Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finally get to start training again...how it affects lifting?

Ok, lil background.

I got about a year of instruction in boxing/MT before I left the school (fell apart, no time, sun was in my eyes, etc). I spent my off time doing a lot of heavy lifting and conditioning (training like a fighter =P). Well, after a long ass break (6 months or so), I'm finally gonna get back into training. Being the idiot that I am, and since I only really have a month to do this, I'm going to attempt to attend every training session I can, which boils down to about an average of 2-3 hours of MA training a day (Boxing, MT, and BJJ). My question is, how should I shape my lifting around this? Will this much MA training mean my muscles won't get any rest?

I follow a 3 day push/pull split (Pull/Push/Legs), and was planning on doing this all on the weekends (Friday-Sunday) when there is only 1 or 2 classes offered, but this means that my rest days would be my heaviest MA training days (3 or so hours).

Any ideas? Do I need to just take a break from lifting if I'm doing this much? All advice appreciated.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all about what you can take, but that sounds like a sure-fired way to overtrain to me.

For me it did come down to box more or lift more and I chose to box. I do 2-3 hours of boxing 5 days a week in the evening, run twice a week in the AM, and I lift hard (full body, not to failure) on sunday morning and go a bit easy on monday night - focus on form and footwork. Every fourth sunday I take off to rest.

That's not as much as you're planning since I take Sat off and I still flirt with over training.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a difficult puzzle to solve, especially since you're just starting back and therefore your muscles will be working harder than they would if your technique were better.

I don't really have any answers, it's something you'll have to figure out for yourself based on your own unique situation. However, I'm pretty sure at the very least you'll need to modify that push/pull split you're doing. The only way I was ever able to really make it all work was doing a full body workout twice a week. But, my priorities were always fighting and lifting was to supplement that.

If it were the other way around, I would probably have limited MA to twice a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 7:32pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went through this myself recently. Make sure you have at least 1-2 days rest a week just to let your muscles recover. I'd cut back on the lifting considerably if you're doing that much MA training...like lifting 2-3 days a week.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This stuff makes my brain hurt when I try plan out a program where I won't overtrain...I'm getting better at it, but I'm no expert. Maybe what I'd suggest is, if you're only going to be--for whatever reason--going so hardcore at MA for a month, push the training back to one day of maintenance. It's kind of like that month of MA is your 'season' and in most sports, during the playing season, it's time to concentrate on whatever youre playing.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 12:27pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To quote Ronin, "more training does not equal better training."

If you are going to train MA 2-3 hours a day, don't lift. Don't bother. You WILL overtrain. If you want to keep lifting, then do less MA. Lift 2X a week, and train MA for 2-3 times a week. That schedule alone can lead to overtraining, but you are young nad in good shape, so I suspect you can handle it.

Seriously, volume does not equal quality. It is hard to believe when you are young, but it's true!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:16pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you only have one month?

Forget what everyone else said...keep your training volume the same but take steroids. But be sure to only take them for four weeks.

Seriously, this is the same problem I have. Either train MA hardcore, or the weights hardcore. What I do know (or attempt to) is rotate on week with heavier weights, and the next week with more MA training. Also, cutting back on the beer for the next four weeks should help in recovery, although I have no idea why training would be more important than beer.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have on month because I'm home for Christmas break, meaning I have access to a car and no school work to bug me.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Oh, and QF, I don't drink =P
    Last edited by Emevas; 12/20/2005 1:33pm at .
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:26pm

Style: Hwardo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say you should take a break from lifting, if not, at least do a moderate amount of lifting. More than anything else, your body needs rest.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 1:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way to restate the opinions of everyone else Devildog =P
    "Emevas,