Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man if there is one thing that won't get you in shape, it's wing chun training
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 7:56pm

Style: Kitu ryu jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hence my wanting to train outside Wing Chun. I know that Wing Chun is pretty much useless for muscle and strength building.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:10pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And it's useless for fighting, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:30pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have BJJ near you, try out a few classes at the very least. I think that it is impossible that you will perfer wing chun. BJJ is just the most fun of any sport on the planet. And BJJ alone will be a great workout for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (In refference to AthleticGirl): This is not a WC bashing thread, I simply wanted help on getting initial strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikidoDeadlines
    If you have BJJ near you, try out a few classes at the very least. I think that it is impossible that you will perfer wing chun. BJJ is just the most fun of any sport on the planet. And BJJ alone will be a great workout for you.
    I really want to, but my parents said that taking 2 classes a week of WC would be enough. Maybe I can drop one of the 2 sessions of WC and take BJJ on that night.

I'll see how it goes.

I really like the look of BJJ stuff too.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by postgrep
    I started wing chun about 1 month ago, doing 2 sessions a week.

Since then I have tried to improve my physical strength, but seeing as I have done no real sport until I started wing chun a month ago, I'm in fairly bad nerd shape (I am a computer nerd).

I have 2 dumbbells I lift, only 3kg though, and I do 20 lifts a day, each of normal lifting, reverse and outside to in. I also do 20 situps and 15 pushups a day on my knees, because I am in poor shape, and can't lift my own weight well.

What should I do to improve this and gain strength? Do I simply keep lifting until I have more strength, or do more and heavier weights?

I really need to lose my chubby(ish) figure :(.

I already did a forum search too, and I couldn't find anything relevant.
    Before you engage in a physical program, you also need to develop the discipline to stick to it. It's easy for anyone new to join a gym and go a it like crazy. Then they get burned out and frustrated... back to square one.

To successfully get into a fitness program that is effective for you AND that it's of your liking, you need to alter a few things in your diet, the way you function at work, and to be aware that you can also work from home effectively.

work for life: don't work out just to change your shape. Work out to attain a healthy living. Work out to develop a mental discipline. Work out to make it a permanent part of your lifestyle.

stretch at work: I also work as a computer nerd, and I know that being in front of a PC with my ass glued on the chair all day sucks. Every 30 minutes or so, I get up, try to move my shoulders and neck, arch my back, and reach to touch my feet. If you type a lot, massage your hands, and move your fingers and wrists (to avoid nasty things like carpal tunnel or tendonitis).

eat well: dump the white bread if you eat that. Try to eat whole wheat bread/flat bread. Get Kashi Go/Lean cereal and mix it with yogurt as a healthy breakfast every other day. Eat fruits, yogurt, drink plenty of water. Take your vitamins. Make sure you get enough fiber.

If you eat out A LOT, stop it. Make your own food and take it to work, in small rations. If you eat 3 times a day, try to split it to 4, then 5. Somedays you will be able to, some days you won't. As long as you try on a consistent basis, you will see the benefits. And remember to ditch white bread. That **** is evil.

if you smoke, drop that **** off: I don't think I need to say more on that subject, do I? :violent1:

do pushups at home like crazy: If you can't do push-ups with your legs straight and on your toes, then do them with your knees on the floor. Don't worry about counting how many you can do, just do a few sets until failure (until you can't do no more). It will get you accostumed physically and mentally.. In fact, for starters, do two sets in the morning and two at night until failure. Don't worry the count. Don't worry if the # of reps that you can do seem little. Just do that diligently every morning and every night, mondays through fridays, and you'll see the changes... physically and mentally.

run or walk: if you have never run or walked, then do that. Start slow, maybe a few blocks once or twice a week. Don't go overboard to avoid shin splins. If you don't like running/walking, then buy a jump rope. Jump with starting a few minutes, take a break in between. Get yourself accostumed to that type of cardio activity. Better yet, do both, one day run a few blocks, and another day jump the rope for a few minutes once a week. As time passes by, increase the number of blocks you run and minutes you jump the rope. You'll be surprised how fast you improve on those exercises.

give yoga a try: I'm a yoga advocate, so I tend to always suggest people to do yoga. It helps you build a strong core, abs and lower back, and increase your flexibility and strenght. I'd suggest you buy a yoga DVD to use it at home. I'd recommend Karen Voigh's "Yoga & Sculpting (2002)" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130. It's challenging enough for n00bs, but doable at the same time. You don't need to do the entire program. Just do, say 10 minutes in the morning, then later 15, and so on.

join a gym: don't join fiffy-fuhfuh gyms like LA Fitness or Ballys. Not only they have expensive contracts, but the entire atmosphere is more about seen-and-be-seen. Join goldgyms (where I go) or worlds gym, or any small gym. Even if you only go once a week, it's something. Don't overtrain by going everyday. Go slow at first, once or twice a week, then a day more, so on and so on.

You don't want to kill yourself, but you do want to become disciplined in what you do. Change takes time when it comes to changing your body or becoming healthier/stronger. But it's not unreachable rocket science or black magic, either. Some of the suggestions I made may work better for some than for others, BUT they should give you an idea where to start :qcheerlea

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to your actual question, before this thread got totally derailed, if you can't do pull-ups, there are several ways to work up to them. The simplest is to perform lots of negative (eccentric) pull-ups: jump up to the bar (or whatever you're using) into the finishing position, had you actually done a pull-up. Then, SLOWLY lower yourself back to the start, contracting your muscles as much as possible throughout the movement. Aim for 5-10 seconds per negative. The second method is to get a length of rope and wrap it around a pole, tree, or some other sturdy object such that you will be holding one end of the rope in each hand. Standing in place, lean backward until your arms reach full extension (you should be supporting most of your bodyweight via the rope), and then pull, or "row" yourself back upright. This doesn't really imitate the pull-up motion, but it will help to strengthen the large muscles of your back, which are necessary to the pull-up, as well as keeping your musculature balanced, as too many push-ups without corresponding pulling exercises will lead to significant strength imbalances.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah, thanks elnyka, That's really good stuff.

I might go for a run now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    In regards to your actual question, before this thread got totally derailed, if you can't do pull-ups, there are several ways to work up to them. The simplest is to perform lots of negative (eccentric) pull-ups: jump up to the bar (or whatever you're using) into the finishing position, had you actually done a pull-up. Then, SLOWLY lower yourself back to the start, contracting your muscles as much as possible throughout the movement. Aim for 5-10 seconds per negative. The second method is to get a length of rope and wrap it around a pole, tree, or some other sturdy object such that you will be holding one end of the rope in each hand. Standing in place, lean backward until your arms reach full extension (you should be supporting most of your bodyweight via the rope), and then pull, or "row" yourself back upright. This doesn't really imitate the pull-up motion, but it will help to strengthen the large muscles of your back, which are necessary to the pull-up, as well as keeping your musculature balanced, as too many push-ups without corresponding pulling exercises will lead to significant strength imbalances.
    Ah thats how. I tried doing a few before, and I can almost get my chin above the bar (tree branch in my case). I'll have to try that lowering thing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast