Posted On:
    1/16/2006 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    im not all 'holier than thou'

if you wanna perceive it as me thinking im better than you, well you can think what you want man.

but thats not it.

all im doing is questioning your attitude.
    Please leave attitude out of Martial arts.

Consider two jabs.

A sloppy jab thrown by a crappy boxer in an amateur match. It sucks, ok?

A fast, stiff jab a mugger users to knock out an innocent person on the street.

Which is the better jab? The mugger's.
    As a martial artist, you must be able to look objectively at the two techniques and say, the mugger's jab is better. If you're jab is lacking, then you should emulate the mugger's technique.
    NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE MUGGER'S MORALS, you should be able to say to yourself as a martial artist, I want to have a jab like that.

That's why some on this forum could not give a **** about the co-training of morals and martial arts - it doesn't improve their martial skill. Who cares how they develop as a person? Let them answer that question on their own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 6:31pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    Please leave attitude out of Martial arts.

Consider two jabs.

A sloppy jab thrown by a crappy boxer in an amateur match. It sucks, ok?

A fast, stiff jab a mugger users to knock out an innocent person on the street.

Which is the better jab? The mugger's.
    As a martial artist, you must be able to look objectively at the two techniques and say, the mugger's jab is better. If you're jab is lacking, then you should emulate the mugger's technique.
    NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE MUGGER'S MORALS, you should be able to say to yourself as a martial artist, I want to have a jab like that.

That's why some on this forum could not give a **** about the co-training of morals and martial arts - it doesn't improve their martial skill. Who cares how they develop as a person? Let them answer that question on their own.

Thankyou for your insight.

Obviously i have been trained and brought up differently in martial arts to some people in this forum.

But i take this as an opportunity to learn.

I admit that you are right in this aspect, and i am wrong (to an extent)

what is your personal opinion of a persons attitude and personality developing alongside martial arts?

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is exactly the kind of ignorant attitude the guy who started this thread was talking about!

Is it just kicking a bag to you? an excuse to brawl?

ever heard of a thing called 'self-development' ?

shouldt we be incorporating your training into your every day life, instead of flipping out and getting straight on the abusive defensive?

Im guessing you train at some redneck dojo, where all that matters is beating on people?

Im sorry you havent had the oportunities to explore as much of the martial arts world as other people. Im sorry you havent had a chance to broaden your mind and LEARN from your art.

But thats not my fault. You can just go on abusing people. Make you feel good? make you feel equal, to the 'macho-men' of the martial arts world ?

listen man, i dont care if your a woman or if your the best martial artist or the worst martial artist, but you got nothing to prove. Youre going on and on as if theres some reason to tear people down and hate like that. well there isnt.

so just chill out.
    Here's another post I made in an earlier thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    BJJ has made me a model citizen. Since I started taking it I have gained:

-The ability to completely dedicate myself to important goals while ignoring distractions
    -Undying respect for my superiors, which they earned instead of demanding
    -Improved physical condition and a better understanding of my own body
    -A better attitude about competition
    -A sensible haircut

In fact, it undid all the damage done to me by a school that sought to supplant the martial aspects of its art with these false notions of personal and cultural development. Your vision of society is one of falsely empowered weaklings.
    To summarize: Forced character development in the martial arts is cocking shite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 6:56pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jez stated.
    I'm guessing the Western Europeans got wasted.
    Yes. The useless footsoilder became a prominent part of the battlefield again.

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what is your personal opinion of a persons attitude and personality developing alongside martial arts?
    A person should draw analogies between his MA and his life only if he so chooses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 7:44pm

Style: Self-Protection

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd just like to see the many different martial arts advertised correctly. It annoys me when a particular art is put forward as the best form of self-defence, or a complete art, or the most powerful. I think what most non-Asians understand about Asian martial arts is that they are not always fit for purpose... that purpose being what you want from the art. I would assume that the majority of westerners take up a martial art so that they will be able to defend themselves... in which case, MOST martial arts are definately not fit for purpose.

It helps if people know what they want from a martial art. If you wish to take up a physical art form steeped in rich cultural significance that will bestow you with powerful skills of physical expression and some appreciation of fighting concepts, then a CMA would suit you. So what is it you want? Fitness? Strength? Flexibility? A sense of belonging to an elite family? Practice your Kung Fu, your Karate, your Aikido etc.

Do you want to be able to defend yourself in the street? Okay, forget your Kung Fu, your Karate, your Aikido etc. Get a self-defence class. But it's a tough one. There are so many **** excuses for self-defence out there. You will probably need to check out loads of classes before you find a decent one.

Then, of course, there's the sure fire bet... MMA. Cross-training. Muay Thai. Keysi. Boxing. Judo. BJJ. Hard contact sparring, 'alive' training, reading Geoff Thompson. Following Jeet Kune Do Concepts and absorbing what is useful. Whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all systems have something to offer as we all have different requirements. I just wish there was more honesty and clarity in the martial arts world so that we can all choose systems that are truly fit for purpose.

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattr
    I just wish there was more honesty and clarity in the martial arts world so that we can all choose systems that are truly fit for purpose.
    Namely, the removal of the "martial" prefix from arts that do not practice to fight.

A sense of belonging to an elite family? Practice your Kung Fu, your Karate, your Aikido etc.
    What kind of cultish nonsense is this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:23pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    yes, everything about wing chun sucks, now go eat a turd.
    wow, thats ignorant!

I dont study WC, but had the opportunity to workout with some guys who did a couple years back. Picked up a couple of worthwhile drills. There is definatly some merit to the style. I did aikido for a semester in college. I learned how to fall and do breakfalls reasonably well, hence I learned something so it did not totally "suck". Could I have learned how to fall and roll in judo, BJJ or any other art, of course, but it was a concept still worth learning. Despite its other faults, that art is not totally useless for that reason. Actually after doing kendo, a lot of the techniques actually make sense, but dont seem to transition as well for empty handed techniques.

Are you basing that opinion after sparring WC practicioners? Working out with any practitioners? Attending a class? Or purely from watching videos, or following the prevaling opinion of others on Bullshido?

I base my opinions on firsthand experience, I can only hope that others do the same.
    Last edited by hl1978; 1/16/2006 10:29pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    wow, thats ignorant!

I dont study WC, but had the opportunity to workout with some guys who did a couple years back. Picked up a couple of worthwhile drills. There is definatly some merit to the style. I did aikido for a semester in college. I learned how to fall and do breakfalls reasonably well, hence I learned something so it did not totally "suck". Could I have learned how to fall and roll in judo, BJJ or any other art, of course, but it was a concept still worth learning. Despite its other faults, that art is not totally useless for that reason. Actually after doing kendo, a lot of the techniques actually make sense, but dont seem to transition as well for empty handed techniques.

Are you basing that opinion after sparring WC practicioners? Working out with any practitioners? Attending a class? Or purely from watching videos, or following the prevaling opinion of others on Bullshido?

I base my opinions on firsthand experience, I can only hope that others do the same.

Isshin Ryu sucks too, now you go eat a turd aswell.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not all 'holier than thou'

if you wanna perceive it as me thinking im better than you, well you can think what you want man.

but thats not it.

all im doing is questioning your attitude.

and im not saying im perfect! im far from perfect! i just think its important that we all strive to be caring towards others, and incorporate training into our lives, in a good way!

and as for the warriors that killed people, yes, they did kill people. that dosent mean they have no respect, or that they havent found a higher meaning to their art.

look at the samurai. they had a warriors code. im sure youre familiar with it?

they valued honour, respect, etc etc, all the things that you seem to think dont apply to martial arts.

but i guess you and your redneck buddies could 'beat the ****' out of a samurai anyday, huh?

The samurai executed and cut down unarmed citizens. The concept of bushido was a development to prevent the rampant violence that the samurai were commiting in the later years after the warring states period. The learned warrior concept was basically inclined toward future leaders and the ruling elite, the common samurai did not have much education in such matters other than refining their skills and attitudes to make themselves better killers. That was their job and they did it well.

And the higher meaning stuff is for older people who have spent 20 years training hard. Don't try to circumvent the system by turning into a hippy at a young age, it will ruin the years that you are supposed to be training hard.

Martial arts are not equal, Wing Tsun could have been a great martial art if it wasn't mutated by a bunch a sissys that were adverse to fighting. Muay Thai and the like have evolved from competition and are well suited to their arenas.
    Last edited by MONGO; 1/16/2006 10:33pm at . Reason: spelling