Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:15pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    "Spazzed out."

So wrong, and yet so funny.

Might want to add something in there to encourage wing chun people to struggle as hard as they can during sparring and / or foam at the mouth while raving about chi not working on smelly yoga mats and also my arms are twisted and how the hell am I supposed to do chi sau when you're sitting on my face goddam it gays.
    That's just too fuckin' funny!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    BJJ doesn't drill breakfalling nearly as much as judo since throws are not the emphasis. It varies of school to school, but most seem to just do breakfalls down the length of the mat a couple times at the start of class.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. Well, I have another question, and I don't know if that fits in this particular thread. Since I started BJJ (and reading a bit about wrestling), I've seen the term takedown a lot. What exactly is a takedown? What's differenciates it from a throw? I sort of assume that a takedown is a throw with a transition to ground control and sumbmission. Would that be a correct assumption?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:33pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Takedown is just the general term for something that brings them to the ground (other than pulling guard). A throw is a takedown. Double and single legs are takedowns. I don't think anyone is really making a conscious effort to differentiate between throws and takedowns -- that's just what people in BJJ tend to call them.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to find the Gracie article published in the newspaper: "If you want your face smashed, your arms broken......"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Takedown is just the general term for something that brings them to the ground (other than pulling guard). A throw is a takedown. Double and single legs are takedowns. I don't think anyone is really making a conscious effort to differentiate between throws and takedowns -- that's just what people in BJJ tend to call them.
    Thanks for the explanation :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:18pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At what point do you introduce positional hierarchy? I ask because I've been rolling a bit more recently and have met a number of people less experienced than myself. Based on the advice that I've been given -- on this site and elsewhere -- it's positional control that a newbie should really be after; consequently, I believe that giving them context ("It's better to move into this position, worse to move into this one") helps them orient themselves quite a bit.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I need to find the Gracie article published in the newspaper: "If you want your face smashed, your arms broken......"

Don't forget the big-ass ugly ears you end up with.... eeeewwwwwww.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen the positional hierachy formally taught at my school. I'm one of the guys who will grab white belts and explain it to them, or show them when they are doing their first lesson.

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 3:04pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of times we'll just throw noobs into the fire and hope they pick things up along the way because we've got people training for fights constantly. But normally we use a basic position-flow drill to illustrate the heirarchy/flow of positions, which goes: top guard, top half guard, mount, side control, knee on belly, kesa, north south (with arm trapped), referee's position top turtle, and then top turtle with hooks in. At which point, the bottom guy rolls into top guard (compliantly, for the purposes of the drill), and then it goes from there with the roles reversed.

Obviously you don't want to give up certian positions (like side control) once you've achieved them (unless you just can't do anything with it), but it helps our noobs get used to the fundamental positions and get it in there heads where they should be trying to get to from a bad position while avoiding submissions.

Once they get it down, we'll drill either escaping from each inferior position to a superior one (back to guard at least), while the other guy works to improve or maintain a the superior position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 6:44am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "At most schools the class concludes with live sparring."

wot is this LIVE SPARRING that bjjers talk about? is it ifferent to SPARRING in judo, MT, KK, etc?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast