Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A simple symptom of Orientophilia
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:48pm

Style: ShaoLin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito
    Just so you know, there's this thing in most of the arts you diss that they call the clinch. That's where you throw from and where you use knees. Very close range. MMA isn't just roundhouse - takedown - grappling. Close range is just one of the ranges that you need to learn to handle.
    I am a MT student. I know. And I did not "diss" any art.

The clinch works, and is the most dangerous thing I've ever learned.

But, just because one art works, doesn't mean another art doesn't right?

How does the example of a clinch take anything away from other arts?

MT works very well. Why? THAT too you need to understand the culture of Thailand.

In Thailand, MT is LIFE!! Without MT, there won't be thailand.

MT is a major form of income for a lot of people in that country. Winning means food for the family. If it takes kicking their shin against a big ass tree everyday, then yes, that's what they'd do to win, and put food on the table.

Thats the thailand culture, and that is why MT works! Their life depends on it! A lot of people talk about eblows and knees in MT, but they never talk about one thing very important: The MT dance. Why would someone invent a "dance" for a fighting art? Because it is their LIFE!! Their culture!!

None of the UFC people even pay any attention to the dance. And that is sad.

Most of us here on the internet, if we take MA out of our lives, we'd still live.

Take MT out of Thailand?? A lot of guys'd have to be transexuals to make some money.

This is why MT is so aggressive. If my family's food and rent money depends on it, **** I'll invent something to kill anyone in the ring too!!

This is why Americans will never understand. You sit on your ass in front of the computer talking and disrespecting about different martial arts.

In asia, martial art is life itself.

MT works. But so does WC. Know their people. Know their culture. Then respect their life and their art.
    Last edited by ClA; 12/14/2005 5:56pm at .

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Because of the popularity of Bruce Lee, lots and lots of Wing Chun and other chinese martial art schools were set up in the west which offer poor quality unrealistic training in order to bring in money.

Look at the threads involving video of JFS or KungFuDoesWork sparring. They are both practitioners of chinese martial arts with no unrealistic ideas about chi, and people were approving of what they saw because they could see that both guys had practiced in a tough and realistic manner.

When people practicing chinese martial arts demonstrate that they understand the limits of what they practice, and that they practice in realistic way applicable to really learning how to fight, people are generally quite happy to accept the value of their training.

But people don't generally trust chinese martial arts until proven otherwise because it seems so hard to find a good school outside of Asia.
    Well trust me, its getting harder to find a good school in Asia too.

Asians are selfish. They have their politics too.

But I agree with you, Americans ruins a lot of imports. Just look at the "street racers" out there..........

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClA
    Well trust me, its getting harder to find a good school in Asia too.

Asians are selfish. They have their politics too.

But I agree with you, Americans ruins a lot of imports. Just look at the "street racers" out there..........

I don't think it's fair to blame americans. A lot of the most dishonest instructors teaching the worst, most watered down stuff with the most silly claims about chi are chinese guys who saw an opportunity to make money from people who didn't know much about chinese martial arts/
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sir, although you take Muay Thai you will never understand more than 80% of it because you do not understand Muay Thai culture because you are not Thai.

I am 100% certain of this.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I don't think it's fair to blame americans. A lot of the most dishonest instructors teaching the worst, most watered down stuff with the most silly claims about chi are chinese guys who saw an opportunity to make money from people who didn't know much about chinese martial arts/
    Thats why I said we Chinese knows about scammers.

Just search "LV Bag" on ebay and you know what I am talking about.

I am not "blaming" americans for scams. A lot of them are victims.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:00pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting article....just one question....

If China is so crowded that the only thing that works is _ing _ung then why do you have flashy arts like Wushu?

Why did the Japanese fighters concentrate on linear striking techniques rather than incorporating hooks into karate? (yeah I know there are "sorta hook" punches in karate but you know what I mean). Is there a cultural basis for that as well?

I see your point on "WC works in close quarters" but all arts must evolve or die. That's why cross training is so important...you need to be able to fight at all ranges to be a well rounded fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:02pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeneathTheMissletoe
    We Brits also invented the Concentration Camp. Hooray for us!

Really? So what about all those ancient egyptian pharoahs with their pyramids? Were the slaves being forced to build them given air conditioned condos to live in?

And does anyone else think the guy at 3:35 looks kinda like Stephan Bonnar?
    Last edited by The Limey; 12/14/2005 6:07pm at .

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Sir, although you take Muay Thai you will never understand more than 80% of it because you do not understand Muay Thai culture because you are not Thai.

I am 100% certain of this.
    I know you are joking. But yes, thats what I am trying to say.

You don't have to be thai, the color of your skin doesn't matter. But you might have to live there and learn the culture. Thats why I mention "culture" and not "skin color".

By American, I mean "American culture".

This is why I said, if you live in China for a while, you'll understand why Wing Chun can be useful there. Is it the best art?? There is no such thing. But if you under-estimate it, or disrespect it, you'll never gain anything from it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the guy has some valid points. Although he could have phrased things a bit better in some places.
    The culture which surrounds any art is always a factor. I think he is right about alot of what he said.
    Good post.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast