Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:30am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Eggnog,

I threw that in because I was curious but it doesn't really change my point. Regardless of their solid grappling background in an MMA context I don't think
    Liddell, Arlovski or Franklin for that matter are really "grapplers" in the way we used to sort fighters out into one of two categories. I can't remember having watched any MatT Hughs fights. I probably have but he didn't make an impression. Nowadays you have to be able to do it all but honestly, what does Liddell use wrestling for other than standing back up again after he's been taken down?

Even without the ref stand ups, I'd say that the days of lay and pray are long gone. When was the last time you saw a fight that would have looked like Royce/Shamrock even without the rule changes? My favorite, maybe one of the most brilliant MMA fights EVA! was Fedor/Minotauro. Two world class grapplers but the fight was still decided mainly on Fedors ability to punch. And think about how many times Fedor stood up like it was nothing. I understand that it is only because he is a Sambo God among men that he even could do stuff like shrugging off Minotauros Kimuras like a shot of cheap whiskey. But he still won by punching Minotauro.

Now getting back to the original argument....punching effectively from MINOTAURO'S GUARD is "just flailing"? puh-lease.

Oh yeah..and we all know what a ripped to the max roid freak Fedor is....*rolls eyes*
    I wasn't attempting to contradict you, just trying to provide you with information that you did not seem to have. I agree with your arguments wholeheartedly.

And Fedor is also a world class Judoka, not just a world class sambo player. He took up boxing in 2000, I believe, which is what makes his striking ability so amazing to me. And he and Minotauro did have some awesome matches. Fedor's offense from inside the guard is staggering.

I've always read that a lot of the looping overhands MMAists seem to be so fond of throwing are adapted from Russian-style boxing. I think there may have even been a thread about it somewhere on bullshido in the last 6 or 8 months.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/20/2005 2:33am at .

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 2:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There will always be guys who are better at one than the other. For example, guys like Crocop and Mark Hunt, coming from striking backgrounds and starting to learn grappling. But nowadays, even more so in the future, most MMA fighters are pretty well rounded. Guys like me who want to fight and started learning both games at the same time.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 5:49pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe no one has gone apeshit over this little piece of brilliance:

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMoron
    People like sensationalism, other's misery and gratutious idiocy. It's makes their miserable lives seem less drastic. Mankind has proven that ****t ever since forever.

People who fight for the sake of fighting are sadist and/or masochists, whether on a minimal level, moderate level or extreme one. It takes all kinds to move the world, I guess. Imagine if all you could do in life was fight for a living. That's pretty wack. Hurting and getting hurt for what amounts to peanuts compared to other pro sports; just pitiful. It goes beyond that though. These fools love to fight because they've conditioned their brains for it. They are just wired in a weird way. They also have a high threshold for excitement; they are often adrenaline junkies and thrill seekers just like fools who base jump and ****tt. It's not like most of those cats are rocket scientists anyway (Rich Franklin not included). Most of them are bully types and just like high school wrestlers (which most of them were) they have a problem with self-loathing or low self-esteem or controlling others through aggression. Many of them probably come from very abusive -OR- overly permissive backgrounds (i.e.: sociopathic). Without a fully developed conscience beating on someone who is not a real enemy is a lot easier.

Okay so the proper response to all this is if you can't fight but call yourself a martial artist then you need to rethink your classification. In that instance "Martial Wanna-be" or "Martial Novice" would be more appropriate. Conversely, a lot of the MMAs types are martial artists gone astray; Bushi Matsumura wrote about them in the 1800's. They nedd validation outside of themselves. It's called the "Bujutsu of Nominals". Look for Machimura's "Buccho Ikko" and peep a real martial artists assessment of the state of MAs as they always will be.

Happy Holidays to those who celebrate them!!!!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 6:18pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other words, "I got beat up all the time and am forever stuck in that period mentally because I never did anything about it."
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha. I guess my brain put those kinds of stupid rants on auto ignore.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 10:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, there were only a handful of truely horrible posts in that thread. Most seemed a little off but not completely stupifying.

Compared to having to convince people they don't have magic powers it just seems tame.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 12:38am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am but a simple MMA caveman and these large words confuse and annoy me.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moleculo; 12/21/2005 12:42am at .

Stallowned!

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 4:34pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is considered "good" by their standards? I'm getting a migraine reading this slack of ****. I want to break my foot off in half their asses.

I mean, wtf, seriously. Some of these kiddies are playing the "omg bjj and mma=TEH DARK SIDE" crap.

People like sensationalism, other's misery and gratutious idiocy. It's makes their miserable lives seem less drastic. Mankind has proven that ****t ever since forever.

People who fight for the sake of fighting are sadist and/or masochists, whether on a minimal level, moderate level or extreme one. It takes all kinds to move the world, I guess. Imagine if all you could do in life was fight for a living. That's pretty wack. Hurting and getting hurt for what amounts to peanuts compared to other pro sports; just pitiful. It goes beyond that though. These fools love to fight because they've conditioned their brains for it. They are just wired in a weird way. They also have a high threshold for excitement; they are often adrenaline junkies and thrill seekers just like fools who base jump and ****tt. It's not like most of those cats are rocket scientists anyway (Rich Franklin not included). Most of them are bully types and just like high school wrestlers (which most of them were) they have a problem with self-loathing or low self-esteem or controlling others through aggression. Many of them probably come from very abusive -OR- overly permissive backgrounds (i.e.: sociopathic). Without a fully developed conscience beating on someone who is not a real enemy is a lot easier.

Okay so the proper response to all this is if you can't fight but call yourself a martial artist then you need to rethink your classification. In that instance "Martial Wanna-be" or "Martial Novice" would be more appropriate. Conversely, a lot of the MMAs types are martial artists gone astray; Bushi Matsumura wrote about them in the 1800's. They nedd validation outside of themselves. It's called the "Bujutsu of Nominals". Look for Machimura's "Buccho Ikko" and peep a real martial artists assessment of the state of MAs as they always will be.

Happy Holidays to those who celebrate them!!!!
    LOL!

*Edit: oops, already posted in here, but I highlighted my fave parts.
    Last edited by Te(V)plar; 12/21/2005 4:38pm at .

Old School DM

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bushi Matsumura wrote about them in the 1800's. They nedd validation outside of themselves. It's called the "Bujutsu of Nominals".

NOMINAL

adj.
    Of, resembling, relating to, or consisting of a name or names.
    Assigned to or bearing a person's name: nominal shares.
    Existing in name only.

Philosophy. Of or relating to nominalism.

Insignificantly small; trifling: a nominal sum.

Business.
    Of, relating to, or being the amount or face value of a sum of money or a stock certificate, for example, and not the purchasing power or market value.

Of, relating to, or being the rate of interest or return without adjustment for compounding or inflation.

Grammar. Of or relating to a noun or word group that functions as a noun.

Aerospace & Engineering. According to plan or design: a nominal flight check.

n. Grammar
    A word or group of words functioning as a noun.
    NOMINALISM
    n. Philosophy
    The doctrine holding that abstract concepts, general terms, or universals have no independent existence but exist only as names.
    Soooooo, what the **** is the Bujutsu of Nominals?

Can I please please please put that in my style field?

:occasion1
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 6:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm extemely unhappy that this jobber has dragged Bushi Matsumura into his rants.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast