Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 1:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the original technique (taking the back from the top), this is a favorite of mine.

But I've never been a fan of getting to both feet or lifting them that high. With the gi, I'll get a grip on both lapels so they are tight into their armpits, and instead of getting to my feet and lifting them, I just sit into them with one leg bent, and the other outstretched, like I'm doing a runner's stretch. Like so:

The outstretched leg goes in as the first hook, then I rock them to the other side and put the second hook in. By sitting back and folding the leg, you drag them up into you, and you don't have to do any heavy lifting.

No-gi, I tend to get a one-on-one (usually while going for a kimura) and use this to pull them back into rear mount. I don't feel comfortable holding the armpits and lifting without the gi, but maybe I'll give it another shot.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 2:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I could find it again, but I remember reading an interview with Marcelo Garcia where they asked him how he manages to take the back so much, and he simply said something along the lines of "the back is really big, so it's not that hard to get."

Think about it. You can take the back from pretty much any guard (closed, butterfly, spider, half, De la Riva, x-guard, etc.). You can take it from mount, side control and north-south. You can take it off the sprawl and side ride. You can take it from standing. You can take it while passing guard. You can take it from the top of half guard. You can take it while under side control. You can take the back while turtled (yeah, you're turtled). When you start looking at the back as a big target, you'll see that it is available from almost everywhere.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 8:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, I must have some sort of implant in my head that contains all grappling knowledge, yet I cannot access it... But it leaks out sometimes and.... Ahh, nevermind.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:07am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amazing technique, I never even thought of this :(

I am going to have to try it next time I get side-mount, I'm going to switch to north-south and try and take the guys back :P
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12