Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 7:39am

Style: Kitu ryu jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any training advice for a kung fu n00b like me?

I started wing chun about 1 month ago, doing 2 sessions a week.

Since then I have tried to improve my physical strength, but seeing as I have done no real sport until I started wing chun a month ago, I'm in fairly bad nerd shape (I am a computer nerd).

I have 2 dumbbells I lift, only 3kg though, and I do 20 lifts a day, each of normal lifting, reverse and outside to in. I also do 20 situps and 15 pushups a day on my knees, because I am in poor shape, and can't lift my own weight well.

What should I do to improve this and gain strength? Do I simply keep lifting until I have more strength, or do more and heavier weights?

I really need to lose my chubby(ish) figure :(.

I already did a forum search too, and I couldn't find anything relevant.

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first read this
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5553

read through this forum
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23
    I guarantee you some where in the 57 pages this question has been asked, read the thread topics

When using the search function don't just type one word and then say I used the search function or see that 1000 threads came and decide your too lazy to read through them, if what you were looking for didn't come up, use a similar word or change the wording or add words to narrow your search. If your a computer neard you should know how to do this already, if not then I call BS on your nerdliness

ex:weight lifting could also be under: lifting, bodyweight exercise, specific exercise(bench press, deadlift, squat, shoulder press) workout, working out

if you can't think of other things use this http://www.m-w.com/ , the thesaurus part
    Last edited by EnaeS; 12/17/2005 8:53am at . Reason: spelling
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disqualify you.
    "Second place!, That's just a fancy word for losing."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 9:00am

Style: KickBoxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has troll written all over it but if this is a genuine question...

I'd be tempted to go and join a regular gym as well as take your classes. Get a good cardio/weight training program from a qualified instructor and watch what you eat and drink. Go as often as you can. The weight will fly off to start with then you will reach a plateau, stick with it and reap the rewards...

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    could be a troll

otoh i find the search function les usefull than people make it out to be, it sometimes grabs loads of superfluous posts just because they have the word your lokking for and sometimes that word has nothing to with what you want

ex: working out might grab a post like this "I just started dating this girl and i like her but she despises fighting and the relationship so far is just not working out"

i wish that the thread author could tag a post with keywords, unless that is how the tags already work, not sure

besides i give noobs a chance until they show their trolliness or stupidity
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disqualify you.
    "Second place!, That's just a fancy word for losing."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_jonson
    This has troll written all over it but if this is a genuine question...

I'd be tempted to go and join a regular gym as well as take your classes. Get a good cardio/weight training program from a qualified instructor and watch what you eat and drink. Go as often as you can. The weight will fly off to start with then you will reach a plateau, stick with it and reap the rewards...
    I am not a troll, I actually am serious.

I might try and setup a cardio/weight program I can do each day or after school, I need to get a bench press too.

Sorry if I didn't use the search function correctly, I will be more vigiliant next time.

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 5:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just remember: The only thing that will help you lose weight is straight calories. I used to way ~330-340 lbs and now I'm fit. I did it straight up by counting calories -- stay under 2,000 a day, but experiment with the exact number (you're probably best between 1500-1800 a day) and weight lift on top of that using heavy weights.

Pushups are going to be really, really hard for a while because girth will make it hard to breath when in the position for a long time, so try to suppliment with dips or presses.

In general
    Don't eat anything unless calories are labelled.
    Keep under 2000 calories per day.
    Lift weights.
    Drink lots of water, and nothing but water.
    Be patient.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your first goal should really be to develop a decent base of strength and conditioning; given what you've posted, I think weights might be superfluous at this point. Sit-ups and pushups are good, pull-ups (with both inward and outward-facing grips) are great, bodyweight squats are great...if you've been sitting on your ass for several years, anything that gets you off of said ass is great.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must do that then.

Also, how would I work towards pullups if I cannot do them?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by postgrep
    I started wing chun about 1 month ago, doing 2 sessions a week.
    Speaking of searches... Have you searched the board for wing chun?

I would if I were you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 7:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I have searched for it, looking at all the various Wing Chun flaming wars.

However, I am not going to let that get to me. I enjoy it and that's all I care about.

Incidentally, I have thought about taking BJJ along with wing chun to build strength and muscle, but I'm not sure about it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast