supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    affirmative ....

and a bunch of other weird **** ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 4:28am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've taken some silat in the past, and I've been hit by it in sparring. It has its merits. This guy had a lot of slapping going on. The stuff I remember had a lot of strikes to the joints...kinda tough to do in the heat of a real fight, but if you do land one, it's gonna sting. It's worth having in the old bag of tricks, but it's not the only thing I'd use in a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 7:12am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He can slap pretty fast thats for sure, and although it might hurt, in the heat of combat I'm not sure if that would stop someone on his tracks, he uses it as a set up to apply a more powerfull blow or some kind of joint manipulation but then again they just sit there waiting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 8:22am

Style: Muay Thai & "t3h gr4ppl3"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've rewritten the the Ren and Stimpy song to reflect this video and alot of other **** I've seen on the net. Here it goes: slappy, slappy...tap,tap...slappy,slappy...tap,tap...slapp y,slappy...tap,tap...and well, you can guess the rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 9:06am

Style: BJJ (Alliance) Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever seen a boxing match where anyone strikes like that?

If not, do you think professional boxers/fighters are just willfully "ignoring" these great techniques?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 11:42am

Style: mixed +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the end of the day, you can be the fastest, the strongest and the most highly skilled martial artist, but if you can't hit your target.........it means nothing. Martial artists alway seem to assume that what they do works. Get into the ring to see whether you have distance skills against a moving opponent who is also being offensive. Don't use the excuse that you only do the real thing. Well the ring -boxing mma, full contact, or wrestling, is the most real place to try your distance skills, so quit with the excuses and justifications why you won't go into the ring to test your skills.
    When people say they don't need to, it is a sign that they have never tested themselves other then their own students.........................

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:45pm

Style: Boxing (sumasshu hige)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Patty-Cake Patty-Cake Silat Man

I especially like the sound effects he provides. Stomping your foot as you mime a punch is a well-respected technique in WWE and Stampede wrestling too.

The problem (as I am well-qualified to state after my 8 hour seminar) with Silat and Kali etc seems to be that they base everything on the blade. They train for the worst-case scenario - a fast little guy after you with a knife in each hand. Then so they don't have to learn boxing, which they'll only have to use when attacked in the shower and their knife fell out, they justy adapt all the movements to empty hand.

Imagine this Clear character playing patty-cake on you like that with a knife -fucking scary. Since it's not a real focus, their boxing tends to be weak. You already know how much his punches will hurt, less than your jab. See the Dog Bros if you want some good Philipino stuff, They actually beat on each other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 2:09pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not everyone trains for a midget blender coming at you. I for one do not get that in my training unless my drill partner takes my stick or knife away. Then I have to get it back without too much collateral damage. As for the video, the guy is showing several concepts in Silat.

He shows the jerky (can't remember proper name) concepts for the most part hence the "quick" motions everyone is observing. But then when you see him reaching for the waist he's doing the twisting concepts. Where they rotate different portions of the body in ways to make the other person too contorted to properly defend themselves. That's the theory at least. I haven't personally done it. I no longer do the Silat portion at my school and am focusing more on Kali.

As far as Clear Silat's claim to KO's without touching I have no opinion. I don't go there. :)

In addition, the Dog Bro's can barely close their own hands from what I've heard. Because of the full contact attitude in their style.

Check out Doce Pares. They seem very well rounded. Also look up Pangamot sometime to see the unarmed portions of Kali.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 3:26pm

Style: Boxing (sumasshu hige)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not everyone trains for a midget blender coming at you.
    There are about ten million midget blenders in Manilla alone, that's why they all carry knives. Perhaps my point wasn't clear. (I can't wait to call my Brother-in-law a midget blender ha.. maybe not he always has a knife.)
    He shows the jerky blah blah blah... That's the theory at least.
    He's doing stuff that only makes sense if he strikes with a knife. With empty hands that would really tickle.

As far as Clear Silat's claim to KO's without touching I have no opinion. I don't go there. :)
    Atta boy. If Clear does in fact suck, doesn't necessarily mean Silat does.

In addition, the Dog Bro's can barely close their own hands from what I've heard. Because of the full contact attitude in their style.
    That doesn't make any sense. I have a full contact attitude, and I can close my hand very firmly. They are respected because they prove their ****.

Check out Doce Pares. They seem very well rounded. Also look up Pangamot sometime to see the unarmed portions of Kali.
    Here is a bit of science. Somebody else look them up and independantly confirm my hypothesis:
    Because they focus on sharps, their movements will only make sense if the do them with a knife or a stick. When they demonstrate their "dirty boxing", it will be pissweak tippy-tappy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 3:37pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That doesn't make any sense. I have a full contact attitude, and I can close my hand very firmly. They are respected because they prove their ****.
    I respect them too and from what I have heard is their hands are crippled because they didn't use to wear gloves while doing their stick work.

Because they focus on sharps, their movements will only make sense if the do them with a knife or a stick. When they demonstrate their "dirty boxing", it will be pissweak tippy-tappy.
    It's not all focused on knife work man. The hand to hand hardly has a knife feel in Kali. As far as silat goes they seem to be more saturation of senses than all out striking. (IE: Striking multiple targets and twisting the person in several directions at once).

Is your perspective of the style in an arena or in a street/survival scenario?

In an arena event I can see this style having a lot of difficulties, but as far as street it can hold it's own well. I can only speak from my experiences at the school I attend. We train to survive.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast