Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 8:16pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    *disclaimer, noobie white belt*

I've only tapped 2 guys so far, ever (a little under 4 months of training). Both came in the single no-gi class I've attended. One was an ankle lock while back mounted (kind of lucky, that guy owned me otherwise), and the other was a perfect rubber guard omoplata. I got the guy in my guard, pulled his head down, and all I could think of was trying out the rubber guard for the first time. I grabbed my leg, got the overhook, pushed his head away, and omoplata, boom. This is why I seriously love the rubber guard. In fact I got the same thing on my instructor last night, but being a brown belt he could get out of the omoplata easily enough.

I think it's a great position, it leads to so many things, so much more control and setups, it is about 1 step away from an omoplata or a triangle. In MMA, it inhibits GnP.

+rep for Eddie Bravo.

No. He let you get the omoplata set up.
    Stop being so cocky

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 5:43pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn you FighterJones... always spoiling my fun.

Now I'm pretty sure he saw it coming and let me get it and all that, but I still did apply it. That's all I'm saying. I went through the steps (break posture, grab leg, overhook, etc.) and I got some practice with it. If I say that I "got my instructor in side control", it doesn't mean he didn't let me there or whatever. It just means I got it.
    Last edited by Kengou; 12/21/2005 8:40pm at .

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 9:09pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't really spent much time on this one yet, still having too much fun with my spider/butterfly guard. Have the flexibility, jsut haven't really worked out all the necesary control innvolved, everytime I find myself in a sor tof "rubber guard" position I find myself putting my hands in the wrong damn places and losing control at some point or another and having to scramble around to reestablish guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad "London" isn't in Bravo's book. That makes me a sad panda. He has said recently that his game has changed such that he now prefers to go to London more than New York, so I wish he'd have put more detail on it. The only reference for it that I have is the highlight vid of his school, from his website (he shows one armbar setup). I'm gunna try the armbar next chance I get, it looked very hard to escape.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 2:52pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I talked to Eddie and asked why London was missing, and he said that he was just on a New York kick when he made the book, and now he's on a London one. He said he wants to put out another book with all the other moves he didn't get into this one, like Jailbreak and possibly the Hangman.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jailbreak isn't too difficult, it's just grabbing your own foot in side control and forcing it into butterfly hook position, right?

if you know of any cool setups from London other than that one armbar, I'd be grateful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can describe almost any technique in a way that makes it sound really simple...

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't have the book.
    Isn't London just the name for rubber guard while in gi?
    Or did Eddie invent a new name for something else?

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 10:32pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I adore pulling rubber gaurd on my left foot, because getting my foot up high sets up my shoulder submissions nicely, I like going for the omoplata, but switching to a kimura when my foot is just about to turn it into an omoplata.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:08pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm reposting my explanation of rubber guard terminology that I used in My Closed Guard:

Mission Control is the basic starting position from rubber guard. It's when you've broken their posture and climbed your guard, getting one foot behind their head and holding it with the opposite hand. The other foot is on the hip. Like so:

London is a grip from guard where you have an overhook on an arm (so it's in your armpit) then reach behind your knee and clasp your hands together. It puts a lot of pressure on their shoulder and locks in the position. It's good for setting up many attacks from guard, and it works right into rubber guard. Photo:

New York is when you get an overhook with your free arm (so their hand is in your armpit) and hug behind your knee. It's just another way of applying London (below) without letting go of mission control. Photo:

The meathook is when you reach behind your foot and around to their armpit, like this:

It is primarily used as triangle setup.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast