Posted On:
    12/21/2005 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

kote gaeshi

Guys,

I found this video clip on eMule a while back ago illustrating kote gaeshi.

http://espinalconsulting.com/elnyka/...ote_gaeshi.avi

What exactly is happening in this clip? Is the uke throwing himself cooperatively? If not, what is in this technique that makes the uke airborne?

btw... this clip is originally from http://www.suginoharyu.com/
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 7:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    What exactly is happening in this clip? Is the uke throwing himself cooperatively? If not, what is in this technique that makes the uke airborne?
    Kotegaeshi implies twisting the wrist (there are various subtetlies) and in some cases pulling your uke and in others using his inertia to generate unbalance.

Uke goes airborne because is one of the possible ways of receiving the technique withouth damaging the wrist: Uke compensates the twisting and pulling jumping over his hand. If he remained static, his wrist could be injured if he hasn't enough strength to resist two hands+waist turn+step vs. his wrist.

And because is a staged demo clip so flying ukemi = cool. :)
    Last edited by DCS; 12/21/2005 9:20pm at . Reason: typo

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 11:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's try to analyze kotegaeshi:

You can't view kotegaeshi in an isolated way. It needs to be put in context: like the majority of tecniques it requires to be set up on purpose or applied when the opportunity arises.

The first mode.- The proactive way: setting the kotegaeshi.

Video example one: The aikido way

http://www.iwama-aikido.com/movies/shokote.mov

First step:
    Here you can see how tori delivers a right hand strike to uke's face, without previous advice (aiki-suckerpunching). If uke doesn't rise his hand to get cover kotegaeshi is not available but at least tori has impacted first so can continue taking the initiative and search for another technique.

Second step:
    How uke has raised his hand to avoid the strike tori grabs uke's hand and turn step out of the most probable line of counter (here's another clip where the stepping out the counter attack is better explained)its while pulling uke to generate unbalance.

Third step: As uke tries to regain balance (for the majority of people the most natural reaction is regaining balance instead of attacking unbalanced) tori turns again and applies kotegaeshi.

Video example two: The Basically Just Judo way
    You have a file named "Martial Arts - Iivii - Bjj - Roy Harris - Bjj - Brasilian Jiu Jitsu - Armlocks - Volume 1 - Cd2 -_chunk_1.mpg" (1836 KB) waiting for download.

You can click on the following link to retrieve your file. The link will expire in 7 days
    and will be available for a limited number of downloads.

Martial Arts - Iivii - Bjj - Roy Harris - Bjj - Brasilian Jiu Jitsu - Armlocks - Volume 1 - Cd2 -_chunk_1.mpg (1836 KB)
    Now the setting is different, but is also applied in a unexpected way (and very fun to watch). While tori and uke are looking for a grab, in the preliminary stage of the encounter, tori suddenly changes the pace and applies the kotegaeshi.

Video example three: The Judo way

From Kodokan Goshin Jutsu
    Migi eri dori:
    http://judoinfo.com/images/video/kat...-eri-dori.mpeg

As attacker grabs across to the right lapel and pulls defender forward by stepping back with his left foot, defender steps forward with the right foot and delivers a right uppercut to the chin of the attacker. He then grabs the wrist with the left hand from the top, steps back with the left foot, adds the right hand, and turns forcing the attacker to be thrown with the wrist lock.

In this case, punching uke's face is what makes the tecnique work. Stunned uke = low resistance uke. If uke is seeing stars probably forgets to put enough strength in his wrist to nullify the kotegaeshi.

Second mode.- The reactive way: Kotegaeshi "on the fly"

This is not a "how to cath punch in mid air". It doesn't work. Period.

However kotegaeshi can be applied to grab attempts/weapon retention (with a lot of disclaimers here).

Video example four:
    http://www.iwama-aikido.com/movies/tsukikote.mov

First step:
    Imagine in this case tori is a LEO and uke tries to grab tori's holstered weapon. If tori's reaction time is "the awesome" he can turns to avoid the grab attempt while stepping out to avoid a secondary attack and grabbing uke's hand at the same time.

Second step:
    Read third step from video example one.

Third step (not shown in the clip):
    Handcuffin' and what it follows...

Video example five:
    http://www.martial.com.au/movies/technique/Kotegaes.MPG

Same as previous but with punching in the face because uke hasn't been unbalanced enough.

Flames and comments welcome.

BTW, can someone host Roy Harris clip, plz?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 11:24am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS, great post. Imaginary +rep.

One of my favourite techniques and very easy to apply, but alas, too easy to break someone's wrist I think, at least when executing the throw and the "someone" doesn't know how to ukemi :)

My 2p.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 12:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice explanation!!! Thanks!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 12:41pm

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleMeister
    DCS, great post. Imaginary +rep.

One of my favourite techniques and very easy to apply, but alas, too easy to break someone's wrist I think, at least when executing the throw and the "someone" doesn't know how to ukemi :)

My 2p.
    Hah, so very true. We have a similar technique called Omote Gyaku. The only thing that's different from the Aikido and Judo way is that we do it really fast without a lot of setup while dropped all the weight into the last part of the drop.

I did this to my g/f one time when she wasn't expecting it and even though she didn't know ukemi, she had to flop to the ground to avoid wrist breakage. Good times.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey BudoBuyu, I wanted to ask you a question (a bit off-topic from this thread)? Regarding your style, what BBT stands for????

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:16pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may be the angle of the camera, but in the 5th clip it looks like he let some slack in uke's arm while rolling him to his stomach. It didn't look to me like he was controling the hand or elbow but the uke just rolled over. That would be dangerous against a struggling attacker. I couldn't watch the 2nd clip.

I know we do the 3rd clip in my aikido class as well.

My favorite part of kotegaeshi is the millions of ways it can be performed. You can grab that hand many different ways to turn it. Its a very dyanamic techinque. Depending on how you grab and how you turn you can cause soft falls or hardfalls. You really have control of your attacker. Sure he could take a shot, but he will have one less hand when its over. It's vicious and controlled all at the same time.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 1:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    It may be the angle of the camera, but in the 5th clip it looks like he let some slack in uke's arm while rolling him to his stomach. It didn't look to me like he was controling the hand or elbow but the uke just rolled over. That would be dangerous against a struggling attacker. I couldn't watch the 2nd clip.
    Well, in the 5th clip tori and uke are going a bit "let's take it easy" for my taste too :), however the purpose of including the clip was showing the "punch to the face" variation.

About the 2nd clip. It works for me (but i had to try twice). Try to right click and save. In any case, if interested, i can upload it with yousendit.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 6:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoBuyu
    Hah, so very true. We have a similar technique called Omote Gyaku. The only thing that's different from the Aikido and Judo way is that we do it really fast without a lot of setup while dropped all the weight into the last part of the drop.

I did this to my g/f one time when she wasn't expecting it and even though she didn't know ukemi, she had to flop to the ground to avoid wrist breakage. Good times.

Omote Gyaku != Kote Geashi.

Kote Gaeshi is a Jujutsu technique with you bring the wrist complety under itself. The uke must Roll over themselves to prevent the wrist from breaking.

Omote (Kote) Gyaku is a Ninpo version where the wrist is locked out (same twist to the oustide). Then the take the wrist and drop it straight to the ground. No big flip. Just a Drop.

On the surface it very similar, but different.

As for people who keep asking

BBT = Bujinkan (Ryu) Budo Taijutsu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast