232653 Bullies, 3960 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 7:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is similar to those arts sparring but involves spades and trucks and rotating knives.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 8:17am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah, gotcha. i thought it might have been broadcast on PPV

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more question. On average, how does a adult BJJ class last. 1 hour, 1.5 hours?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually about 60 or 90 minutes, and the option to stay past that and train more. Some places do 2 hour classes though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:41pm

Style: Thai Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started BJJ 3 months ago so maybe I can give my experiance on the matter.

The first thing that happened when I got in the small room was that everyone was pretty much relaxed but serious. I was scared because everyone looked bad ass and tough compared to the fat bastards at "Shaolin Kempo Karate" that I did prior to that. Needless to say the first class is scary because it's extremely intensive, you're all alone and everyone is much better then you. This feeling will go away in a 2-3 classes.

In my first classes, we started with a warm ups. (Now it's different, some days we do heavy, to light, to direct sparring) We run laps in a circle, sidestrafing and the teacher usually calls out : SPRAWL! and you have to sprawl, and keep running. After around 5 minutes of this, we jog in place and throw punches (It's a Muay Thai + BJJ combined) Then we formed a big circle and did my first drill (Note to everyone, every class is different. It's been 3 months since we didn't do this drill) Each member had to go to every other student and take him down with a single leg takedown and after double leg. Starting out, you have no idea what to do. I used to grab the legs and my face was right in front of his or her damn groin. Then I learned to do it correctly but as long as you get the guy on the floor it's not a problem. People arn't as severe and if you can get the job done, congrats. (Some people will test you by resisting 100%, most are relaxed and don't resist crazy like).

After that, the teacher showed us a few moves, shrimping out, kimura from guard, armbar from mount, scissor sweep, collar choke and that's all I can remember. After that it was a few minutes of sparring and class was done (My classes last 2 hours)

3 months later, every class is a few mins of warm-up and then sparring, sparring, sparring and more sparring. In other words, newbies get thrown to the lions but with some sort of armor that prevents them from dying and so they learn how the lions work and attack and you pick up instinctivly from that. Don't worry about if you're learning or not, just by sparring and losing, you feel movements and that's already a very important thing. One day you'll learn the flying armbar, but for now, get ready to lose and you will lose for a damn long while. (P.S. I weigh 140, 5"11' and almost everyone is 6", 200-220 pounds of muscle. Before I used to be a ragdoll, now I'm a ragdoll that can hold his own for a few minutes. :)

P.S.S : Injuries ahoy. So far, 2 strained toes, 1 broken toe, Finger strained, chronic knee pains and joint problems. Only 3 months in :5crackup:
    Last edited by Pr0phecy; 12/23/2005 11:43pm at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 9:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great article. One thing that should perhaps be mentioned is that bjj schools are highly variable.
    At my school there is zero formal introduction (though 'fundamentals' classes are now available) and newbies are almost thrown in. Everyone knows they're new and helps out but it can be a little unnerving and reader should be made aware of that possibility.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the only place I've seen positional hierarchy formally presented was at an SBGi affiliate in Berkeley CA.
    They had it posted on a wall.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 9:46pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your username rocks.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first day I got my Karate Gi torn and my elbow capsule popped by a mad purple belt.

Gotta love Gracie Barra...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldn't call the guard a neutral position. I think alot of people would consider it a dominant position.

tell first timers to be ready for soreness the next day
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast