Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, the last post was 8 months ago. I think he probably solved his glove problem by now.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2006 2:11pm

Style: no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha actually i found a no-gi BJJ club and have been content with that. i've sparred with 4-6oz gloves there at 50% and didn't mind it at all, but the head contact was very limited

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 3:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun, Thai.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help choose mma gloves plz

Hi all,

I've done a search on mma gloves and the combat sports gloves seem to be highly recommended.

My friends and I want to do harder full contact sparring including takedowns and want to buy some grappling gloves which offer very good cushioning because we are not using headgears.

I live in Hong Kong and there doesn't seem to be any shops selling these. I have found some twins grappling gloves which are sort of OK.

I am wondering are the cushioning of the combat sports gloves really similar to 16 oz gloves? Also does anyone know if these gloves are far better than the twins in terms of cushioning?

Basically is it worth the trouble of getting these gloves through mail order...

Any comments will be appreciated.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 4:21am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mma-type gloves, which are generally in the 4 oz. range,
    protect your hands, not the other guys' head.

`~/

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 6:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I merged a bunch of older threads to create this one so make sure you check the date on the post to which you are responding.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:27pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess this is the place to ask about gloves now, so:

I'm in the market for some boxing heavy bag gloves that provide optimal hand protection, prefferably in the 12-14oz range. Hand protection is extremely important to me as I rely a great deal on my hands for work. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:45pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    I guess this is the place to ask about gloves now, so:

I'm in the market for some boxing heavy bag gloves that provide optimal hand protection, prefferably in the 12-14oz range. Hand protection is extremely important to me as I rely a great deal on my hands for work. Thanks.
    Aries Fight Gear has some 16oz gloves with hard padding on clearance.

I was using their fight gloves for San Shou.. I liked them a lot. We had a pair of Title gloves that I used once or twice, but I liked the ease of the velcro strap.

You know about handwraps too, right?

(radio edit)Title also has some Everlast muay thai gloves on sale... synthetic leather, so I could live without them, but hey, they'll do the trick...
    Last edited by isol8d; 10/12/2006 1:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:18pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    Aries Fight Gear has some 16oz gloves with hard padding on clearance.

I was using their fight gloves for San Shou.. I liked them a lot. We had a pair of Title gloves that I used once or twice, but I liked the ease of the velcro strap.

You know about handwraps too, right?

(radio edit)Title also has some Everlast muay thai gloves on sale... synthetic leather, so I could live without them, but hey, they'll do the trick...
    Thanks, I'll look into those. I know about handwraps and I tend to use a ribbon pattern on the knuckles for extra cushioning and support. Still even doing that my hands (well, my left mostly) hurt a little bit. I heard Windy makes a great glove any info on them? Thanks again.

Posted On:
    10/27/2006 9:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody seems to like the CSI mma training gloves but does anyone have an opinion of the CSI mma "cage" gloves? I like the look of them but I really don't know anyone with experience with them.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    Everybody seems to like the CSI mma training gloves but does anyone have an opinion of the CSI mma "cage" gloves? I like the look of them but I really don't know anyone with experience with them.
    I've got a pair; so does one of my (former) students.

The biggest con is that I had to fix stitching on the velcro for both pairs.

Otherwise, I like them.

The pros are that they're lighter than the red training gloves and I like the freedom of loopless. Another con is that it's easier for opponents to hook the glove with their fingers.

The cage gloves also have a sturdier wrist strap. Less wraps (1 1/2 vs 2), but wider and with a cloth backing. A bit more comfortable, but also a bit more restrictive.

Don't notice much difference in practice, though. Generally, in training, if I want to focus on standup, I put on the 6 oz training gloves (with the white face); if grappling, I wear the cage gloves. The red mma training gloves are a good compromise, if you're only going to get one pair.
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast