Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364243444546 4748 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 7:58am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by martialfiend

My advice if you're not asian or chinese is to either have lived in china or at least done a cultural tour if you want to be a hard core maer

WTF?! :eusa_eh:
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:10am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    :new_birth turd eating commences now
    So by failure to defend your own opinions, by default, you recognize the falacy of your statements?

Congradulations. Admiting one's own faults is just the first step.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    So by failure to defend your own opinions, by default, you recognize the falacy of your statements?

Congradulations. Admiting one's own faults is just the first step.
    you're just pissy because you wasted so much time training in a **** style
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Please provide evidence or reasonable argument that isshinryu is a poor style. I recognize its faults (focus on close in techniques while neglecting longer range techniques, not much emphasis on takedowns), and have trained (and start this sunday in judo) in other styles to remedy areas in which the style lacks (most noteably a ground component).

Its a 50 year old martial art not weighed down by tradition like other okinawan styles. Doesn't train with deep stances, focuses on LOW kicks (there are no kicks above the waist taught in the style, though some schools do teach them for point fighting tournaments, but it is not a part of the curriculum), only has 8 forms, which are not the focus of training. Sparring intensity varies each school (ive trained with people who hardly sparred at all, to ones where people hit each other with a telephone reciever, you can go find a post of mine on rec.martialarts from a couple years back detailing it).

No, the only reason I responded to your comments, is to demonstrate not only lack of independant thought on your part, but lack of expereince as well as an inability to see the value in other forms of training. I suggest you approach things with an open mind, rather than looking for self-enforcement or your own views. Otherwise, you are merely pontificating on various subjects without having experinced things yourself.

You are more than welcome to demonstrate otherwise.
    Last edited by hl1978; 1/17/2006 10:21am at . Reason: misspelled self

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 10:33am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds great. How about you come show her at the Nashville Throwdown this weekend?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Sounds great. How about you come show her at the Nashville Throwdown this weekend?
    Sure, if I wanted to skip my first judo class on sunday.

https://registration.co.arlington.va.us/

click on there and search for judo for begininers and you will find the class i am taking, if you dont believe me. Besides, I have nothing to prove regarding my own physical abilities (nor have they been called into question), and I have not questioned Kidspatula's techniques, nor her commitment to training. Rather, I have called into question her reasoning for her opinions, and openmindedness.

The above request for demonstration was not a request for "gong sau!" It was merely a request for reasoned discourse.

I believe she was considering attending the summer throwdown in baltimore, so if anyone wants a friendly sparring match, I am more than willing to oblige. I'm happy to work out with anyone, as long as they aren't bringing their egos, or something to prove, to the table.
    Last edited by hl1978; 1/17/2006 10:44am at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can postone your Day 1 class for a week and come play... you would enjoy it, I think. No one said anything about gong sau; just come. Additionally, feel free to come down to ATL sometime.

EDIT: Man, that site's navigation was apparently designed by hyperactive autistic monkey zombies intent on punishing anyone foolish enough to try to search.
    Last edited by Locu5; 1/17/2006 10:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    You can postone your Day 1 class for a week and come play... you would enjoy it, I think. No one said anything about gong sau; just come. Additionally, feel free to come down to ATL sometime.

EDIT: Man, that site's navigation was apparently designed by hyperactive autistic monkey zombies intent on punishing anyone foolish enough to try to search.

yeah no kidding it was a pain in the ass to register as for the longest time the class number was blocked by a button. i had to view a PDF to actually find the number and register online!

Sure, Id love to make it to a throwdown. For now, Ill probably stick to the baltimore ones simply because they are only an hour away. I wish I knew when the next one was, perhaps I should post in the throwdown section to get one going for next month.

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattr
    It's not cultish nonsense and it doesn't only apply to martial arts. When you're a member of any club or organization, you feel a sense of belonging. It's human nature.

I have felt like this on many occasions, most notably when I was younger and studying Shaolin Fists. We felt like a big family. An elite family at that. And not in a 'cult' sense either.

I would imagine that anyone who has devoted years to a particular activity would feel the same.
    You keep using the word "elite". That's your false sense of empowerment talking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 11:37am

Style: isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad we've established that. Now it's time to discern what your major malfunction is.

(oh noes! Another isshinryu goon!)

Being a senior member of a forum that purports to drive the BS from martial arts, I'm surprised that you still subscribe to the ignorant notion that a particular style or lineage matters beyond the very beginning of ones martial arts life. If you train hard in the basics of any style, you already have a solid foundation. If you expand your knowledge by learning from other styles and sparring with different types of people (styles, sizes), your style becomes your own - a reflection of all the experiences and drive that you bring with it.

Ok, I'm at work, so I have a no-narrative policy. Stop trolling and insulting other members' styles unless you can back it up, if that's not too much to ask.