Posted On:
    6/05/2007 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seio Nage as an arm break.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Well talking about JJJ vs. Judo is comes down to adaption. For example in Japanese Jujutsu Seio Nage is traditionally done with elbow turned down to break the elbow during the throw. For safety in training, it is done the common Judo way with the elbow up. But it still Seio Nage. The throw is there, it is taught. Because it looks like Judo doesn't mean its not JJJ.
    I read this a while ago, and it never sat right with me. After learning Seio nage in a Judo dojo step by step, and recently seeing it taught. That statement makes even less sense to me. How are you going to break someone's arm if you're supposed to be a lot lower than the other person (the throwee/uke)? Also your shouldER is going to be under their armpit not their elbow, to properly load them up.

So is there any real evidence to suggest that the arm break was the original intention of Seio Nage?

That is an edited quote of Plasma's, for the whole post and thread check here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...io#post1328501

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I read this a while ago, and it never sat right with me. After learning Seio nage in a Judo dojo step by step, and recently seeing it taught. That statement makes even less sense to me. How are you going to break someone's arm if you're supposed to be a lot lower than the other person (the throwee/uke)? Also your shouldER is going to be under their armpit not their elbow, to properly load them up.

So is there any real evidence to suggest that the arm break was the original intention of Seio Nage?

That is an edited quote of Plasma's, for the whole post and thread check here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...io#post1328501
    Yes. Older version of seio nage has the arm held in gyakute in which the elbow is done and braced against the shoulder. In Junte, how its held in Judo, the elbow will be facing up or to the side.

I've thrown guys in gyakute and there was more risk to injuring them, and some said their elbow really hurt, but I've never actually broken anyones arm with it. It also made it harder for them to do ukemi.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty hard to break somebody's arm like that, IMO, you might click it on the way, but if they aren't retarded, they're going to roll it over, not let it break.

Weak

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do JJ so when we go in for the throw it is with the intent of breaking or at least doing some damage to your opponent's elbow (plus throwing them on their head). Uke's arm is rigid when you're loading them up and at this point we're taught to control, straighten and snap their arm down on our shoulder as we throw.

In a training setting we support their upper arm/shoulder so as to not cause injury.

Of course since I've never seen anyone getting their arm broken I don't know if it would really work but it hurts and I think there's a good reason why people hate being thrown in this way at our dojo.
    Last edited by Lily; 6/06/2007 2:37am at . Reason: distracted

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first animated gif in the link is how I was taught to do Ippon Seio Nage.
    http://judoinfo.com/images/animation.../ipponseoi.htm

See how he is dropping down to load the guy on his hips (also pulling with the sleeve). I don't see how you would get enough leverage to break the guys arm, no matter which way the guys arm is positioned (elbow up or elbow down).

Ok, so lets say you don't drop down, so now you have enough leverage to break the arm. How do you do the throw without muscling it?

Weak

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 9:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That gif is not quite how we do it (unless we're babying the tori). We hold their arm differently as already explained by Asia, plus we don't rely on the gi sleeve being there.

No one said you need to keep upright to have leverage to break their arm. As you're going in for the throw, basic concepts like breaking your uke's balance, body alignment, grip, the initial loading on the hips and the quick back thrusting footwork (not shown well in that link) means you don't need to use muscle. But if you got it, use it (p.s. - I'm throwing guys 50-100lb heavier than me with this, albeit muscling it a little more at the top end of the scale.)
    Last edited by Lily; 6/06/2007 2:39am at . Reason: same mistake twice, bad girl

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 1:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do JJ so when we go in for the throw it is with the intent of breaking or at least doing some damage to your opponent's elbow (plus throwing them on their head). Tori's arm is rigid when you're loading them up
    ...unless they aren't retarded, in which case their arm will not be rigid.

Weak

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 2:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't use the double negative Cracky.

Generally there are no retards where I train so they're not going to let their arm be held that way as they're thrown.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 2:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly, making this technique, and thread, redundant.

Weak

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 2:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell that to the OP, he's somehow convinced he has discovered something new. :byewhore:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast