and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OTC painkillers bad for building muscle

Turns out aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen (COX inhibitors) are bad for muscle gains. I did not know this and had been taking aspirin and **** all the time before or after workouts. Dammit.

The short version:
    "Hormone signal -> phospholipase 2 active-> release of AA from membrane-> COX conversion of AA to prostoglandins(this is where aspirin stops the pathway) ->signal for protein synthesis-> protein synthesis"

The poster recommended no aspirin within 5 hours of a workout.

http://www.fortifiediron.com/invisio...showtopic=1790

Study:
    http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/hellerst...e_AJP_2002.pdf
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks. I had 2 fillings and a temp crown done last Tuesday and my teeth STILL hurt, so I'm taking lots of Ibuprofent. (yes, I went to the dentist again and he did some "touch up" stuff to see if it will help)

Oh well, I doubt it effects it that much.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Turns out aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen (COX inhibitors) are bad for muscle gains. I did not know this and had been taking aspirin and **** all the time before or after workouts. Dammit.

The short version:
    "Hormone signal -> phospholipase 2 active-> release of AA from membrane-> COX conversion of AA to prostoglandins(this is where aspirin stops the pathway) ->signal for protein synthesis-> protein synthesis"

The poster recommended no aspirin within 5 hours of a workout.

http://www.fortifiediron.com/invisio...showtopic=1790

Study:
    http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/hellerst...e_AJP_2002.pdf
    It's this kind of thing that makes me think some sort of Journal Club subforum would be useful here.

It's not wise to make any kind of recommendations based on a single report. There's usually some important background information, information that the authors assume that the readers understand.

Remember, these are articles written for other professionals in a, sometimes, very narrow field.

So, sometimes, university departments in the sciences have informal "Journal Clubs". They meet weekly; individual members present the results of select papers. The presenters usually go into some detail of the background research - follow the citations, if you will, or see if other papers have cited the study in question.

So, to help clarify, let me provide some of what I understand as the background - it's related to an area I spent some time, surveying the literature.

The authors of this paper seem to be studying a specific physiological response to excercise, one known as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

DOMS is associated with unfamiliar, eccentric contractions. An eccentric contraction is one where the muscle is lengthening as it contracts (a concentric is one where the muscle shortens - it's the concentric contraction we tend to associated with function). The cycle of an eccentric contraction followed by a concentric contraction is the cornerstone of plyometrics.

Another way to understand eccentric - DOMS is studied by having people run downhill - the quads act as (eccentric) brakes.

Obviously, weight lifting involves an eccentric component (i.e. lowering the bar to your chest during bench press). But as you become adapted to the exercise, DOMS goes away - it's only associated with an unfamiliar eccentric contraction.

Part of DOMS research has focused on the role of NSAIDS - could pain relievers be used, prophylatically, to prevent DOMS?

That does not appear to be the case - the symptoms of DOMS do not appear to be triggered by prostaglandins. So you're going to be sore, if you undertake a new training regime.

On the other hand, pain relievers do relieve the symptoms of DOMS, once they occur. That's one thing I haven't mentioned - one key feature of DOMS is that the symptoms start to appear 24-72 hours after the exercise - delayed onset.

In this study, pain killers were given 3X a day (at the maximum recommended dosage), starting on the day of exercise. Protein synthesis was measured, if I read correctly, 5 hours after the exercise bout.

There wasn't so much a decrease in protein synthesis, as a smaller increase.

Not sure how important that is - the early response in DOMS is very differently, cellularly, than the chronic responses to exercise. The signal responsible for muscle growth is mediated by a different pathway, separate from prostaglandins.

From my reading, the paper is more important in understanding short-term responses to DOMS and the role of NSAIDs, than understanding how NSAIDs affect long-term muscle adaptations to resistance training.

One thing the authors do not go into much detail on, one intriguing result, is the differences in plasma creatine kinase, with different treatments, in Table 2.

Creatine kinase is an enzyme that is only found in muscle cells - finding it in blood indicates muscle cell damage.

The mean values for CK appear to be much higher for the acetominophen group. However, they authors state the results are not statistically significant - I'd suspect because the large variances within treatment groups.

Conversely, the CK values ibuprofen group are considerable smaller than the placebo group, hinting that ibuprogen protects against muscle cell damage - however, as the authors state, these results are not statstically significant.

However, they do cite that other studies suggest that ibuprofen does indeed lower CK levels after exercise - so maybe ibuprofen does have a protective effect (and this protection may be related to blunting of short term protein synthesis - my opinion - proteins required to tear down muscle structure themselve require synthesis).

So, in short, take the single study cited with a grain of salt.

And if you're going to take a pain-reliever, use ibuprofen.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 6:48am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never quite understood the issue with DOMS. By that I mean, I never took, nor even considered taking pain killers for it. To me it's not even entirely unpleasant.

But yeah, as Mr. Dakota noted, it seems to have most to do with unfamiliarity...not neccesarily intensity, duration, or any of that. In fact, I'm damn sure I've had DOMS from unfamiliar "contrentric" crap as well.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That explains a lot. When I was going 3 days on and one day off for weight lifting, I usually wasn't very tired the next day. Now, in school and all, I go for one hard session and I hurt for a day or two. Out of practice.