Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 3:01pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    I train 2 hours a day, 6 days a week so unfortunately weights are a no-go. My technique gets better every week though, so maybe that will help. But back to the question, do glove sizes effect knock out probability? Logically it would but i did bullshido karate for years, so my logic skills probably aren't the greatest.
    Try reading the article I posted before dismissing the possibility of gaining weight.

Besides, you only need to lift for 30-45 minutes each time, 2-3 times a week. Chill out on a couple of those training sessions (maybe make it an hour and a half) and do a strength session mid-day with 3 exercises. "Weights" doesn't mean going to the gym and benching and curling for 2 hours.

Posted On:
    7/17/2008 5:18am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd rather not derail this thread too much so we'll discuss it in pms if you want, basically i am already close to over training and if i added even 2 weight sessions i'll definitely be doing it. Also, in order to put on muscle mass i'd need to eat an insane amount just to get a calorie surplus from 12 hours a week MT cardio work, if you mean just strength training then yeah that'd work. I'll probably start adding in strength training in a month or two.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 10:07am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just started boxing lessons. I'm into about a week of training and I'm as addicted to it as I am bjj.

I am however sick of wearing the smelly nasty gym gloves. I asked the coach for what to buy and he said 16 ounce training gloves and recommend I look on ringside.com. He said to start with training gloves so I could use them for bagwork and sparring until I get more serious. So I've narrowed it down to a few and wanted any feedback you guys might have. He also recommended I stay away from laces (probably because he is sick of having to glove everyone in the gym who uses the gloves he provides).

Ringside Safety Training Gloves - Hook & Loop

Ringside International Training Gloves - Hook & Loop Cuff

Grant Campeón Hook & loop Training Gloves

I also looked at Cleto Reyes and Rival, but their prices were significantly higher and I wasn't sure I was ready to make such a large investment. In any case, does anyone have an insight on what would be the best choice?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    I've just started boxing lessons. I'm into about a week of training and I'm as addicted to it as I am bjj.

I am however sick of wearing the smelly nasty gym gloves. I asked the coach for what to buy and he said 16 ounce training gloves and recommend I look on ringside.com. He said to start with training gloves so I could use them for bagwork and sparring until I get more serious. So I've narrowed it down to a few and wanted any feedback you guys might have. He also recommended I stay away from laces (probably because he is sick of having to glove everyone in the gym who uses the gloves he provides).

Ringside Safety Training Gloves - Hook & Loop

Ringside International Training Gloves - Hook & Loop Cuff

Grant Campeón Hook & loop Training Gloves

I also looked at Cleto Reyes and Rival, but their prices were significantly higher and I wasn't sure I was ready to make such a large investment. In any case, does anyone have an insight on what would be the best choice?
    both of the ringside gloves are *very* similar and are both excellent choices (if you want to save a bit of money, the top contender branded safety gloves are almost as nice as the ringside branded ones.)

grant has a great rep, but those are their budget line, so i can't be sure about how nice they are.

i have used the ringside ones, the combat sports version, the top contender version, and my current gloves the ringside IMF safety glove, and they are *all* excellent choices.

the IMF ones are the best i have tried, and they really do reduce impact quite a bit.

sorry if my post was full of information but not really helpful. to be honest there isn't a huge difference between the gloves you linked to, you didn't choose any crappy gear to compare.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:59am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have any experience with Everlasts new Protex2 gloves? I'm really hesitant to trust everlast, because of the junk they produce, but I think that is just in their budget line.

http://www.combatsports.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVPT2TG

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 2:33pm

Style: San Shou, MT, & No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Mac View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Everlasts new Protex2 gloves? I'm really hesitant to trust everlast, because of the junk they produce, but I think that is just in their budget line.

http://www.combatsports.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVPT2TG
    To be honest with you i think you should just stay away from Everlast completely, pretty much everything i've bought from them just rips or breaks within 2 - 3 months.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiningwolf View Post
    To be honest with you i think you should just stay away from Everlast completely, pretty much everything i've bought from them just rips or breaks within 2 - 3 months.

I've had the same experience with evercrap. Right now I'm liking my gloves from Piranha Fight Gear.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 3:24pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    both of the ringside gloves are *very* similar and are both excellent choices (if you want to save a bit of money, the top contender branded safety gloves are almost as nice as the ringside branded ones.)

grant has a great rep, but those are their budget line, so i can't be sure about how nice they are.

i have used the ringside ones, the combat sports version, the top contender version, and my current gloves the ringside IMF safety glove, and they are *all* excellent choices.

the IMF ones are the best i have tried, and they really do reduce impact quite a bit.

sorry if my post was full of information but not really helpful. to be honest there isn't a huge difference between the gloves you linked to, you didn't choose any crappy gear to compare.
    Hmm, thanks that helps. However, now I have to decide if I want the normal gloves of the IMF gloves LOL.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 3:34pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiningwolf View Post
    Even their more expensive stuff? Can you give an example of a particular product?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    Hmm, thanks that helps. However, now I have to decide if I want the normal gloves of the IMF gloves LOL.
    i got the IMF gloves cause i was training and coaching a *lot* and also i am getting old and appreciate the lesser strain on my joints.

they do absorb a lot of impact, when i first got them i though i was having a bad day and was punching like a schoolgirl, but i had a friend hold mitts for me and he said that i was hitting just as hard, i just wasn't feeling much of the impact.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19202122 ... LastLast