Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rubber Guard

Since it's a position I use myself, and I know how scattered and sparse tutorials are for it (or used to be, before Eddie put out his book), I thought I would compile all the rubber guard techniques I've found online in one place.

I must warn you though, even with all of these online tutorials, I didn't really start to get rubber guard until someone with experience in it personally showed me it and had me drill a couple moves. Maybe you'll have better luck. I really just recommend finding someone with experience who has been working on the rubber guard for a while and having them teach you.

Let's start with Eddie Bravo's site, TheTwister.tv:

Invisible Collar (arm/shoulder crank): http://thetwister.tv/Technique01.htm
    Meat Hook (triangle setup): http://thetwister.tv/Technique03.htm

Invisible collar again:

You can catch some rubber guard action in his anti-gi propoganda movie:

http://thetwister.tv/videos.htm

GrappleArts.com has two:

Meat Hook again: http://www.grapplearts.com/Rubber-Guard-Setup-1.htm
    The New School (triangle setup for MMA): http://www.grapplearts.com/Rubber-Guard-Setup-2.htm

Lockflow.com has a triangle setup by Eddie:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=80

BJJFighter.com has footage of the Meat Hook to triangle being used in competition:

http://www.bjjfighter.com/Video/rubber.wmv

Sherdog's User Submitted Techniques has a rubber guard guillotine (I think Eddie Bravo personally posted his approval at some point):

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...69#post4575269

And lastly, NOT KEMPO:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:00pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can find all of this (except the meathook and new school) and more in his new book, Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:01pm

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it have a forward by Chuck L. On how to paint my toenails?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:18pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem is flexablity. Especially with my newest back injury.

Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:22pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work on a stretching program (even if just informally) to develop flexibility. Ask your instructor for some stretches (I got some good ones from mine). I also recommend picking up the book Stretching by Bob Anderson at www.stretching.com. This book has really helped me.

I recommend picking up Eddie's book so you can see how he enters rubber guard. You gradually break them down until you're in position. If you're flexible, you can just jump into it, but if you follow the steps for breaking their posture and bring your legs up and setting up the grips, it takes a lot of the stretch out of it. Also understand that most of the bending is done in your hips.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:32pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go grab both Eddie's and Anderson's books tonight. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Work on a stretching program (even if just informally) to develop flexibility. Ask your instructor for some stretches (I got some good ones from mine). I also recommend picking up the book Stretching by Bob Anderson at www.stretching.com. This book has really helped me.

I recommend picking up Eddie's book so you can see how he enters rubber guard. You gradually break them down until you're in position. If you're flexible, you can just jump into it, but if you follow the steps for breaking their posture and bring your legs up and setting up the grips, it takes a lot of the stretch out of it. Also understand that most of the bending is done in your hips.
    you have any opinion on stretching scientifically? i think taebo master recommended it here once, and i just ordered a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 3:01pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm afraid I've never read it, but I've heard of it. Don't know much about it. You're going to have to pioneer this one on your own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 4:10pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *disclaimer, noobie white belt*

I've only tapped 2 guys so far, ever (a little under 4 months of training). Both came in the single no-gi class I've attended. One was an ankle lock while back mounted (kind of lucky, that guy owned me otherwise), and the other was a perfect rubber guard omoplata. I got the guy in my guard, pulled his head down, and all I could think of was trying out the rubber guard for the first time. I grabbed my leg, got the overhook, pushed his head away, and omoplata, boom. This is why I seriously love the rubber guard. In fact I got the same thing on my instructor last night, but being a brown belt he could get out of the omoplata easily enough.

I think it's a great position, it leads to so many things, so much more control and setups, it is about 1 step away from an omoplata or a triangle. In MMA, it inhibits GnP.

+rep for Eddie Bravo.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 7:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Nino Schembri use the rubber guard to control Sakuraba, and basically strike him at will?

I think I might have to buy Eddie Bravo's book.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast