Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo
    Bun Yip of all people.

Hey mods, can you zap this thread?

Apologies, all.
    I'll bump it down for you, I hadn't seen these clips until now, the other thread slipped by me. I am grateful for it too...
    We are surrounded by warships and dont have time to talk. Please pray for us. One Somali Pirate.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to be a buzz kill ... :eusa_shif
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 4:55am

Style: Muay Thai yaaay!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried out a Yi Chaun class once.
    Most of it consisted of standing posture meditation and push hands, and then training the explosive power. I've def. felt a disproportionate amount of power being generated with a small amount of movement, caused by a sudden shift in bodyweight distribution...
    Basically we were told to keep shifting our weight between front and backleg (in what was pretty much a XingYi posture) until we broke the pattern and shifted forwards as quick as we could while pushing. something like that.

However, I doubt you could make people fly off your arm in such an over-the-top manner using such methods.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 1:52pm

Style: XingYi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some that capture a little bit more of the realistic side of yi quan.

http://www.iliqchuan.org/

click on videos. Though they are demo's its still decent.

Peace
    Tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 8:31pm

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let this guy or the clips give you the impression of I Chuan. Most I Chuan practicioners I have talked to think these clips are bogus (the stomping etc.) I have touched hands with some I Chuan guys and some are the real deal. Their ability to detect intention and topple you at just the right moment (gaps between thought and movement) is amazing, even more so then push hands. They focus on just the most basics of chi gong practice (standing stake) and the originating intention of the movements, not the movements themselves (like Taiji/xingyi/bagua seem to be doing now).

Supposedly high level masters really had this sort of ability, it is supposedly done by the spirals, body mechanics, and intention being so refined that one is able to do these things with minimum effort/movement. I used to think one of my old tai chi teachers wasn't doing his movements right, and during his forms, when there was supposed to be an obvious weight shift/movement, I noticed I didn't see any. And his forms were no longer in low stances and long elongated movements (but still perfect in relation to the movement of all limbs/body and position). He then explained to me that when you get much better, the weight shifting is more internal and is hardly noticible as you have achieved a better balance.During push hands, when he noticed I was even the slightest imbalanced, he would be able to push me farther away with minimal movement . But most other students had to actually visibly exert force on to me once an imbalance was detected to push me half as far.

What most taiji people don't see about I Chuan, or other IMA's that focus on loose whippy fa jing but without barely moving the legs, is that the power still comes from the rooting of the legs and is still disperesed the same way (through legs, through hips, shoulders to finger tips). just such a refined explosion that it is barely visible. That is what leads people to the whole "chi" theory, because it is happening internally, and not on the surface. But who knows,That is why Ichuan doesn't focus as much on the movements, but on whats goin on inside.

These are just theories, I have no idea and can't confirm.
    Last edited by BaguaMonk; 12/25/2005 8:45pm at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah, 1 out of 5. It's the 21st century goddamnit, I want some decent special effects. How much would a digital camera and a computer cost? If you're going to go for the jedi force powers **** at least put in some cool laser blasts or something, cheap fucking bastards.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12