Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's worth it if you've found you can already pick up techniques from books and you put in the time to work it out and drill it, and you're not afraid of unusual moves. If you're just getting into BJJ though and want good books, just go with Ed Beneville's latest, but I recommend something like The Triangle by Rigan Machado or any of Jean-Jacques' book over Helio's overpriced coffee table cover.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I heard the "coffee table" label bring thrown around with regards to Helio's book but that's another thread entirely. I already have the video from The Triangle and I'm pretty comfortable learning moves from various media and using them in class, but they tend to be pretty basic (i.e. guard openings, sub escapes).

Maybe I'll try to build up my flashier material with Leozihno's videos first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 12:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I picked up this book recently and I've found it very helpful thus far. Especially the half guard material. Though I've found that several details have been glossed over for the intermediate grappler. Like the following.

A question about the Twist Back move on pages 36-37. Especially step 3, picture 3. Hopefully someone will be able to provide me with some insight into accomplishing this step. At this point in the move the lockdown is released and you have their leg pulled back with your left leg, you are attempting to get your right foot hooked around their knee to establish leverage to twist their leg and facilitate the sweep.

In attempting to drill this technique I, and my partners, found it terribly difficult to establish the right foot hook on your opponents right knee. Does anyone have any tips on gaining that hook? In all likelyhood I'm missing the proper hip positioning to tuck my foot around or under the knee.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    It's worth it if you've found you can already pick up techniques from books and you put in the time to work it out and drill it, and you're not afraid of unusual moves.
    So do you practice these moves outside of just rolling (as in drilling the moves with a partner) before really landing them on others? Because yeah I don't see myself picking up moves without some time spent drilling it oustide of a free rolling environment just yet (from a book or an instructor).

I lent my copy to one of my instructors and he liked the book. He's got some similar half guard moves (he's got a move called the Hog Tie that's similar to the Electric Chair) that he's going to show me as well, though. I figure I'll just learn the right way (from an instructor in person) then worry about the book later. But I'm already working on setting the rubber guard, even if I lose/abandon it to go for more familiar moves. Just to get a feel for later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    If you're just getting into BJJ though and want good books, just go with Ed Beneville's latest, but I recommend something like The Triangle by Rigan Machado or any of Jean-Jacques' book over Helio's overpriced coffee table cover.
    check. I'll see what I can scrounge up before resorting to online shopping. I do mostly no Gi stuff and truly suck at the triangle. Is Machado's The Triangle good for both gi and no-gi, or are there a lot of sleeve and collar grabbing setups?
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:20pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the half guard info helped me out abit. i just learned a pretty good sweep from that postion as well.

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aeso,
    I went to the seminar where those photos were later taken which was about 2.5 years ago. I remember Eddie saying that he had good flexibility and so could have his left knee on the ground and his ankle up high in the air. For those of us with less flexibility, it's easier to use the right foot to hook behind your opponent's knee and then bring the left leg through to figure-four the legs. I also think it would be a stronger move since you can put weight on your right foot to stop him dragging his leg back, and then bring your left leg through.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 7:40pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Johnny, thanks for the clarification. Having sorted this out, I may start using the twister again since the reason I dropped it was having too much trouble with this step.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 8:04pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got this book and I think it is fantastic. I was wondering if anyone could explain how to do the "jailbreak"?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 8:11pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's when you escape side control by reaching down and manually pulling your far side foot and sticking it in as a hook so you can return to guard.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by relytjj
    I picked up this book recently and I've found it very helpful thus far. Especially the half guard material. Though I've found that several details have been glossed over for the intermediate grappler. Like the following.

A question about the Twist Back move on pages 36-37. Especially step 3, picture 3. Hopefully someone will be able to provide me with some insight into accomplishing this step. At this point in the move the lockdown is released and you have their leg pulled back with your left leg, you are attempting to get your right foot hooked around their knee to establish leverage to twist their leg and facilitate the sweep.

In attempting to drill this technique I, and my partners, found it terribly difficult to establish the right foot hook on your opponents right knee. Does anyone have any tips on gaining that hook? In all likelyhood I'm missing the proper hip positioning to tuck my foot around or under the knee.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I had a very specific question, and I used the search function:cool:

Does anyone have an answer to the quoted question?

I've just gotten back to training last week at a new gym, and my new training partners just stared slack-jawed at me while I was trying to work half-guard.

Apparantly I'm "supposed" to work to regain guard while they mount and submit me.

Anyway, I got this sweep (Twist Back) to work real nicely on my first try the other day, and then another guy jumped in to stop us and asked me to show everybody what I had just done. I did a craptastic job explaining it, and then was further embarassed by my inability to demonstrate it effectively.

The issue is getting the 'inside' leg to the 'outside' so that I can hook behind the knee.

Any thoughts?

-Jordan
    -Jordan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast