy who trains less. But I don't think there is a prescribed forumula for improvement.

I do 4 hours judo a week (2 classes) and 2.5-4 hours of kickboxing a week (2 classes plus an open mat session some weekends).

Of course I'm not going to progress as fast as someone training 6-8 hours in just one of those arts and I don't expect to progress as fast as that guy. I will progress at a slower rate in grappling and standup but I'll be a more rounded fighter in the end.

Plus since I enjoy doing both I'm not interested in only doing one thing at the exclusion of another. But that's just my personal choice.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 3:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me wrong; I stop kickboxing about a month before BJJ tournaments. But I'm surprised most people don't do their classes back-to-back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 5:36pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Don't get me wrong; I stop kickboxing about a month before BJJ tournaments. But I'm surprised most people don't do their classes back-to-back.
    You mean do a kickboxing class and then a judo class on the same night? And do that 3-4 nights a week?

I would love to do that if:

a) My school's schedule was like that
    b) I had the physical conditioning for 3.5-4 hours of training in one night for 3-4 nights a week.

Sadly I'm a ***** and couldn't handle that much exercise all at once. At least not in my current physical condition.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 5:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    You mean do a kickboxing class and then a judo class on the same night? And do that 3-4 nights a week?
    Even if you had the stamina, that sweet scheduling is not available in all gyms. At least in South Florida, I think only ATT and FAA offer such back-to-back classes. Another school/gym named Punch Fitness has a Muay Thai class before BJJ... but with an 1.5 hour gap in between. What a retard think to do... :tard:

In general, most schools I see down here have a Muay Thai and Vale-Tudo/MMA combo, with one Monday-Wednesday and the other on a Tuesday-Thursday schedule. Back-to-back classes seem to be a rarity here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 9:09am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i voted judo because I was faced with exactly the same decision earlier this month and picked judo

im not entering any MMA competitions any time soon and I am concerned with self defense. Having wrestled in the past Im not a total noob to the ground, so judo seems to fit in better with my current training goals.

bjj is too pricy right now anyways, im paying 80 bucks total for 3 months of judo!

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 9:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how you're concerned about self-defence and then go on to neglect the grappling art with the significant self-defence component.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast