232293 Bullies, 3998 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 82
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Devildog is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:00pm


     Style: Hwardo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is exactly why people should study more than one MA. If all you study is BJJ, then, most likely, your stand-up is going to suck, if you are a TKD guy, then, most likely, your ground game is going to suck. The answer is so obvious, not one MA is the best or any better than any other MA for two reasons. 1, no MA is perfect, you have to combine different styles that will give you solid well rounded fighting skills, and 2, you only get out of MA what you put into it.
  2. Ronin is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,894

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:04pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    This is exactly why people should study more than one MA. If all you study is BJJ, then, most likely, your stand-up is going to suck, if you are a TKD guy, then, most likely, your ground game is going to suck. The answer is so obvious, not one MA is the best or any better than any other MA for two reasons. 1, no MA is perfect, you have to combine different styles that will give you solid well rounded fighting skills, and 2, you only get out of MA what you put into it.

    That is the beauty of cross training and MMA.

    You won't be able to out throw a BB judoka, BUT you can out strike him.
    You won't be able to out strike a PRO MT fighter, but you can out grapple them on the ground.
    You won't be able to out grapple a BJJ BB, but you can get the skills to keep from getting tapped like a keyboard.

    And the other point that will keep BJJ from becoming OVERLY McDodofied is the openess to cross train.
  3. Planktime is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    402

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:13pm


     Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    A couple of questions

    A little thread hijack here but, isn't the Clench a form of stand up grappling? You defiantly have some knees and elbows in there but it can quickly move to the ground with the use of throws and take downs? So if this is the case then wouldnít BJJ be useful in two or more ranges of combat?

    Sorry for the noob question but I donít do BJJ and havenít grappled for years. That will change soon though in Jan I am restarting Judo.
  4. EnaeS is offline
    EnaeS's Avatar

    Hooked on Monkey Phonics

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    161

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:16pm

    supporting member
     Style: bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    This is as much a fallacy as "You can use the same motions from the kata on the ground!" Standing armlocks and chokes are, for example, legal in Judo, but they are also extremely rare, because controlling someone standing is different from controlling someone on the ground.
    first i would like to say that i am a white belt with about 1 year of experience in BJJ so take as you will when considering what i say, i don't claim to be an expert but i see no real difference in controling someone with say a RNC choke (ask Omega) or cross choke(i'm gonna say that with the caveat that they have a heavy shirt/jacket on as opposed to a t shirt that easily rips) or any of the chokes that don't need you leveraging off the ground to apply them, i will admit that positional control is harder when you don't have the ground to force them against

    you also have the throws that any grappling system may have

    did you really mean to compare anything used in a kata to a tech. taht someone has practiced in an alive manner, plus you are comparing two trained fighters in a compitetion to someone USUALLY going against an untrained opponent on the street. From what i've read most people on this board, when talking about a street fight, assume that your opponent will be untrained

    Also i think the knowledge a grappler would have of positional control would be a great asset when trying to apply these techniques on the street, especially in an art that trains to transition from one failed to another
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disqualify you.
    "Second place!, That's just a fancy word for losing."
  5. Baator-Steel is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jackson Ky
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:27pm


     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo Army
    Baator-Steel do you do brazilian or japanese Jui Jitsu
    Japanese but I do suplement it with BJJ and other stuff. I have all the gracie tapes and the Gokor videos so I like to try some of it in class.
  6. Baator-Steel is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jackson Ky
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:34pm


     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    This is as much a fallacy as "You can use the same motions from the kata on the ground!" Standing armlocks and chokes are, for example, legal in Judo, but they are also extremely rare, because controlling someone standing is different from controlling someone on the ground...
    Alot of chokes work very well standing. They are not as nice as on the ground thats true. I love Judo but I think the reason standing chokes are not used as much is because throws are a bigger concern and showing skill in competition.
  7. lawdog is offline

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,660

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baator-Steel
    Alot of chokes work very well standing. They are not as nice as on the ground thats true. I love Judo but I think the reason standing chokes are not used as much is because throws are a bigger concern and showing skill in competition.
    In judo tournaments many chokes are initiated standing, usually as a counter to a failed throw, but are almost always taken to the ground to finish.

    The reason the judoka doesn't remain on his feet to finish the choke is that it's much more difficult to control your opponent while standing (even in a choke) than it is on the mat.
  8. Baator-Steel is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jackson Ky
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:44pm


     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    In judo tournaments many chokes are initiated standing, usually as a counter to a failed throw, but are almost always taken to the ground to finish.

    The reason the judoka doesn't remain on his feet to finish the choke is that it's much more difficult to control your opponent while standing (even in a choke) than it is on the mat.
    Makes sense to me. We agree they can be used standing if need be.
  9. Ted Deadly is offline
    Ted Deadly's Avatar

    WTF???

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    206

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ LARPing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Itís a common misconception that BJJ doesnít have striking. As a matter of fact, several months ago we practiced up-kicking from our backs against a large pad.
    Mauro: Coming into the ring now is Giant Silva. 7 foot 2, 385 lbs, making his debut in Pride.
    Bas: Wow, that is one big guy!
    Mauro: He must have an enormous Johnson!
    Bas: UrÖI suppose.
    Mauro: What are his keys to victory here in the Pride ring tonight?
    Bas: Well I think he needs to use his reach, avoid Heaths takedowns, and try to use his size to overpower him.
    Mauro: I mean, imagine the size of that thing!
    Bas: Now Heath is coming into the ringÖ
    Mauro: Do women really like them that big? Doesnít it hurt?
    Bas: I really wouldnít know.
    Mauro: Iím starting to feel a little insecure.
    Bas: Letís just talk about the fight.
    Mauro: Youíre right, el Basito. What are Heaths keys to winning here tonight. What does he have to do? What are his strategies for emerging victorious here in the Saitama Super Arena tonight?
    Bas: Well, the first thingÖ
    Mauro: My wife says she doesnít like them too big, that itís all about how you use it.
    Bas: Thatís not what she told me.
  10. Yrkoon9 is offline
    Yrkoon9's Avatar

    Brock Sampson

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Land of the Living
    Posts
    4,590

    Posted On:
    12/14/2005 1:47pm

    supporting member
     Style: 5.56

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!




    Me choking a guy unconscious standing in a Judo tournament. Took about 3-4 seconds probably.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.