Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:05am

Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I spotted some flaws in the groundwork escapes.

They need to start live sparring their techniques to find out what works without a compliant partner.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was utter CRAP!!!

And I don't know if it me but it was ironic that some of the so called "anti-grapplilng" was.......GRAPPLING *gasp*. So if you are using Grappling to counter Grappling why don't youo just take up Grappling since they already do it and not waste time with this CRAPPLING?

LOGIC the _ing _unner's natural enemy!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Techniques are worthless against real fighters.

However, I can see them working against the average guy on the street. (aka some of my non-ma friends)
    Most pple I know (the smart ones) don't announce who they are or what they do before getting into a fight. Therefore you don't know who you will be facing. So with that in mind would you rather a) deal with effective techniques that worked against other skilled fighters or b) deal with half ass techniques and HOPE you will only be in a fight with an unskilled person?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll take Techniques I Don't Fear for $500, Alex.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    someone askesd this qstn on the ebmas forum regarding anti grappling:

wing tsun originally is a stand up fighting art so why not use bjj/grappling tecniqhes for ground fighting?why not use a sprawl etc?
    what is the difference between wing tsun anti-grappling/groundfighting compared to techniques from the other grappling arts?
    How was the anti-grappling developed i.e adapting wing tsun techniques on the ground or testing it against grapplers etc?

-------------------------------------------------------------

The anti-grappling programs are an excellent starting point for thinking about ground-fighting, they are not, IMO, some idealized text to always be adhered to. They do emphasize a very important idea which is the reason not to simply do BJJ or sambo on the ground- PLAY YOUR GAME, NOT THE OTHER GUY'S!!!!

The anti-grappling is all about playing your game as a WT guy- striking and escaping, escaping and striking, trying to make your escapes and counters offensive in nature while controlling position (linking attack and defense, as it were).

If someone tries to take you down 'cos you're a better striker and they're a grappler, that's probably not the guy you want to grapple with- he just proved that he's possibly a better grappler than you by taking you down. Ergo, mess up his plans, escape, and beat on him. This is the same basic strategy that high level strikers have been very succesful with in MMA (Louiseau, Vovchenchyn, Cro-Cop, Liddell, and the original proof, Mo Smith).

In order to learn to do this, you need to train with grapplers and will probably wind up learning a bunch of their tricks in the process- that's called getting experience, something everyone with skills has gone out and gotten- it won't come just by staying at home.

At the end of the day, I don't think about something as WT or BJJ or greco- it's 'do I improve my position and make his worse', 'does my defense threaten him', 'does my attack leave me defended', 'do I keep pressure on him'.

Andrew

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 11:03am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DANINJA
    someone askesd this qstn on the ebmas forum regarding anti grappling:

The anti-grappling programs are an excellent starting point for thinking about ground-fighting, they are not, IMO, some idealized text to always be adhered to. They do emphasize a very important idea which is the reason not to simply do BJJ or sambo on the ground- PLAY YOUR GAME, NOT THE OTHER GUY'S!!!!

I fucking love it when "martial artists" use that quote like they've invented the wheel or something. "Dont play his game!" well no fucking ****, but did it ever occur to you the other guy is thinking the same thing? You try yours, he tries his, and all of a sudden *gasp* its an actual fight.

The anti-grappling is all about playing your game as a WT guy- striking and escaping, escaping and striking, trying to make your escapes and counters offensive in nature while controlling position (linking attack and defense, as it were).
    You're picking the wrong time to attack- unfortunately, there ARE positions that exist in a fight where your best option is to defend. To keep attempting to attack in these positions is futile and a waste of time. For example, attempting to strike your way out of a double underhooks clinch is going to end up with you getting thrown to the ground with alot of force. Someone who attemps to distance their hips, overhook the arms, or swim inside for an underhook of his own will have a much better chance of surviving and eventually breaking the clinch in order to keep the fight on the feet. Striking in proximity that close is not very usefull.

If someone tries to take you down 'cos you're a better striker and they're a grappler, that's probably not the guy you want to grapple with- he just proved that he's possibly a better grappler than you by taking you down. Ergo, mess up his plans, escape, and beat on him. This is the same basic strategy that high level strikers have been very succesful with in MMA (Louiseau, Vovchenchyn, Cro-Cop, Liddell, and the original proof, Mo Smith).
    "Just escape" thats it? Thats the answer the martial arts world has been looking for. Hey, how do I beat Mirko Cro Cop "just knock him out" right? The problem these sad individuals have is that they dont realize that there arent any more one dimensional fighters anymore in MMA. The strikers that he mentioned have had extensive grappling training and USE that grappling training to regain their feet. When I see Igor,Liddell, or Cro Cop get back to their feet, I see them using grappling to defeat grappling- I do not see them doing any "anti-grappling" bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 4:02pm

Style: boxing/submission

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that crap does not work -- that's been proved: I know some WT instructors with 3rd/4th tech grade who now study BJJ, since they have been easily submitted by BJJ blue belts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:36pm

Style: Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do Wing Tsun unfortunatly. Its w waste of time. I went to a mauy thai club and saw the light. MMA is the way forward im afraid. And that video was great comedy..seriously me and my mates were laughing so much watching that. Thank you so much to whoever posted that, i needed cheering up. Now im off to watch some real fighting...UFC.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12