223538 Bullies, 3799 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 182
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,911

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 7:55am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Bob
    I'd say it's incumbent on Mi_Man_US to substantiate his claim. Otherwise it's just internet rumour-mongering. Trying to prove that something has never happened is kind of, um, impossible, but verification of an accusation should be easy.
    .
    Doesn't stop anyone from asking their opinion on such allegations. JC didn't say they were true. He asked how he felt about them. Jumping the gun a bit aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_man_us
    His tests are unhealthy...people puking their guts out, failing entire groups because they did not kiai loud enough, lasting for hours on end...if rank is not important...why not make the tests easier and promote people?
    You are very contradictory. You gripe about his BS forms then want him to do Mcdojo/BS practices.

    If more McDojos failed people TMAs wouldn't be in such a sorry state.
    If more instructors were abrasive maybe we'd see KF in UFC, Pride, or your favorite fight venue.
    He spars hard with students? WTF. No if he is hurting them on purpose yeah there is a problem

    Yet,
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_man_us
    ..he spars hard with certain students that he knows he can hit really hard...and has often broken many parts of their bodies.
    This implies he had permission so, what's the problem?
  2. mi_man_us is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 10:03am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is turning into an interesting discussion. I know of 3 former students and a former teacher who were threatened by Robert Brown.

    I never said that his forms are BS or that he should McDojo anything. What I am saying is that his message is very contradictory, that's all.

    The question about the testing at this school and the rank is...if rank is not important as everyone is there is taught, then why is rank so important? Why is no one eligible for black sash? Why are the tests 6 or 7 hours or longer? If it is not important, why does the test have to be so important?

    The answer, according to the School of Chinese Martial Arts, is that it is a test of the will, to push oneself to the limit, to go beyond what the mind thinks that the body can do, etc. OK...to a point. But, if martial arts is about improving everyday life, as well as learning practical martial arts skills, then should not the real test be what happens in a student's every day life and the other part of the test should be performing technique?

    Does it really help to have to perform forms 40 or 50 times in a row while this person is staring at you with a scowl in his face? And then flunking an entire test group because the kiai is not loud enough? What life lesson is that?

    As for sparring hard...well...you can say he had permission, as the student is there, but you have to witness it to understand the abuse that occurs. This besides the fact that he was sparring with someone, beat that person into a changing room, chased after that person, then punched that person and broke his nose. All this under the guise of teaching.
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,911

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 1:22pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_man_us
    This is turning into an interesting discussion. I know of 3 former students and a former teacher who were threatened by Robert Brown.

    I never said that his forms are BS or that he should McDojo anything. What I am saying is that his message is very contradictory, that's all.
    Then this is a lie?
    His "Yuchia" is a purposeful change in spelling to make it look like the real "Yuechia". If anyone knows anything about Onishi Sensei, they know tha he learned Yuechia in China and upon returning to Japan, changed his Koi Kan to Kendogaku (the Japanese version of Yuechia, which is still a sticking point among his students).
    His "Yuchia Federation" is him...so the rank is meaningless.
    Hs Yuechia/Kendogaku teacher is real. I know him. He is great, wonderful, etc. he also taught Brown the entire TŠi Chi form, but Brown was not interested, so what Brown teaches is part TŠi Chi form and much filling in the blanks. Most who practice his Yang form will tell you that it hurts the body to do it.
    He bought "Yuchia" and his rank.
    There is no such person as Dr. Wu Chin Lee...made up for the "mystery" of it all.

    His only kung-fu teacher that kicked him out for being too abusive says that what he teaches is not Yuechia...more a mix of isshin-ryu and his memory.
    Buying his rank is Bullshido.
    Changing the name of his style to make it close to a real style is Bullshido.
    Inventing secret training is Bullshido.
    Inventing a fake teacher is Bullshido.
    Teaching a partial form and filling in the blanks (pssst that's making up a form) is Bullshido.


    This what you typed even if, you didn't spell out the word bullshido.
    The question about the testing at this school and the rank is...if rank is not important as everyone is there is taught, then why is rank so important? Why is no one eligible for black sash? Why are the tests 6 or 7 hours or longer? If it is not important, why does the test have to be so important?
    Maybe he wants it to be a real accomplishment? That doesn't mean rank is important.

    The answer, according to the School of Chinese Martial Arts, is that it is a test of the will, to push oneself to the limit, to go beyond what the mind thinks that the body can do, etc. OK...to a point. But, if martial arts is about improving everyday life, as well as learning practical martial arts skills, then should not the real test be what happens in a student's every day life and the other part of the test should be performing technique?
    What school of Chinese MA? This sounds like YOUR opinion. Why?

    Are you suggesting a teacher stalk his student to see what he does in his everyday life?


    As a former instructor I have no time to interview every prospective rank changing student's employer, parents, friends, enemies, loves, or schools to see if he is upholding the Martial Standard.

    This supposed Martial Standard that is open to a billion different interpretations.

    Does it really help to have to perform forms 40 or 50 times in a row while this person is staring at you with a scowl in his face? And then flunking an entire test group because the kiai is not loud enough? What life lesson is that?
    I don't know I wasn't there. You say it was 40 -50 where's the proof? You say it was Kiai, I don't know where's the proof?
    For all I know it was 4-5 times and people quit and he flunked them.
    As for sparring hard...well...you can say he had permission, as the student is there, but you have to witness it to understand the abuse that occurs. This besides the fact that he was sparring with someone, beat that person into a changing room, chased after that person, then punched that person and broke his nose. All this under the guise of teaching.
    Wow quick change now. You said he has/had a select group.
    Brown is abusive...he spars hard with certain students that he knows he can hit really hard...and has often broken many parts of their bodies.
    Now you are saying it is by virtue of being in class? Hey, keep your story straight. It is either a select group that he knows can take punishment (I was part of a group like this). Or, he abuses all students. There really is no middle ground on this point.
  4. mi_man_us is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 1:30pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey It is Fake...you answered your own question:

    Loyalty is the sentimental failure to face facts. -Matt Thorton
    (Heard it from MrMcFu)
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,911

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 1:42pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_man_us
    Hey It is Fake...you answered your own question:

    Loyalty is the sentimental failure to face facts. -Matt Thorton
    (Heard it from MrMcFu)
    So, you are avoiding answering questions? Gotcha.

    You have provided no facts just conjecture and opinions.
  6. mi_man_us is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 2:01pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a little confused by your statement that I have only provided conjecture.

    I personally know the test group that was flunked because of a kiai not being loud enough.
    I personally know 3 of the people that were threatened with violence.
    I have personally done my forms 40 or 50 times for a test while he scowled at us.

    It is my understanding that this forum is to talk about either McDojo's (which Robert Brown does not own) or questionable martial artists. I am talking about someone who has invented his past to a large degree, thus making him questionable.

    I never said that his "Yuchia" style is bogus or no good. It is a good fighting style. Why does he not take pride in it and say that he made it up instead of inventing non-existant teachers, secret training with a monk at night without the government translator?

    Serious T'ai Chi people and teachers have told me that what he teaches is not Yang T'ai Chi but rather portions of Yang T'ai Chi and the rest filled in.

    As for my "opinion" on tests, well, all I can say is that I bought his lines for many years, and I spread his lines for many years. Ask him why his tests are so long and hard, if you have not, and see how far his answer if from what I wrote?

    I am not suggesting that a teacher stalked his students, I am saying that he did.

    Making up your own forms does not Bullshido make..after all, all forms were made up at some point in time.

    What is wrong, is, for example, when Robert Brown teaches weapons, he states that the monks made him practice for hours and hours on end and would not teach him any more until it was good enough. Never any praise, and often he heard "NO!" from them...the way he teaches the weapons.

    Well, I have seen the monks who taught him...and he videotaped it...and they were not that good, and they did not make him practice for hours on end.

    I am done with this...I will post no more. Apparently my experience at Robert Brown's place is not factual enough.

    At some point in time, just as what happened last year, and about 7 or 8 years before that, the senior students will see the light and leave. Then, he will quickly promote a new batch.
  7. chingythingy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166

    Posted On:
    5/23/2007 8:45pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_man_us
    It is my understanding that this forum is to talk about either McDojo's (which Robert Brown does not own) or questionable martial artists. I am talking about someone who has invented his past to a large degree, thus making him questionable.
    mi_man_us,

    Don't get offended by requests for facts. Most of this particular forum (MABS) focuses on honing in on things that are substantiated and provable so that all the investigations have real weight as opposed to being based upon opinions which can be refuted.

    By everything said here, this Robert Brown guy seems to have an eclectic background in traditional martial arts, but hasn't really mastered any one of them. He also appears to be running quite a little cult there.

    Yes, doing forms 50 times is a waste of time. Forms themselves being emphasized a great deal is a waste of time when it comes to developing real fighting skills.

    Sparring and beating on students that he has developed from the beginning in a cruel fashion is chicken ****. Sifu Brown probably doesn't have fighting skills of any kind of quality. He's probably just brainwashed his students to be compliant. If he does, how does he stand up to more trained fighters that fight in paid MMA events? Or even amateur MMA fighters like you will find at kickboxing schools, muy thai schools, mma schools, or bjj schools?

    Long 6 hour tests to "develop your mind to go beyond your body" are full of ****. Go down to a local MMA school on open mat night to develop your mind to go beyond your body. You'll probably find your mind will get knocked completely beyond your body.

    And some people may like the traditional weapons, but really now, how realistic is it to become proficient at a 6 foot spear? Do you carry it on the bus with you for self defense? Do you and your homies go out in groups of 10 in full phalanx format when you go to bars?
    The monks trained weapons to protect themselves against troops. Until gunpowder was invented, then the troops set up cannons at 200 yards and blew the **** out of the spear carrying experts.

    Dressing up in silk pajamas and doing forms and slap fighting each other and calling it skilled is just plain silly.

    Go find something to train in that will teach you how to fight, and let Sifu Brown and his group of Moonies LARP themselves to death all in formal sounding language.

    And this thread started in 2005. It's two years later, and all you little zombies could have had a blue belt by now in BJJ if you'd snap out of the trance.
    Last edited by chingythingy; 5/23/2007 8:47pm at .
  8. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,911

    Posted On:
    5/24/2007 10:19am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mi_man_us
    I am a little confused by your statement that I have only provided conjecture.

    I personally know the test group that was flunked because of a kiai not being loud enough.
    I personally know 3 of the people that were threatened with violence.
    I have personally done my forms 40 or 50 times for a test while he scowled at us.
    You come off as angry and upset. We get people here all the time that say I saw this and then leave. Never providing any confirmation, papers, certificates, or anything to prove they trained with said people.

    They make allegations then when pressed get mad and leave or continue to troll the board.
    It is my understanding that this forum is to talk about either McDojo's (which Robert Brown does not own) or questionable martial artists. I am talking about someone who has invented his past to a large degree, thus making him questionable.
    The bold is the exact definition of bullshido and you need to provide facts and information to prove these allegations. You have a laundry list of things you say are true because you saw them first hand. That's all well and good but, we can't take you at your word. If that is the case then you lose 2 to 1 because he has 2 supporters posting.

    Do you understand why you need proof now?
    I never said that his "Yuchia" style is bogus or no good. It is a good fighting style. Why does he not take pride in it and say that he made it up instead of inventing non-existant teachers, secret training with a monk at night without the government translator?
    You said he changed the name to try and be related to YUECHIA.
    His only kung-fu teacher that kicked him out for being too abusive says that what he teaches is not Yuechia...more a mix of isshin-ryu and his memory.
    Whether it has a legit techniques or not if true he is bullshido for trying to make his made up art match a legit art. That is the implication from your posts.

    Serious T'ai Chi people and teachers have told me that what he teaches is not Yang T'ai Chi but rather portions of Yang T'ai Chi and the rest filled in.
    So, his forms are made up.

    I am not suggesting that a teacher stalked his students, I am saying that he did.
    See, this is a strong accusation where is the proof?

    Making up your own forms does not Bullshido make..after all, all forms were made up at some point in time.
    It is when YOU state that he learned real forms then filled in the blanks. That is made up. Your implication in your rant is that he isn't legit because he didn't finish his training.
    I am talking about someone who has invented his past to a large degree, thus making him questionable.
    You need to take the Matt thorton quote and apply it to yourself. You make these accusations but out of some misguided loyalty you keep backin away from your stance.

    He's questionable. He has made up forms. He has some poor teachers (the monks). One teacher is completely fabricated. Two styles are unfinished or misnamed.

    Yet, you never said he was bullshido.

    This is something that you have now reiterated in two posts. If it isn't an issue why keep pointing out the fact that what is Yang isn't a real Yang form? Why point out Yuechia isn't real Yuechia?

    Well, I have seen the monks who taught him...and he videotaped it...and they were not that good, and they did not make him practice for hours on end.
    So, you saw him train with said monks?

    I am done with this...I will post no more. Apparently my experience at Robert Brown's place is not factual enough.

    At some point in time, just as what happened last year, and about 7 or 8 years before that, the senior students will see the light and leave. Then, he will quickly promote a new batch.
    You will read again so listen closely.

    This is MABS you can not make allegations with no proof.

    You called him a stalker.
    You called him abusive.
    You said the monks that taught him weren't good.
    You said his Yuechia, according to his teacher, isn't real Yuechia.
    You said his kung fu teacher kicked him out.
    You said one of his teacher said he didn't finish a specific form.


    Yet, you provided no links, emails, phone numbers, documents, forum links, or videos to prove your allegations.

    To take your words at face value I must take his two supporters at face value.
    Oh and ignore the nutrider post above.
  9. chingythingy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166

    Posted On:
    5/24/2007 4:23pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yet, you provided no links, emails, phone numbers, documents, forum links, or videos to prove your allegations.

    To take your words at face value I must take his two supporters at face value.
    Oh and ignore the nutrider post above.
    The supporters didn't provide emails phone numbers, documents, forum links, or videos either.

    Now I'm sure whoever you take at face value is going to change the universe here, but I can form my own opinion from my experience, listening to miman, and listening to how the two supporters sound like something out of "Stepford Wives". And I can comment on it.

    Oh, and you're calling me a nutrider? So this means you study a martial art that is not nutriding? Please elaborate in detail.
    Last edited by chingythingy; 5/24/2007 8:16pm at .
  10. JustJoe is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5

    Posted On:
    5/25/2007 7:22am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Proof is in the Pudding

    I guess I am one of the Stepford wives. As I said, the only thing I know for fact is that he has taught martial arts in the same location for approximately 13 years, as I have lived near there for quite a while. He has had several high ranking students from other arts, Sensei Hurtsellers is one that tested with me, and I believe you can find his web page. Still, the question of Sifu Brown's credentials are hard to verify; credentials in martial arts, and linage of the art are very hard to verify. I had heard that itís hard to identify one form of Tíai Chi because it changes with the area of China that practiced it. Plus not everyone is computer literate enough to have a website.

    I was asked what the ďmessageĒ of the dojo is. I have only been a student for four years, so Iíll sum up my understanding. Martial arts develop a lot of things, not just fighting skills. It helps your focus by working on complicated movement, not to mention perfecting the simple techniques. It develops partner skills, because you need to control yourself when you are doing dangerous things with partners. It develops your will; I never would have expected to make it through the 40 times of repeating form with someone scowling at me, when I walked in the door, but I did a little over a year ago. It develops a good world view (this one is my opinion) because on a daily basis I can go in and see how the world would be if people treated everyone with respect (while I admit Sifu is gruff, most of the senior students find it a little funny at times, Iím not that close with Sifu so I have only heard polite tones directed at me). I could go on, but this is the start of the message as I understand it. Iím sure your own practice has the same lessons since I doubt anyone would stay in martial arts for just beating people up for long.

    As to Sifuís qualification as a teacher, the posters earlier suggested that his credentials are completely bogus (at least he lied about his teachers). I can not confirm nor deny that, all I can say is my experience in the dojo for four years has been positive. Iíve seen him spar with people really hard and pound them into the ground. I have sparred with him and gotten beaten rather lightly. Not because Iím a good martial artist, but because he kept it at my level, let me ďscore a pointĒ or two, but still kept pushing me hard. I am spending a lot of money there, and I donít have a lot, but from what Iíve experienced I think heís quite a teacher. Through hearsay, I have talked with many others who agree. These people (if their word can be believed) have practiced at other dojos, but that is just hearsay.

    If the previous poster knows three people that he threatened, I would suggest that they contact the police. That is a very serious accusation, and if the threat was immediate and well defined, itís against the law. The charge can be made of assault (yes a threat is considered assault as long as it meets certain criteria). At very least it would allow full disclosure of any issues or misunderstandings.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.