Posted On:
    12/15/2005 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skepti-Claus
    Pajamas and shoes?
    Well, I guess he lives in a trailer and his floor is sticky, so he always wears his shoes. Or maybe he's preparing for the ninja attack on the way to get the morning paper!
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 9:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like more pictures/explanation between frame 2 and 3.

How is he getting to positon 3? just falling over?

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when you drop to your back you kinda just hang on and the guy follows you down
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disqualify you.
    "Second place!, That's just a fancy word for losing."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 9:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once saw a guy win a competition combat with something like that, pretty sneaky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 9:40am

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I would like more pictures/explanation between frame 2 and 3.

How is he getting to positon 3? just falling over?
    Additionally, if you are going against someone with a wrestling background, you just set yourself up for a single leg or sweep. and if you go to your back in that position they will then be in side mount.

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 10:57am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a white belt-level technique where I train. We had one of our black belts win a sub grappling match on an MMA card with this move in 7 seconds. That was the time it took him to get across the ring and clench with the guy.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2005 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NutCracker
    I like it and this is exactly what my school is doing and looking for. Looking for basic takedown and counters I went to Borders yesterday and looked at all the JJ and many of the other ma books and ended up just buying Grappling Mag because it had several counters to single leg, with pics. We've been doing a lot of takedowns and stuff like going to the back for chokes and subs, but while a couple bbs here have lots of wrestling experience, no one has JJ or BJJ training (Karate, Judo - clinching and throwing ok, but no newaza to speak of, Kempo, TKD are well covered).

In learning and teaching the basic takedowns, counters and subs, the only book that had anything useful was a Lions Den one, and it didn't have much. At our level we don't need Machodo's BJJ Vol 1, a hundred or so techinques for fighting out of the guard. We need the JJ equivalent of the Kyokushin combo left jab, left front kick, right reverse punch - the basic stuff that has high returns against the usual idiot attacker, not in sub competition. (I sure wish we had a BJJ school closer than Ogden, and Prof Emperado's Kajukenbo was here instead of Honolulu - their practical application attitude has lots of counters that ended with some guys knee on my face while he did a cross body arm bar).
    I know you're in hawaii, but I'm not sure where. Aren't there any judo schools close to you? I'm sure you could get a judo instructor to hold a class at your dojo once or twice a week, even if it's just newaza you're interested in. Judo newaza should be more than adequate for what you're looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 2:07am

Style: SubG, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave showed us this move and just called it a flying arm bar. I guess the subjectiveness of flying depends on the acrobatic skills of the person performing this move. I tried this move without fully understanding what went into it, and landed squarely on my back. Ouch. But now that I understand it better (not because of this thread), I want to give it another try. One of the guys at my gym can do it, and he barely does any grappling, ever. Oh yeah, and always try it on someone bigger if you can. We also learned flying heel hook and flying triangle that day, but the flying heel hook is the only one I can do.

This move is also demonstrated in Carlos Flete & Carricarte's Standing Armbars video. They also have a cross grip variation that works with gi's.
    Last edited by Vulgar; 12/17/2005 2:09am at .

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 2:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I can only do the flying heel hook too... I like this one though, it's like I could fake a flying armbar or something. I'll have to try it.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 3:23am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't consider this technique **as shown** as a high percentage move. The notion you can just pull someone down as depicted from frame 2 to frame 3 is actually pretty difficult against anybody with a decent base or any grappling experience. There is also way too much transition time from standing to the ground with the knee just tucked into the hip like that. (Note: This is not a flying armbar).

This technique actually works alot better as a counter to a failed hip throw (insert judo name here) where your opponent is actually taking you to the ground. The difference being they are putting themselves into this position as opposed to you trying to force them into it.

Try it this way... Commit to the hip throw by turning into it so that you are at a 90 degree angle and leave yourself noticeably off balance to the point they would almost have to hold you up. The most natural counter at this point is for your opponent to let gravity take it's course following you to the ground. Make sure you have the arm with a solid grip and are still tight to the opponent (so they just don't dump you) and as you come down tuck the knee in solid as shown in pic 3 and follow the rest. If you sacrifice yourself like this be sure not to overcommit to the fake throw as he can take your back.

Tough to describe but works good if your fast and have solid technique. Not sure it would work for a noob but worth a try I suppose. Balance and timing are key.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast