Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 3:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon

During punching, the 100/0 is what you want when you connect, but even if it's 80/20 you do want to "put your weight behind it" as much as possible. You don't' want to have too much up front as you get power from the shift forward - we practice this in my gym by punching with shoulders. This gets you familiar with the movement.

What's hard to see on TV is that even though they don't look 50/50, their up on their toes so there's always shifting going on.
    Which is it? 80/20? 100/0? 50/50? If there's always shifting it's not really possible for it to be 50/50 for more than an immeasurably small fraction of a section as it shifts through that phase as the weight moves from back weighted to front. Which hints at what I am getting at here:

You got some 'splainin to do.

Stand on one leg. Let me push you. Stand on two. Let me push you. Stand in a correct boxers stance (which is 50/50). Let me push you. Then tell me which is better balanced.

Yes. That's an excellent exercise. The only way I can 'splain it without writing a book here is to say that you hinted at it yourself above and that you could maybe look a bit into what Taiji guys like to call "double weighting". Balance dynamic. Planting firmly is not. You generally need to go onto one leg to throw someone. You generally need to lift up one leg to avoid being thrown. I am not very good at throwing or sweeping but if you do me the courtesy of planting both feet firmly on the ground I can generally pull it off.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 3:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo

A decent boxer can tag you from further away than you would suppose.

Just when you think your safe, there's a jab in your face.
    Best counter for a jab that I know is a push kick. It's like jabbing with your feet. :toothy10:

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Claus
    Why, that sounds suspiciously like fighting...
    :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:13pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleMeister
    And what would the result of that be, other than a pissed-off boxer?

Boxers don't have conditioned legs like Thai boxers, but they're not standing on toothpics held together with staples and duck tape either.

It's not like the boxer will explode if you kick him in the legs.

And unless you have two mile long legs, he's going to close the distance pretty fast anyways.
    Well, it's worked for me. I've fought pure boxers and the feeling of lightness and freedom that comes with "Gosh, he ain't gonna kick me!" makes the fight fun. When I've been able to kick them ("Sure, let's kick box.") many -- not all, not even most -- had issues with it. I know I've lasted longer against better fighters by exploiting that.

And from my one sentence, with tongue firmly in cheek, you extapolated about six incorrect things ... let me state this. Kick someone in the knees enough time, they will be having trouble using their footwork. Then you can punch them.

Look, did anyone ever hear what Marciano said about Ali, about how he would fight him? Essentially: hit him in the arms over and over, till he cannot hold his hands up for the pain. Then knock him out.

Obviously, without getting hit first. Because no fight is pre-scripted and all we ever really have is best guess and wild-ass tactics.

By the way, I TRAIN BOXING AND KICK-BOXING. 'Case you all forgot.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear, trust me to start a big **** off argument on my first day.

My point wasn't that boxing doesn't have some pretty serious defensive deficiencies as far as low kicks and grappling are concerned. Anyone would have trouble with muay thai low kicks, for example, if they hadn't trained for them, and I'm not disputing that at all. I just wanted to correct Omar's imo erroneous assumption that a boxer's stance is 'front weighted'.

A boxers stance is neutral, because when you're balanced it's easier to move around the ring quickly, sidestep, slip, bob and weave, punch/counterpunch with power, and absorb shots with a forearm/shoulder block (in my case it's more absorb with the chin and ass...). If you aren't balanced when you try any of these things, you're doing them at less than optimal efficiency (i.e. they'll suck), and your boxing is going to suffer.

Yes a boxer shifts his weight when punching, that along with violently pivoting the hips is how we generate power, but I thought all striking arts did this? How do you get any power at all behind your shots without putting at least some of your weight behind them?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 5:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well....watch a thaiboxers or K1 fighters stance for contrast. Most of the time they keep all the weight on the back leg. They are very cautious about putting that front leg down because every time you do that you give the other guy a chance to lay into it with a kick. So the front leg tends to bob.

The vast majority of striking styles keep the weight more towards the back in various ratios especially in CMA but you see it in Karate too. The most typical thing is about 60/40 back/front.

Keep your lead leg light.

In a full range or striking allowed enviroment, weight on the front leg gets you kicked.

In a throwing enviroment it gets you thrown.

The only people out there in the punching and kicking world who advocate a roughly 50/50 kind of distribution are the William Cheung WC guys and we all know how stellar their reputation is. . .

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 6:12pm

Style: XingYi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar,

In baji, do you want to keep a boxer at bay?

I think for me that gives him more of an advantage. I know in my xingyi its all about fightin up close and closing that gap.

How is it in baji?

Sorry to jack the thread.

Peace
    Tim

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 6:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In baji, do you want to keep a boxer at bay?

No.

I think for me that gives him more of an advantage. I know in my xingyi its all about fightin up close and closing that gap.

I don't really give a **** what range. I guess I want to smell what he had for lunch really. I already said I'm not afraid to box a boxer. It's dirty boxing anyways. Some boxers like to work the inside but from what I've seen on average I like to play a closer game than most boxers.

I've just been talking about leg kicks and teeps and keeping the range because the topic was about ways to exploit a boxers theoretical weaknesses. Personally, I'm confident enough in my own abilities to match strengths. Not every boxer in the world is Mike Tyson and the thought of punching it out with just "some boxer" chosen at random from all the boxing gyms in the world does not set me quaking in my boots.

In Baji, it's not all about closing that gap though either . . . although that is a pretty big part of most of it. I don't like to think about "closing the gap" though. It sounds like I have to use some kind of interemediate technique to cross the distance so I can hit him for real. The philosophy is more about just hitting him "for real" from much farther away than most people would think you can. That's part of what is meant by the "song", "long is hidden withing short".

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112