Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 2:24am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Formerly good schools...

So, the place I used to train, Franco Kickboxing & Pankration, was good 3 years ago when I started training there. They had a good program, had a number of pro fighters, 2-3 classes a week just for the pros or almost pros. It was a small gym, but there were at most 20 people in a class at a time, and the pro class was usually 7-8.

Fast forward to today. All the pros have either been kicked out or left for various reasons. I was the last guy from that group (one of the almost-pros) that's still around. There's now 35-40 people in each class. Basically the gym is small enough that with that many people in the class you can't do rope skipping. It works ok for the cardio kickboxing class, but for regular kickboxing it's crap because you can't do any footwork, and for grappling, we can barely do work from our knees, let alone starting standing. To have anything serious going on everyone has to stand around the sides of the gym, protecting the mirrors, and 2 people just compete.

He also runs a self defense class, standard crap you'd see anywhere. Shows them the moves, then goes into the office while everyone tries to practice this but is doing a completely fucked up version of it, there's **** like students saying "headbutt" instead of even going through the motions of it in a 5 step or whatever self defense sequence. Apparently he teaches the same stuff to the Vancouver Police Department - I sure hope that's not the case. The KB and Pankration classes are taught in a similar fashion. He shows a move, with no regard for the fact that Eddie Bravo's Godfather Sweep has no place being taught to people who don't even know how to shrimp yet, then goes into the office while I and 1 or 2 other guys have to help the rest of the class figure this out (in the aforementioned cramped space), which is pretty shitty when it's a move we're seeing for the first time as well and haven't figured it out. I don't feel good teaching something I don't understand well, and it's uncomfortable being in that position.

I also worked for him, doing office work and selling memberships. That also really bothered me as I can't really sell someone a membership when the place is that cramped, but then again it's my job and it's something I've gotta do. Glad I'm not doing that anymore, should have probably learned my lesson from doing sales before. Just isn't a job for me.

So where does this fall in this forum? It's not like it's really bullshido as it's an MMA gym and has produced succesful fighters, but at the same time, if I walked in there and watched a class and saw that happening I'd think it's a joke, based on the standards it set a few years ago.
    Last edited by migo; 11/16/2007 9:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 1:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu/Yang, Yu Wang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's too bad... if it doesn't qualify for a Bullshido investigation I'd think it would at least quality for a review. Depends on if it's promising something it no longer delivers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:08pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been cynical enough not to buy the "No Man Or Machine Will Train You Better" advertising - it's advertising after all. The business cards also say "World Class Training, Guaranteed". The latter at least I could buy when I started - the fighters' classes were fucking hard, and I improved and learned a lot from them. Now, there's nothing world class about the training. I'm working with a Hapkido club now that's better in some areas, but I wouldn't say their training is world class even.

I'm not seeing any review standards or guidelines on that page.
    Last edited by migo; 11/16/2007 9:21am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu/Yang, Yu Wang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Review guidelines are a little hidden: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48577