228340 Bullies, 4643 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 8:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what I meant was it is all well and good saying 'My style has gun disarms, twirling back kicks and a way to defeat muay thai guys using only our earlobes' but none of that means anything unless your training methodology is up to scratch.

But you knew that already, right?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 8:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    Well what I meant was it is all well and good saying 'My style has gun disarms, twirling back kicks and a way to defeat muay thai guys using only our earlobes' but none of that means anything unless your training methodology is up to scratch.

But you knew that already, right?

You forgot chi blasts and flying penis attackes.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 8:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    One thing that I find interesting, and I don't know if this was particular to this one teacher I had or to more tradtional JJ, was that all throws he taight me were proceeded by preassure point strikes. And I don't mean Dim Mak toucher. But things like every shoulder through was proceeded by a a quick shot to the solar-plexus with the effect that it always made your body jerk forward thus breaking your balance in the direction of the throw. Also hooking punches were blocked with a two handed technique that landed a chop on the persons bicep that sent a shock threw the arm followed by a chop to the base of the neck that sent a shock through the body before doing a O Soto Gari through.

So it seems to me besides weapons that traditional JJ uses more kicks and punches to initiate throws than BJJ. And that the goal in JJJ is to throw the person whil remaining standing rather than go to the ground right away, which I think is a better aim in a self defense system than going right away to the ground.

Again not a BJJ expert so what do people think. Is this accurate or wrong
    The first part sounds like normal everyday atemi, not necessarily pressure points. Striking to provoke kuzushi = atemi = normal. Where people choose to hit and with what technique can vary :P .

And yes, most JJJ styles will have ground grappling as the "last way out" which is why BJJ it an excellent addition for any JJka.

And supercrap.. I know, but it's christmas and that always brings out the bastard in me :new_astha
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 8:39am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when I did JJJ it was almost all full resistance ground fighting.
    We probably spent about 30-45 minutes rolling each day (per individual, not as a whole class.)

Some striking, some throws, no wristlocks.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 8:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like what I train. As mentioned, this varies GREATLY from style to style.
    More human than human is our motto.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Difference in training intensity and quality aside for a minute. It seems to me that BJJ' sucess in gorund fighting and competition leads to some BJJ practioners spending less time on the stand up.

Whish is fine as long as you are doing either pur grappling or taking someone down who has no take down defense.

as MMA evolves however we are now starting to see a swing in competiton back to stirkers who have worked hard on their takedown defense. Even though they go to the ground they don't get caught in submissions and quickly bring it back up to theri feet. Chuck Liddle for example. So I would think JJ that looks to keep it standing is a more realistic self defense JJ to train in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe

as MMA evolves however we are now starting to see a swing in competiton back to stirkers who have worked hard on their takedown defense. Even though they go to the ground they don't get caught in submissions and quickly bring it back up to theri feet. Chuck Liddle for example. So I would think JJ that looks to keep it standing is a more realistic self defense JJ to train in.
    Maybe, if by "JJ that looks to keep it standing" you mean training in wrestling and kick boxing like Chuck Liddell.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 12:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is the Jedi.

BJJ is the Sith.

JJJ is the Ewoks.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate this thread and would be throwing out neg reps like mad if I could.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In most cases. But let's remember that training hardcore full contact wristlock-sparring isn't going to make you a good fighter.
    -It will if you have any sense. It will show that the wrist locky **** is worthless...
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast