225026 Bullies, 3816 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What ever shall I do?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judo!

38 29.01%
  • BJJ!

62 47.33%
  • **** Off!

31 23.66%
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Or Bjj?

HOW DO GROUND GAME?

Ok I just found out that my work schedule will allow me to have 2 additional weeknights off. Naturally I want to have less money and more bruises so I was thinking about adding another MA. I've been boxing for a while now so I was thinking Judo or BJJ. I like them both, both would add to my over-all game, but basically I can't decide between throwing and submitting. eventually I'd like to enter at least one MMA tourney (omg custom title lulz!) but I'm not expecting or trying to be a pro fighter.

Judo - taught by a 7th degree BB with a 6th degree in JJJ, have to wear a gi.

BJJ - taught locally by a Relson Gracie Student that came in 3rd in his no-gi weight class at the 2002 Relson open. A buddy that trained with had nothing but good things to say and I think he said the guy was a brown belt.

The Judo is free, but I have to join the US Judo assn and join the country club where the classes are (requires 1 year membership). The BJJ from what I've heard is month to month. So if price and quality of instruction aren't a factor which on would you tell me to pick?

Oh yeah, if one has lots more opportunity for competition than the other, that would probably sway me to it.
    Last edited by PirateJon; 12/22/2005 1:05pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say go for BJJ. If you plan on doing a few MMA fights, BJJ is more geared towards it. With Judo you'd have to learn how to adapt your throws into no-gi, and in an MMA fight you wouldn't want to risk giving up your back. BJJ has more useful ne waza, if that Judo club is competition oriented all you'd probably learn is to turtle 'til the refs stand you up.

Besides, with BJJ there are much less injuries. All my injuries come from doing randori, not ne waza.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:07pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i use bjj, but i also think judo can be effective as well. I hear that judo is always a good grappling art to start with, and most of the locks and subs that are in jiujitsu are also in judo.

it really depends on what you want to do.

if there wasnt bjj by where i live, then i'd be doing judo right now.
    Last edited by Method2Madness; 12/22/2005 2:09pm at .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:13pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've seen of the bjj guys who come into our judo class its basically the same. The main question comes down to what you want out of it. If you dont plan on using many standing throws then I would say go bjj, otherwise both are great and will work for MMA style comps imho. Either way you are going to learn how to choke, armbar, and grapple. Its just a matter of focus. A lot of judo schools focus only on the standup. I'm lucky to have a teacher who loves the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:26pm

Style: japanese ju jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll probably get ripped to pieces for daring to comment cos its not my field of expertise, but I'd say BJJ. As well as the aforementioned Gi and turtling disadvantages of judo, you should be considering that you've been boxing for a while so for the forseeable future your standing striking is likely to be your primary strategy. Therefore learning to throw (judo's key strength) is not very important to you since you don't want to take it to the ground anyway! What you want is to know how to stop people taking you down and how to handle yourself on the ground and from my (limited) experience bjj fits the bill far better.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd advise Judo but I also train in place that devotes about half of class to newaza. BJJ is good also but if the Judo is competitive, the ground game is hard and aggressive.
    What it really comes down to is which you like better and what your goals are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:45pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As everyone said before me, Judo is more focused on throws but has almost everything BJJ has on the ground, BJJ is more focused on ground fighting but has almost every throw Judo has.

I would say the quality of the training will be the best factor, go try them both, the one that trains harder is usually preparing you to be a better fighter.

just my 2 cents

PS: any one you choose you can't go wrong, to my knowledge there are no MCdojo's of Judo or BJJ and beeing both twin martial arts, its your call

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    I'd advise Judo but I also train in place that devotes about half of class to newaza. BJJ is good also but if the Judo is competitive, the ground game is hard and aggressive.
    What it really comes down to is which you like better and what your goals are.
    Ok I'll find out how hard the Judo place goes on the ground and see if it's eliminated.

Other than that I have no idea which I'd like better. I love the idea of throwing people, and that might be more useful IN TEH STR33T, but I also like subs and takedowns plus if I do BJJ get to be an obnixious nut rider. :new_all_c

It's pretty funny how "**** off" is leading Judo though... :seppuku:
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is just more popular now. That doesn't mean that it is always better or that it is more applicable. In the states, you are much more likely to find a good BJJ place rather than Judo.

But a 7th dan in Judo is not easy to get and there should be a ton of difference in knowledge between the brown belt and the Judo 7th dan.

Also, older teachers are usually not as competitive and the competition aspect will really have to come from a base of solid senior students. Or maybe the 7dan is a hard old geezer, only you will know.

I don't quite agree that both have the same throws or submissions. They have developed in different ways and have specialities. Judo has some very intricate throws that take years of practice to perfect, just like some tactics on the ground in BJJ are. Depends on what you want.
    Last edited by MONGO; 12/22/2005 3:15pm at .

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 3:23pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the Judo club does a fair amount of ground work, I'd go there. With a 7th dan, the guy should really know his stuff.
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast