Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 3:55am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancer
    If I gather my opponent has the presence of mind to apply that ankle lock without bringing his arm down- can also cross my legs to bait his arm down and get it under one of my hooks, which only drives my figurative penis deeper into his rectum- I don't try it; it's one of those things you can do, and by the time you've got rear mount with your hooks in you may have figured out whether or not it's worth the risk.
    Well chin down with one arm defending your neck does offer some protection and your hand is only needed briefly.

I was told once by a brown belt that one simple way to escape rear mount was to protect your neck with one hand while removing one of your opponents hooks with the other. Similar principle here.

But honestly this isnt something that comes up much, if at all in practice. Most people learn right away not to cross the feet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 8:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knecht Ruprecht
    That version of hadaka jime is actually quite effective at getting a tap, possibly more so than struggling to get your hand all the way through for the "proper" version. It won't choke people out nearly as fast, but a forearm across the trachea is a nasty thing indeed.
    Interestingly, I find that this variation of the RNC is also effective at setting up the more usual BJJ ideal, as the palm to palm grip gives you a fairly large amount of leverage in getting the choking arm positioned. If I don't get one, I'll get the other.

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancer
    Hell I have crossed my legs on people specifically to see if they'd bring a hand away from their neck to try and setup ankle lock, once the hand was away and I had my arm just a little more under their chin it was a simple matter of uncrossing my legs no matter how they grabbed them with one hand.
    More flexible people, myself included, can set up the ankle lock hands-free. This kind of baiting your partner is potentially very dangerous. Better to either work your submission setups from back mount, or just leave it and transition to mount.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell I though you guys have killed Judo vs BJJ threads long time ago, but it seems to be alive and kicking.
    Lets agree to disagree, Judo and BJJ have diferent goals, different ways to do the same ****, they have to worry about different things and obviously don't get respect from each other.

let's move on with our lives
    Last edited by El Neko; 12/23/2005 9:38am at .

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    Lets agree to disagree, Judo and BJJ have diferent goals, different ways to do the same ****, they have to worry about different things and obviously don't get respect from each other.

let's move on with our lives
    Concessions like these should not be allowed when one solution is clearly better than the other.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:36am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I award this debate to Dreadnought.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    "Look, either you're too dumb to get that Aesopian was pointing out a flaw in Judo's grappling game"

I never saw that be applied, so I dont think its a major Judo technique rather then a personal thing from the one performing it.
    Crossing ankles is not a major judo technique - in fact, more mainstream judo references (and most judoka) teach the counter to crossed ankles. Kawaishi calls it hiza-tori-garami; Mifune calls in ashi-kudaki.

To even start this thread shows to me some ignorance of judo. KOSEN judo is really just a subset of mainstream judo, primarily a competition style adopted by a few high-schools (the KOSEN schools - the name is an acronym).

The strategy of dropping to the ground was developed as a way for inexperienced (i.e. freshmen) judoka to force a draw against more experienced competitors. For that reason, while there's some useful ideas in KOSEN, it's not what I consider the epitome of judo grappling.

It's high school judo.

To better understand judo's grappling game, try "The Canon of Judo", Kawaishi's "My Method of Judo" or Feldenkrais' "Higher Judo, Ground Work". I also hear Oda's book is pretty good, and Vital Judo, but I don't have those, so I can't say. And don't forget Kudo.

As for the original image, whether tori has crossed his ankles or not is a non-issue - it should be obvious that uke is in no position to attempt an ankle lock. It may that crossed-ankles is a better counter to uke's attempted escape, but I can't say just now without a partner to test that idea, so I won't defend that position.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all those that think having a good RNC will save your ankles. I've seen good sub wrestlers crank the ankle lock with their legs while defending the RNC. Its a little gimmicky but not less gimmicky than crossing your ankles in the first place. In other words, DON'T CROSS YOUR ANKLES.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone has a picture of a ankle lock done on someone that crossed his ankles when doing a RNC (or in a similar situation)???? I'm trying to visualize that ****. Or, if you can point me to a reference (website,book,etc), that would be great, too.

Thanks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    More flexible people, myself included, can set up the ankle lock hands-free. This kind of baiting your partner is potentially very dangerous. Better to either work your submission setups from back mount, or just leave it and transition to mount.
    Are you talking about hooking the crossed ankles with the crook of your knee? I managed to do that once, but it was against another grappling noob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 5:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about figure-4ing/triangling my legs over my opponent's crossed ankles
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast