Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No Gi Judo Throw (Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi)

It's a common misconception that Judo throws only work against an opponent wearing a gi (or jacket). This isn't even close to accurate. I won't go so far as to say that any Judo throw could work without a gi (although I think that may be true with enough practice), but I will say that the majority of them will.

Some throws are actually more effective without a gi. A gi is used as much for defense when standing as it is for attacking. Remove the gi, and it becomes harder to defend against most throws.

Most throws executed without a gi, require better timing and kuzushi (off-balancing) than throws with a gi. So, the key is practice.

When I wrestled, I had a lot of success with Koshi-Guruma, O-Goshi, De Ashi Harai, Okuri Ashi Harai, and Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi. A fellow judoka I wrestled with had a very effective O Soto Gari. And these techniques were all effective against trained wrestlers, not some un-trained muscle head in a parking lot.

I thought some of you might like to see an excellent execution of a no gi Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi.

http://bullshido.net/gallery/data/50...1101402652.gif
    Last edited by lawdog; 12/18/2005 5:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 6:07pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen Judo throws work more then a couple times without a gi, including pride and UFC.

I think nowadays people don't think that anymore, if they do there is only one way to find out :new_vampv

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't that a wrestling match? If they don't train in judo then you cant really call it a Judo technique. Or can you?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 6:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Isn't that a wrestling match? If they don't train in judo then you cant really call it a Judo technique. Or can you?
    Yes, it's a judo technique, not a wrestling technique.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! That was dope. Thanks for the link.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 3:55am

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karo Parisyan has some DVD's out on judo in MMA found here. My favorte aginst wrestlers was o-goish from a head lock hold.

You ever hurt a wrestler with a thow? For example in the .gif you posted you see the ukie reach for the ground to break his fall. First time I thew a girl in the Ju Jitsu class she screamed :5eek: it was great. She was not expecting it at all.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone who grapples should have sasae tsuri komi ashi in there arsenal. It's one of my go-to throws because it's incredibly easy, it works well as a combination, it works well as a counter, it works going left or going right, and it has a high success rate.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 9:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    Anyone who grapples should have sasae tsuri komi ashi in there arsenal. It's one of my go-to throws because it's incredibly easy, it works well as a combination, it works well as a counter, it works going left or going right, and it has a high success rate.
    .....and it requires less comittment than many other throws. Always a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryan
    You ever hurt a wrestler with a thow? For example in the .gif you posted you see the ukie reach for the ground to break his fall. First time I thew a girl in the Ju Jitsu class she screamed it was great. She was not expecting it at all.
    Wrestlers don't train breakfalls and are not used to high amplitude throws, so the potential is certainly there.

I never injured a wrestler using high amplitude judo throws, but I stunned them a few times. That was the best thing about Koshi Guruma. Koshi Guruma is a high amplitude throw that a wrestler is not expecting, and when throwing it I would come down with my full weight right on top of my opponent's chest, stunning and sometimes knocking the wind out of them. It made getting the pin much easier.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 10:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, who is it in the gif? you?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Awesome, who is it in the gif? you?
    Me? Hell no....I wish!

I'm not positive, but I think it's Bruce Baumgartner.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast