Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 10:19am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FYI

The term "Jitsu" translates into English as; truth, reality, sincerity, fidelity, kindness

It's meaning has to do with a set of skills and is not necessarily related to martial arts.

What a magician does is jitsu.

What a brain surgeon does is jitsu.

It is a set of skills that takes time to master. Other people can see what or understand what this person does, but they cannot do it themselves without years of training.

Those are my thoughts on Jitsu.

:XXjester:
    I know that is not what you meant.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2006 11:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I've trained with TJF for about 3 years so I'll give you my thoughts.

First, we aren't a competitive style (in Canada, we don't have the Judo/Atemi nationals). This generally means that the people who stick around are pretty laid back and usually like to party after class (although this is usually dependant on the instructor and makeup of the club). The classes are fun and you shouldn't have anyone barking at you unless you run into the odd member who thinks he's in a Samurai re-enactment society.

You might luck out with an instructor who cross trains BJJ or Judo but I've only seen one.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet in this thread that we try really hard to be safe. We do a lot of breakfalling (which can be quite fun) and this leads to harder and harder throwing as you move up. Novices shouldn't be getting slammed by higher grades etc.

Our groundwork is generally horrible. The teach the basic arm submissions on the ground (kimura, armbar) and a few fancier ones that may only work in aikido. When doing groundwork, it's encouraged to go all out but that's just for warming up, not too many techniques are taught especially to lower belts.

The throwing is a little better. We spend a lot of time working on the throw techniques and always do left and right. This might be accompanied by a throw only V.

Striking is usually pretty bad but we do spend a bit of time learning some dangerous parts. I've never seen sparring. Eventually, you'll have to learn a bo kata, sword kata and nage no kata.

I would try out a class and tell the instructor what you like and don't. They teach for free and generally enjoy teaching stuff the students want to learn.

All of that being said, I've already started BJJ and am going to switch from jitsu to judo after June. TJF is almost entirely dead training, I'd say 90%. You'll encounter a bit of resistance in the cirlces/gauntlets and Vs but not much. Also, I am really skeptical about most of the aikido based stuff which always seems to require a wrist grab and some degree of complacency. I don't like that it claims self-defense against larger opponents yet has little or no groundwork (usually the "broken glass" excuse). I'm sick of cringing everytime I hear groin strike/eye gouge.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345