Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:07pm

Style: sue-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Racist~

BTW you will never understand the internet completely because you are not American. We invented it.
    Since most of the Internet is in english, this kind of holds true for most Asians.

And wushu is a modern communist creation. I don't think even most Chinese would think it's all that useful in a fight if they watch it for more than 10 minutes. My girlfriend is from mainland China and even she went, 'What the hell? Does that even work?' after she watched it (here in America, no less, where she's probably seen more wushu than back in China).

Now why did the communist make up this showy wushu thing? That's another whole can of worms, but I think it's safe to say that it wasn't to make the average peasant an effective fighter.

And you can start hurling attacks at the OP, but I agree that he's got some pretty good points that are hard to deny. The subject may be touchy, and he may or may not have presented it in the best way depending on you, but personally, I think he's handling himself pretty well by not resorting to simple one-liner flames (no, that wasn't a stab at you, y9kroon).
    Last edited by 720swork; 12/14/2005 6:10pm at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What culture do I have to understand to get better at boxing? Becasue all this time I've been working out and training but I'm only getting slighltly better. And thank you for making me realize that it's not my hours in the dojo making better at Enshin, but the hours I spend at the Sushi bar, and watching hentai.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    modern wushu is a performance art requiring great atheleticism. understand it for what it is, and you can appreciate it for what it is. I don't care if it's useless, I wish I was physially capable of doing the stuff I see Wu Shu performers doing 'Chang Quan' routines doing.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Chinese will go to hell also. At least 80% of them. Because Christianity is a western culture thing.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:16pm

Style: ShaoLin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    Interesting article....just one question....

If China is so crowded that the only thing that works is _ing _ung then why do you have flashy arts like Wushu?
    I did not say that.

Nothing is 100%.

There are situtations where WC will works, there are situtations where other styles will be better. Simple as that. But I guess my arguement is against those that say WC is completely useless. Well, given the situtation in China, BJJ and a lot of MT moves can be useless too. You don't see people in China laughing at BJJ or MT. They don't need to.

Wushu came from a fighting art, but its more for performance. This is another reason you need to learn the culture to understand the art.

Back in the days, people do street performace to earn income. Street performace includes breaking a rock on your head. Sticking a spear in your throat breaking it. They also fight on the street for income. In order for two person to know what the hell they are doing, they'd go, "Ok, you punch me, and I'll block. Then I kick you back, and you'll jump."

Martial artist needs to make a living too man. Just like they do today.

Great, they go out and perform on the street and people would put money in their little pot. People in China still do this. Just last month there was a news in Hong Kong that little kids were performing on the streets, and the cops had to stop it.

This is where Wushu is, live performance of real martial artist. Now........they skip the fighting part, and get down to performace. Hey, movies need stunt mans too man.

Besides, the Chinese government does not "encourage" martial art schools for a while, limiting the people's ability to fight back against the government. (like the shaolin monks did). Thats why the Chinese art is more for performace than fighting for while..........

If the US government comes to your Dojo and tell you can't can't spar, what are you going to do? Do Kata for a living! Thats what the Chinese did. And if all you do is Kata, then people would laugh and say you guys are dancing. But the fact is, they can't help it.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:19pm

Style: ShaoLin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 720swork
    Now why did the communist make up this showy wushu thing? That's another whole can of worms, but I think it's safe to say that it wasn't to make the average peasant an effective fighter.
    Oh wow. I made my post before reading that.

Yes.........if a government tells you you can't spar, if you do you'll go to jail. I am sure you'll do Kata for the rest of your life too.

If you learn the culture, the history, you'll learn to respect the people that does it.
    Last edited by ClA; 12/14/2005 6:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:23pm

Style: sue-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    modern wushu is a performance art requiring great atheleticism. understand it for what it is, and you can appreciate it for what it is. I don't care if it's useless, I wish I was physially capable of doing the stuff I see Wu Shu performers doing 'Chang Quan' routines doing.
    *claps*

*claps louder*

*claps until my hands bleed*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:24pm

Style: Byakuren Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I don't do WC, I also think he has some valid points about culture.

(Like the constant crazy BS that comes from enforced political correctness is a symptom of our Western culture. Is it ok to open a door for a lady anymore or is that sexist? That kind of bullshit.)

If you are going to learn any ART then you need to understand the culture that created it.

HOWEVER, where he goes sideways is assuming that the ART is important to everyone here. I would argue that for a lot here, and indeed a majority of the pro fighters in UFC/Pride etc., that the ART portion is second (if at all) to the SKILLS.

MT teaches awesome leg skills. I don't need to know the Thai dance to know a low kick hurts like hell, or to become proficient in using it. Same with WC-related skills. I would use tight,straight hits (WCish) in a cramped environment that required it, but thats a SKILL set, not an ART form.

All and all a good intentioned post....but one that assumes people give a **** about the 'deeper' aspects of fighting arts. I do, but I don't think most of the guys who are focused strictly on fighting MMA do. Firstly because its a sport/athletic endeavour that is not philosophically based, and secondly because MMA draws SKILLS from so many different cultures and cultural subsets that it would be impossible to experience them all.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts are about learning to fight. You aren't going 'deeper' by using them to do something else. You are at best going sideways, and at worst turning into a new age flake who's trying to rationalise the fact that hard sparring is scarey.

That doesn't mean I can't appreciate Wu Shu for what it is. Just the same way I can appreciate a display of ski-jump or skateboard tricks. I don't see any use in them, but I still think 'wow, that must've taken a lot of practice. I wish I could do that'.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whites and Asians will never understand Martial Arts because all Martial Arts come from AFRICA!!! AFRICA is the wellspring from which all MA spring from. Since most of you don't have the right pigment in your skin you will NEVER under stand it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast