Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/31/2009 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    I've had one of these for about five years: http://www.everlast.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVPFH

It's perfect for western boxing; light, well-padded and durable. However, it's not very good for Thai boxing because the pad on the back doesn't extend far enough down the back of the head to stay secure when clinching. The headgear tends to pop right off when an opponent tries to grab the back of your head.

If you're not going to be doing any Thai-style clinching, I recommend it highly.
    What headgear would you recommend for that, out of curiosity?

Would any of you recommend Everlast's Pro lines? Like Protex3? Is it just their sub $100 gloves that are considered to be bad? I only ask because once again I can get their products at VC because I work at a sporting goods store. However, if pinching pennies means sacrificing longevity and support, I will not do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 11:04am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    What headgear would you recommend for that, out of curiosity?
    Any of the Thai brands, of course (Twins, Windy, Fairtex, Thaismai, King, Raja, etc). Also, Title Boxing and the Fightgear line from Ringside. I know people who use all of these brands, and they all work fine. I also know several guys who swear by Top Ten headgear.

I use Twins myself.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    Any of the Thai brands, of course (Twins, Windy, Fairtex, Thaismai, King, Raja, etc). Also, Title Boxing and the Fightgear line from Ringside. I know people who use all of these brands, and they all work fine. I also know several guys who swear by Top Ten headgear.

I use Twins myself.
    have used and would stand by the twins, windy and fairtex ones myself.

for best value i love the fight gear "bomber" model. $40 (roughly) and machine washable.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    1/05/2010 2:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you guys very much for the information. I am going to talk to my Sifu on Thursday about whether I should get Thai or Western style gloves and headgear, and I'm going to talk glove weights with him as well.

When I finally do order my equipment, I will let you guys know what I got and how it's faring for me as a first timer, as well as letting you know how its doing a few months from now.

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 1:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, so.. now I'm playing the waiting game. Curse you, Thailand customs!!

I ended up ordering a 12 oz. pair of Top King Ultimate gloves + a large set of their full face headgear since I was shipping it from Thailand anyway... might as well lump a few items in there to get my money's worth. Didn't have the money to go ahead and order shin guards, but I'm eyeballing the Hayabusa striking shin guards.

Anyway, I'm ALSO ordering a leather pair of Protex2 H&L bag gloves in 16oz. I figure the heavier glove I train with, the longer I can keep my hands up in a real fight or confrontation.. and I'll get some sweet she-hulk shoulders.

THEN I randomly decided I want to start getting in shape and training for Lei Tai competitions... and apparently you need 6-7oz open fingered gloves with the big striking pads on top for Lei Tai.. I guess like MMA Training Gloves? Anyway if anyone's got suggestions once again, I'm all ears.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    2/08/2010 3:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't remember if I posted this, but
    www.thunderfightgear.com
    Their pro-series gloves are amazing.
    Their Cardio gloves with synthetic leather are highly recommended too. They punch like 100 dollar gloves. Very durable.
    I think these guys are designed by Mster Stephen Barry of Boca Raton.
    I have a review of it on product review section.

Me and my club (UF Kickboxing) are not affiliated with them in any way, except we are regular purchasers of their gear.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 12:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if this has been posted yet but cagesidemma.com has top of the line gear for a cheap price. I currently have there mma training gloves http://www.cagesidemma.com/ncammasatrgl.html which i use for sparring. They hold up and are deffinately something to consider.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/09/2010 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    THEN I randomly decided I want to start getting in shape and training for Lei Tai competitions... and apparently you need 6-7oz open fingered gloves with the big striking pads on top for Lei Tai.. I guess like MMA Training Gloves? Anyway if anyone's got suggestions once again, I'm all ears.
    last time i cornered for someone on the baltimore lei tai, they let us use the combat sports mma-saftey gloves, but those assholes change their minds about the gloves/gear/rules every damn year, so it's no guarantee of anything.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 11:54am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking of buying Gloves with gel in them instead of Foam, will I still be getting the same kind of training (increasing punching power and speed e.t.c) while getting that good ol' nice gel protection?

please some one tell me, I could use extra hand protection for as much I like to hit the bag.

The gel apparently protects the hands more...in this true? will my knuckles still be getting good conditioning from hitting the bag e.t.c?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 12:04pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you talking about those little tiny gloves? Because I don't get the point of those. Your knuckles will get conditioned when you hit hard objects. Hard canvas bag works. Do pushups on your fists also. If you want hand protection go for real bag gloves.