Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 3:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Smack talkers ever walked into training?

I was thinking about the stuff traditionalists like to say about groundfighting and modern MMA such as the "just eye rake, bite, I'm too deadly to spar" and I thought that if any of these guys brings up this stuff with me, (and I can't be bothered getting into a debate) I'll just tell them when and where I train and ask them to try out a class if they think they are so crash-hot. Hopefully this would result in them spending an hour crushed, choked, locked, tapping-out, drenched with sweat and gasping for air.

Has anyone ever had a guy come to training with the goal of trying to show you how **** your art is? This could take the form of either unsolicited advice, or trying to throw in some "foul" techniques to show that "he could have got you".

Personally, I don't think it would be very common. I suspect that these guys that think thier Steven Segal neck breaks will save them from an experianced striker, grappler and groundfighter would run a mile from actually putting themselves in a situation where they have to spar and work for that technique on a resisting opponent. It's like the throwdowns, you hear all the smack talk about how deadly thier Eight Laughing Drunken Buddhas style is but as soon as an invitation to a throwdown comes up, you can hear the crickets.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 3:09am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wait till they might not show up?

Just tackle them then and there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 3:17am

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plenty of times. Hapkido, BJJ, Karate, Aikido, MT (he ended up staying to train, and still trains), Taekwondo, you name it.

The BJJ/boxing guy trained for awhile and ran out of funds. He was a police officer and couldn't really get rides up. He says he wants to come back, but hasn't yet.

Hapkido guy didn't come back. He came in with a snotty attitude and was determined to show us how "bad ass" he was. We put him with Mr.Muay Thai and let him beat him out.

Karate dude stayed and still trains. Aikido didn't come back and two of the TKD guys stayed to train. The other guy didn't like the contact, so he left.

The only other guy that's come in with a "challenge" was a guy's cousin who used to train with us. He was some armature boxer and pretty big. We let him train for free and he was constantly trying to pull out of the technique. Our instructor told the guy he was training with to hit him if he pulled out next time. He pulled out and got hit in the throat. Good times.

Oh! And we had a Judo guy quit Judo and Shaolin Kung-Fu to train with us. Great guy too. Fireman.

Edit: I reread the thread. The only guy who really came in to "show us up" was Hapkido and Muay Thai. The MT guy had trained with some artsy fartsy Bujinkan guy before he came to us, so he thought we were like that too. So naturally he was trying to kill my instructor for about 3 months. Guy still trains and is one of my best friends today.
    Last edited by BudoBuyu; 12/21/2005 3:22am at .

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 3:38am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. He got a leg kick, a harai goshi, and then a mounted armbar.

Errr wait. I don't take challenge matches. Especially not from Shaolin Do practicioners.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:04am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One day a karateka came in wearing a black belt and basically said he was going to teach us a lesson in grappling. My instructor paired him with a blue. After about 30 minutes of getting thrashed, he threw down his black belt and said, "I'm done with this."

"Done with Bjj?", the blue asked.

"No, I'm done with this." and he picked up the black belt and put it in his bag. "You guys have a white belt I can borrow?" he asked. This impressed the hell out of all of us. He still trains at our dojo today, a year later.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hanukkah Hammer
    Why wait till they might not show up?

Just tackle them then and there.
    it's usually best to not even wait til they talk trash. the best strategy is to just double leg every third person you see on the street.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:32am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    One day a karateka came in wearing a black belt and basically said he was going to teach us a lesson in grappling. My instructor paired him with a blue. After about 30 minutes of getting thrashed, he threw down his black belt and said, "I'm done with this."

"No, I'm done with this." and he picked up the black belt and put it in his bag. "You guys have a white belt I can borrow?" he asked. This impressed the hell out of all of us. He still trains at our dojo today, a year later.
    That's awesome. I think that one of the greatest indicators of character is how someone deals with cognitive dissonance. It's that, or he's a nutter.

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 12:28pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, jnp, that was a good story. Glad to see folks who aren't delusional about their abilities and limitations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 12:49pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Whenever I show up at a new school I just wear a white belt (a rather old yellowed white belt) and if someone asks usually say that i have been training for a couple of years rather than what my rank actually is. I don't really go in with the intent to show them that my technique is better and if asked, I don't say my way is right, just an alternative view. If I am checking a place out it is usually because I am looking for a new viewpoint, or for a style that emphasizes in a different type of training. I am there to learn what they offer, I am not there to teach their class for them.

Anyone who goes in with something to prove probably has some sort of ego issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 12:57pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

man thats a great story man.