Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/22/2010 10:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 94m View Post
    Well, at my college there is no JKD, so I'm in the MMA club, we do regular sessions of sparring every friday, I want something trainable, and spar safe w/o having to buy two different types of gloves.
    good job I asked then.
    I have a set of boxing gloves and the sparring style mma gloves which I have always known as shoot boxing gloves. I won't even look at a set of proper MMA style five ounce jobs untill I am going to fight. (and that is a serious maby some time at the end of next year).

for sparring and focus mits the shoot gloves work fine but for heavy bag I use the boxing gloves because the shoot gloves just feel a bit off on a heavy bag. I will validate that point by also saying I only buy cheap gloves.

So It sort of depends how much you use a heavy bag.
    Another option slightly cheaper than buying multi pairs of gloves is to get bag mits to bridge the gap.

I dont't know about the brand here I use Punch but we are looking at a $15 set of gloves
    http://www.combatsports.com/Combat-S...ductinfo/TG4S/
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 9/22/2010 10:12am at .

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 4:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 94m View Post
    I wanted to find some gloves I could use for sparring and training, because I'm no expert I just spent the last hour going over this thread to find some decent gloves, but most of the links are dead. So would these be a good choice? http://www.combatsports.com/Combat-S...ductinfo/TG11/
    plus post anything you think would be better and cheaper. (although I just found a site that sells the same pair for 45 but I lost the link)
    While I was shopping around for some thai pads I came across these MMA gloves: http://southwesternmuaythai.com/glov.../grappling.htm

The prices look pretty good. I've used the Twins gloves before. They lasted over a year until they got too funky (my fault).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 8:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know the difference between the "Title Gel Intense Super Bag Gloves" and the "Title Gel World Super Bag Gloves?" The only thing I can see is that the elastic wrist band wraps around so it attaches on the under side. I'm going to be doing lots of heavy bag/pad work and would love to know if the "Intense" bit is just marketing or if there's a real difference for the extra $20.

Where is the best place to order Title products for customer service? Is there any glove I'm overlooking that is in the same price range($70 & $90 respectively) that's a lot better for western boxing training? Any hand-wraps people recommend specifically for good wrist support? Is there room/reason to get a gel knuckle guard underneath the wraps(I've heard those gloves are both pretty tight)? Should I worry that the "Intense "bag gloves don't have a size(just 14/16/18) while the "world" bag gloves have different ounces(14/16/18/20) and then M/L/X sizes in addition to ounces(for hand compartment).

As always, any input from you guys/gals is greatly appreciated!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 10:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don'y care for the gel wraps. Just the "mexican" style slightly elastic wraps. At as high a price range as you are considering there are tons of nice gloves.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I don'y care for the gel wraps. Just the "mexican" style slightly elastic wraps. At as high a price range as you are considering there are tons of nice gloves.
    Is using a gel knuckle guard good with the "mexican" style hand wraps? I heard some guys liked doing this.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/12/2011 3:21pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wrap with these:
    http://www.combatsports.com/Combat-S...ctinfo/WRAP+2/

I've had the same 2 pairs for going on 4 years. I use the ribbon method for extra knuckle padding. It's always been plenty for me.

Posted On:
    2/14/2011 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Figured I'd add a review of a glove I just got. The Combat Sports Thai style sparring glove in 16oz. http://www.combatsports.com/Combat-S...ductinfo/TG+1/

Pros:
    -Well padded (for your partner)
    -Quality workmanship/materials
    -Ventilated palm for faster drying.
    -Attached thumb (the hallmark of thai style gloves btw)

Cons:
    -Huge hand cavity (this might be a "pro" if you are a super heavyweight)
    -Not quite curved enough IMO
    -loose lining fabric

Overall I like these gloves but I preferred my Twins sparring gloves mostly because they fit my hands better.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 9:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a set of 16 oz Everlast Protex2 Training Gloves over a year ago. At the time they were $30 at Academy Sports & Outdoors, only $5 more than the regular Everlast trainers (and the same price as the normal ones at Hibbett Sports). Academy no longer sells these, though some of the stores sell the normal Protex, and online these look to be about $45 anywhere that has them.

Anyway, after I tried several sets on I decided to go ahead and buy the upscale glove. It just felt a lot more comfortable and the perceived impact on your hand when you hit a heavy bag was about half while still rocking the bag as much.

While I was out of training for a lot of last year due to illness it has still received several hard months worth of work. For a while it was hitting focus mitts five days a week, bags three, and thai pads two, in addition to the occasional sparring partner. The glove is still in good shape, with a little bit of fraying on the strap and nowhere else.

The glove fits surprisingly well, especially when my hands are wrapped. I have very small hands and finding a 16 oz. glove that fits in a brick and mortar store was astounding, especially when you consider that this is the L/XL. It still has a lot of room past the blade or outside of the hand, even in 180" wraps. I also have tiny wrists (seriously, even small gloves tend to need to be taped down around my wrists) and with wraps these gloves fit snugly and give pretty solid wrist support.

It does have one odd issue, namely that sometimes the thumb slips inside its housing and can cause some irritation, namely that painful feeling your thumb is trying to separate from your thumbnail.

There are a couple of things to pay attention to if you're using these for muay thai. One is that the glove is more than flexible enough for you to use for clinching. The other is that the strap and velcro are on the inside of the wrist and subsequently there is a chance that they can scratch your sparring partner. I haven't had a problem but the positioning is not optimal.

One more thing of note: everybody's gloves say their lining will keep the glove from reeking like week old gym socks soaked in sauerkraut but these gloves actually pull that off. I sweat into my gloves like I'm trying to drown my opponent but these things have never developed any odor other than the strange smell of synthetic leather (the outside still smells new, weirdly enough). Note that I keep them in a mesh bag when they are not in use.

For comparison I have used Revgear Leather Training Gloves in 12-16 oz sizes, Title Club Hook and Loop Training Gloves in 16 oz. and Title Pro Leather Training Gloves in 12 oz.

Pros:
    Surprisingly comfortable
    Solid construction
    Smells purty
    Very flexible
    Easy to put on/take off

Cons:
    Annoying thumb
    Potentially uncomfortable for clinching

Durability - 8/10
    Comfort - 8/10
    Flexibility - 10/10

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Figured I'd add a review of a glove I just got. The Combat Sports Thai style sparring glove in 16oz. http://www.combatsports.com/Combat-S...ductinfo/TG+1/

Pros:
    -Well padded (for your partner)
    -Quality workmanship/materials
    -Ventilated palm for faster drying.
    -Attached thumb (the hallmark of thai style gloves btw)

Cons:
    -Huge hand cavity (this might be a "pro" if you are a super heavyweight)
    -Not quite curved enough IMO
    -loose lining fabric

Overall I like these gloves but I preferred my Twins sparring gloves mostly because they fit my hands better.

Thanks for the review; I'd been mulling these gloves over.

A few questions:

Are they pleather? (Site doesn't say leather, so I'd assumed the worst. But you liked the workmanship/materials, and they do retail for $80 . . .)

I'm assuming that the "non-elastic wrap around closure" is velcro-ish?

As to the "huge hand cavity" -- Is it a matter of having the right length for your fingers, but lots of extra width/depth (say, for double wraps)? Do you feel you ordered the wrong size? What size are your Twins, and what size are these?

By "not quite curved enough" do you mean there's constant resistance to making a tight fist? (I've used gloves like that, and it's kind of annoying.)

How do you like them for bag work?

Also: STICKY PLZ!

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they are pleather but it is a very good fake. Not plasticy at all. The wrist wrap is heavily reinforced velcro. The huge hand cavity is about width. Even with cloth hand wraps on I have a lot of space in there. There are no sizes in either glove except weight both were 16oz.

Not quite curved enough is harder to explain. I do have to close my fist to make it tight but there isn't much resistance so that part isn't a big deal. To me its more about the front striking surface not being flat enough.

Try this crudest drawing ever:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24 LastLast