Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 3:08pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shoulder choke

Hello,

I have been wondering about a technique I keep using. If its legit, if it has a name, and why it works. I figure someone here who has lots more experience might have some answers.

Sorry I don't have pic, but when I have a camera, I don't have mats, and when I have mats, I don't have a camera...but I'm working on this.

Anyway,

It starts pretty simple:
    1. In opponents half-guard, he pulls you flat, chest to chest.

2. I wrap the arm opposite my trapped leg (right leg trapped, left arm) around behind my opponents head and work my shoulder up under their chin.

3. I smash my weight down on my shoulder by posting my free leg and pushing with it

4.This shoulder push, in effect, controls thier head and makes it really hard to take you back or slide out.

5. from this I use my free right arm to push down on his trapping leg and pull mine free and shoot my other knee over their belly into a side headlock.

6. Normally this seems just like a side headlock, but I found that if I stay flat to them and rotate my body to a 90 degree angle it tightens the shoulder area down into their trachea and\or one of their carotids producing a choke\strangle.

Its not an arm triangle since I don't have either of his arms trapped.

I don't know what to call this, or even if I'm re-inventing the wheel here. Is there a complimentary technique or name in Judo?

Feedback much appriciated :headbang: .
    Last edited by Killbot; 12/14/2005 4:01pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 3:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is going to sound condescending but your training partners suck. Unless you left out something they shouldn't be tapping to that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm beginning to wonder that myself.

However, the 1/2guard pass part works almost every time, even on the blue and purple belts in our class.

and the choke I get to work probably 1/3 times.

It is really tight after the gurad pass part. Sometimes I worry I'm gonna seperate their skull from their spine.

I think that #6 is a little inaccurate. I should go back and edit it (done!). I don't really sit out, I stay chest to chest and just turn my body to be 90 degrees to theirs. I think this is what puts alot of twist on their throat\neck.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Killbot; 12/14/2005 4:03pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 4:05pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why aren't they just Rolling you between 3 and 4? There must be something I'm missing in your description.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 4:15pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds as if you're basically just passing with head control- the pass will be easier if you sit the same side hip (same side as the arm with head control) to kick your leg out.

Head control is a very effective way of passing the guard, as you've obviously found out. It combines well with passing with an underhook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Why aren't they just Rolling you between 3 and 4? There must be something I'm missing in your description.
    You're probably not missing anything. Its probably my lousy description.

3. I smash my weight down on my shoulder by posting my free leg and pushing with it
    Well, I do sort of stand up (Read: stick my butt in the air) and post my leg outside theirs, and post my free arm out. So I have my left leg and right arm posted.
    I think that is essentially what keeps them from turning me. Posting is the Anti-sweep...er I mean 4NT1- $W33P.

Plus I think once that shoulder is in their chin, it makes it pretty hard to move freely...especially once you come down on it with your weight. Its a sort of spine control which makes it really hard to turn. They can bridge pretty freely, but the roll is near impossible once you jam 'em.

Rock!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 5:26pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only 2 days ago i tapped to this technique, it was starting to twist my neck quite a bit (teh deadly neck crank) and i did not want to risk injury

the guy did this to me from side control, not half gaurd. no idea what its called

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 9:01pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In side control, I thought jamming your shoulder into their face/neck was just part of the "good side control" technique. People are tapping to that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2005 9:43pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shoulder into neck, arm wrapped around head in something resembling a sideways guillotine, then twisting = neck crank (in my sitation anyway)

i could have probably escaped unharmed, but i like to be careful with my neck, so i tapped and went back to training normally

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2005 1:17am

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a judo sidemount called yoko-shiho-gatame that sounds kind of like this. I tapped to it the first time someone applied it and got laughed at for being such a *****.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast